Baby Murdered Because He Did Not Say Amen

by sammielee24 14 Replies latest jw friends

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

How sad.

Baby 'starved to death' because he did not say Amen

Sydney Morning Herald

(Left) Ria Ramkissoon and her son Javon Thompson, (top right) Queen Antoinette and (bottom right) Trevia Williams.

(Left) Ria Ramkissoon and her son Javon Thompson, (top right) Queen Antoinette and (bottom right) Trevia Williams. Photo: AP

For more than a week, Ria Ramkissoon watched passively as her one-year-old son wasted away, denied food and water because the older woman she lived with said it was God's will.

Javon Thompson was possessed by an evil spirit, Ramkissoon was told, because he didn't say "Amen" during a mealtime prayer. Javon didn't talk much, given his age, but he had said "Amen" before, Ramkissoon testified in a US court in Baltimore.

On the day Javon died, Ramkissoon was told to "nurture him back to life". She mashed up some carrots and tried to feed the boy, but he was no longer able to swallow. Ramkissoon put her hands on his chest to confirm that his heart had stopped beating.

Ramkissoon and several other people knelt down and prayed that he would rise from the dead. For weeks afterward, Ramkissoon spent much of her time in a room with her son's emaciated body — talking to him, dancing, even giving him water. She thought she could bring him back.

Ramkissoon told the tale of her son's excruciating death from the witness stand on Wednesday, at the trial of the woman she says told her not to feed the boy. Queen Antoinette was the leader of a small religious cult, according to police and prosecutors, and she faces murder charges alongside her daughter, Trevia Williams, and another follower, Marcus A. Cobbs.

The three are acting as their own attorneys.

Javon died in either December 2006 or January 2007; Ramkissoon isn't sure of the exact date. His body was hidden in a suitcase for more than a year and has since been buried. But even now, she maintains her faith in his resurrection.

"I still believe that my son is coming back," Ramkissoon said. "I have no problem saying what really happened because I believe he's coming back.

"Queen said God told her he would come back. I believe it. I choose to believe it," she said. "Even now, despite everything, I choose to believe it for my reasons."

Later, she acknowledged that her faith makes her sound crazy. "I don't have a problem sounding crazy in court," she said.

Ramkissoon, 23, was born in Trinidad and moved to Baltimore at age seven. She stands 5 feet (1.52 metres) tall and weighs about 100 pounds (45.4 kilograms).

She wore a white sweater and blue jeans and was calm throughout her testimony, speaking in a clear and even voice. She appeared mildly agitated at certain questions but otherwise showed little emotion, even as she described how her starving son lost weight, became lethargic and lost his voice.

She was led to the courtroom in handcuffs. She pleaded guilty last year to child abuse resulting in death, agreeing to the deal only under the condition that if Javon is resurrected, the plea will be vacated. Prosecutors and a judge accepted that extraordinary condition, specifying that only a "Jesus-like resurrection" would suffice.

Because Antoinette is representing herself, she was able to cross-examine the young woman who lived with her for two years, much of that time after her son's death.

Antoinette asked whether her statement about not feeding Javon was an order or a "suggestion".

Ramkissoon said she has consistently told prosecutors and her attorney that she was not forced to starve her son, but she made clear the idea was Antoinette's.

"When I was about to feed him," Ramkissoon said to Antoinette, "you said, 'You shouldn't feed him anything', and then you told me why. ... I believed you."

Williams and Cobbs also lived in the home, along with Antoinette's three other children and a childhood friend of Ramkissoon's. No one challenged Antoinette's statement that the boy should not be fed, Ramkissoon said.

Ramkissoon detailed how the group relocated to Philadelphia and brought Javon's body in a suitcase. She described how Javon was packed with sheets and blankets and how she sprayed his body with disinfectant and stuffed the suitcase with fabric softener sheets to mask the odour.

The suitcase was hidden in a shed in Philadelphia for more than a year before it was discovered by police, according to testimony.

Members of Antoinette's household were told to wear only white, blue and khaki. They left the home only in pairs, and they avoided doctors or hospitals. They destroyed identification cards and had little contact with their families.

Ramkissoon said she often questioned Antoinette's rules and orders but never disobeyed her because she believed her to be "a godly woman".

"Looking back now," Ramkissoon told Antoinette, "I won't say that everything you thought was right, was right

• cantleave
    cantleave

How tragic - an innocent life lost due to irrational beliefs.

• flipper
    flipper

These religious freaks in abusive cults should be strung up by their toenails , locked up in prison and the key thrown away. Ick

• mama1119
    mama1119

How awful.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Behold: Religion

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

This story makes me physically ill and almost hopeful for an afterlife...

• KW13
    KW13

i'd love to get hold of these parents. I'd make em pray, whether they'd manage to get to the amen part i don't know...sickening.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Oh, crap... EVERY time I see a story like this, the FIRST thing I think of is "Pascal's Wager"...

"If we believe God exists, then if he exists then we will receive an infinitely great reward in heaven...

While if he does not then we will have lost little or nothing....

If we do not believe in God, then if he exists we will receive an infinitely great punishment in hell...

while if he does not then we will have gained little or nothing...."

Stories like these are the MOST FORCEFUL argument against "Pascal's Wager" that could POSSIBLY exist!!! Belief in an invisible "sky god" makes you willing to do ANYTHING that any idiot tells you to do, if THEY claim to have "information from Gawd"... Including heretic burnings, witch burnings, Crusades [with their massacres...], religious wars [between the Protestants and the Catholics, among other adversaries...], Salem witch burnings, 1950's "Red Scare" and the subsequent 'blacklisting' of many talented people, violent attacks and murders of "gay" people, and so on...

The end results of superstitious belief in ANY deity is the subsequent LOSS of THINKING ability, LOSS of will, LOSS of common sense - and the terrible destruction that results!!!

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

I posted this story a year ago. http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/164437/1/Cult-Child-died-of-Starvation-refused-to-say-Amen

It seems to defy a mother's natural instinct. There must be something inherently wrong in the human mind that allows one to not think for themselves and to allow themselves to be so dominated by others. This is something that seems to be inherent in all who participate in religions---not just JWs. There is a scripture that says the people asked for someone to rule over them. Some people must crave being told what to do.

Individuals have not known the steps to bring about resolution of disputes on their own, nor have they taken responsibility to do so. Jesus tried to show them how. Even so, it didn't always work.

Jesus advised when you have a dispute, take it up with your brother in private. Well, sometimes confrontation is not the best way. So his advice does not work in every instance.

But back to the subject, we need to understand why humans have this weakness to allow themselves to be dominated. Some do it against their better judgement---perhaps out of fear or peer pressure. But the mother in this story is beserk because she still defends the woman who weilded power over her to deny her child food. She still thinks the kid will resurrect. She still thinks the psycho religious nut is right.

Why do people succumb to the powers of others without making that person prove their track record and ability? This seems senseless. It is the mark of a vacant brain. Is it some genetic defect? It's one thing to be fooled; it's another not to have instincts that overrule when you realize you are being misled.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Just consider what led up to this. This is something I think that those who were born into the JW cult can probably relate to.

Remember, really until you hit your pre-teens, teens, you can be unhappy, and not understand why on much of anything that your parents do or want you to do, but you damn well are going to do it. So if your parent(s) say "Put the tract in the door, praise be to Jah", it will absolutely affect you. Then you hear about how important tracts are (I remember a CO once stressing that this is the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society), and before you know it, you are trained to think that tracts please our god, the true god, Jehovah.

As you get older, you either rebel, or you accept, or you rebel then accept. But ultimately, you accept it. You are trained to see things not as they are, but how the GB wants you to see them. Tracts are important. Watchtowers are somehow almost superstitiously important. (ever try to throw one away as a JW? Hard to do wasn't it?)

I bring this up because this whole tragedy is based on what a woman was tragically raised to believe from youth. Were she born in the USA, she would be raised as a Christian very likely. Saudi Arabia? Muslim. Japan? Shinto....

But this was how she was raised to believe, think, and act. Does this excuse her? Perhaps not. But what would you do if you were raised from birth with these beliefs, and that this is how you handle a baby who doesn't say amen?

There are 7 billion people on this planet. Everyone alive, conscious, wants to live and be happy, just like you and I do. They have inherited beliefs, and due to a lack of exposure to the real world, real life, it results in this tragedy.

I hope no one who reads about this is naive enough to think that this doesn't happen around the world all the time. Life is cheap at times.

I use the word "pragmatic" a lot in how I view the world since I left JW's To me, it simply means to not necessarily accept the world as it is, but to accept that the world is not how you wish it could be.

For that matter, the mother of the dead baby I am sure will wish the world is different, but at some point, she will learn the hard way that the world is at it is, not how we wish it could be.

This is an illustration of the dangers of superstitious religion. Defenders of theism will say "I wouldn't do that, my religion would never do such barbaric things..."

If you were raised as this mother, totally indoctrinated and insulated from the real world, can you be so sure?

To me, this is sobering. I personally use it to think about using our unique place in the world. You can't help the ignorant who have been taught to view the world as it is not. But if we know the world as it is, we can influence our world around us, while learning the sobering lessons that this sad story teaches.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit