Why do people say the god of the bible is Omnisciencent?

by Elsewhere 96 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Gen 3:8,9 Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the LORD God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the LORD God among the trees of the garden. But the LORD God called to the man, "Where are you?"

In this passage in the bible the humans hid from the god and the god was left wondering around yelling: "Where are you?".

If the god is Omnisciencent, then why is it having to wonder around yelling and looking for the humans?

• snowbird
    snowbird

The Almighty was fully aware; He simply wanted them to act like men and own up to their transgressions.

Notice, in pronouncing sentence, He didn't question the Serpent?

He knew!

Sylvia

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

If God didn't know where they were, how did he know they were hiding amongst the trees.

Just because God asks us something it doesn;t mean he doesn't know, justlike when we ask our kids a question that we already know the answer to.

• snowbird
    snowbird

And, why on earth did you add an extra cen to omniscient?

LOL.

Sylvia

• sacolton
    sacolton

Only God knows.

• JWoods
    JWoods

Well, remember the old WT standby over "did God know that Adam would sin"?

They say that he "could have known, but chose NOT TO LOOK INTO THE ISSUE".

Of course, I never knew one JW to ever question how he "could have known" IF Adam REALLY had a choice in the matter.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    There is a distinction between:

inherent omniscience - the ability to know anything that one chooses to know and can be known.
      total omniscience - actually knowing everything that can be known.
    Some modern theologians argue that God's omniscience is inherent rather than total, and that God chooses to limit his omniscience in order to preserve the freewill and dignity of his creatures.

From trusty new Wiki:

The WT is not alone in this.

Tee hee hee.

Sylvia

• JWoods
    JWoods

But my point was that even if God has only the inherent sort of omniscience, this implies that he "could" know everything if he "chose" to.

Which in turn implies that whether he chose to or not, such things as Adam's course of action are set in advance - predestined, as it were.

Therefore, Adam was punished for an act in which he really had no free choice.

• snowbird
    snowbird

JWoods, I respectfully disagree.

I believe YHWH knew that Adam's sinning was a possibility, not probability, and because of that, He'd already set the wheels in motion for Adam's redemption.

Sylvia

• JWoods
    JWoods

So in effect, Sylvia, you are saying that YHWH could NOT have known for sure that Adam would sin?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit