Five Things You May ‘Know’ About Marijuana That Aren’t True

by Elsewhere 69 Replies latest social current

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Long-Term Pot Use Can Double Risk of Psychosis

Young people who smoke cannabis or marijuana for six years or more are twice as likely to have psychotic episodes, hallucinations or delusions than people who have never used the drug, scientists said on Monday.

The findings adds weight to previous research which linked psychosis with the drug — particularly in its most potent form as "skunk" — and will feed the debate about the level of controls over its use.

Despite laws against it, up to 190 million people around the world use cannabis, according to United Nations estimates, equating to about 4 percent of the adult population.

John McGrath of the Queensland Brain Institute in Australia studied more than 3,801 men and women born between 1981 and 1984 and followed them up after 21 years to ask about their cannabis use and assessed them for psychotic episodes. Around 18 percent reported using cannabis for three or fewer years, 16 percent for four to five years and 14 percent for six or more years. For most of the study, researchers didn't measure the frequency of cannabis use among subjects, but rather whether they used at all.

"Compared with those who had never used cannabis, young adults who had six or more years since first use of cannabis were twice as likely to develop a non-affective psychosis (such as schizophrenia)," McGrath wrote in a study published in the Archives of General Psychiatry journal.

. . .

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35642202/ns/health-addictions/

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

> Long-Term Pot Use Can Double Risk of Psychosis

Also in the news: Long-term use of Alcohol destroys the liver

Also in the news: Eating hamburgers causes Congestive heart failure and kills countless people every year.

Note: It is physically impossible to overdose on marijuana. No one in all of history has EVER been killed by marijuana.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Long-Term Pot Use Can Double Risk of Psychosis

No, it only speeds up onset if you are already on your way to being psychotic.

BTS

• shamus100
    shamus100

A lot of people smoke pot - as The Simpsons still being on television clearly demonstrates.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

I'd rather have a joint anyday..

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Junk Food May be as Addictive as Drugs
    http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=9083294

Fast food causes obesity, which is the second leading cause of death in the US and results in 400,000 deaths each year.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_food

Cigarettes kill more Americans than alcohol, car accidents, suicide, AIDS, homicide, and illegal drugs combined.
    http://www.cancer.org/docroot/PED/content/PED_10_2X_Cigarette_Smoking_and_Cancer.asp

• shamus100
    shamus100

Drug induced psychosis.... drug induced psychosis... drug induced psychosis; it is not your fault!

• oldflame
    oldflame

Recovering,

So is this what you are using to prove the dangers of pot smoking ? It is proven that ciggarettes are much more dangerous than a ciggarette but and known to kill thousands a year but there has never bben proof that a joint does the same. And yet ciggarettes are sold legally. It does not make sense.

I am a user , I have a prescription for it's use. It does not kill my pain but it does give me mobility. I would much rather use the weed than a bunch more pills on top of what I already take, and speaking of medications. They are filled with chemicals that are known to cause more problems and even death oveer the pot so no one can tell me that it is any more or any less dangerous than what we are already given in the pill form.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

wildflower: ".....where to get some!!"

Hang around any 7-11.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Why would a recreational pot user be any less productive than a guy who comes home and has three Scotches every night? If they are doing it while working, now that is a problem, just as alcohol would be. I once went to a pro pot rally, and there was a doctor there who said that hot smoke of any kind would do damage. So use a bong! That was actually a rather amazing event, the doctor up on stage with a megaphone, telling the crowd to use a bong. The smell of pot smoke in the air, the Democratic National Convention across the street.............

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit