Why do people say the god of the bible is Omnisciencent?

by Elsewhere 96 Replies latest jw friends

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Would it still have been Adam's choice if God looked into the future and knew that he would?

Of course! The same as when we make advance preparations for our kids - just in case.

Sylvia

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Of course! The same as when we make advance preparations for our kids - just in case.

Sylvia

That wasn't the question. The question was would it still have been Adam's choice if God looked into the future and KNEW that Adam would sin. Since God is (supposedly) infallible and omniscient, in order to prove God right he would have had NO choice and would have had to sin to prove God right.

We make advance preparations for our kids not because we know something bad will happen but because we know there is a chance. Knowing there is a chance something will happen is not at all the same as knowing it WILL happen.

Now, you could say that the choice was Adam's right up until God looked into the future and saw the future, at which point Adam was locked onto the path that he would have decided on anyway, but that doesn't fly when you talk about things like the 10 plagues where God specifically hardened someone heart to do what God wanted them to do. That's rougly the equivalent of intentionally pissing off a child and then punishing them for gettin pissed off.

• snowbird
    snowbird

The question was would it still have been Adam's choice if God looked into the future and KNEW that Adam would sin.

And the answer is yes!

Since God is (supposedly) infallible and omniscient, in order to prove God right he would have had NO choice and would have had to sin to prove God right.

Assumptions.

Sylvia

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

And the answer is yes!

So if Adam had instead chosen to NOT sin, then God would have been wrong?

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Assumptions.

So you don't think God is infallible and omniscient?

• snowbird
    snowbird
    So if Adam had instead chosen to NOT sin, then God would have been wrong?

Wrong about what???

Sylvia

• undercover
    undercover
    Since God is (supposedly) infallible and omniscient, in order to prove God right he would have had NO choice and would have had to sin to prove God right.
    Assumptions.

Assuming, of course, that any of this really happened to begin with...

• sir82
    sir82

notverylikely,

While I understand your point, I don't think Sylvia does. You'd accomplish as much, and far more efficiently, if you just walked up to a brick wall and smacked your forehead against it 8 or 9 times.

• JWoods
    JWoods

Setting aside the "God" idea for a moment -

This whole subject is sort of like the "clockwork universe". (Rejected, of course, by modern quantum theory and cosmology)...

This is saying that everything that happens in the universe of the future is precisely predictable if you knew an initial universe state and knew the universal laws of physics perfectly.

Quantum theory (uncertainty) holds that such precise predictive behavior is not possible, even in theory.

Assuming, of course, that any of this really happened to begin with...

Undercover nicely points up another little problem with this line of reasoning...

• snowbird
    snowbird
    So you don't think God is infallible and omniscient?

I do, but at the same time I'm aware of my limitations in understanding the big picture.

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit