2010 DC" Remain in Gods Love"...Most Unloving Yet??

by JWFreak 42 Replies latest jw friends

• Gayle
    Gayle

Billy, are you referring in the Dec. KM "Field Service Highlights" about the 48,000+ increase in pubs. in Aug over the previous month?

• Gayle
  • metatron
    metatron

Guys, unless they want to get in deep doo-doo, they can't do much of anything. Yes, they can rant and rave, but beyond that these frauds are stuck with the exact same problems about compromise that the Catholic Church has faced for centuries!

As with Hitler, they were all , " I wish he would stop killing Jews and Poles, but we better not say too much or we'll be facing a Panzer division in Vatican City."

And the Watchtower?

They can't rant about homosexuals particularily because gay groups have been known to monitor assemblies to record examples of 'hate speech' by Witnesses.

They have to be careful about condemning college, association, holidays and much more because this stuff is popping up on the fringes of the legal system - as in child custody disputes - or trying to stop persecution in some nations - or fending off accusations of extremism in Russia and Europe - or dealing with human rights bureaucrats.

Oh, and Satan? Being in control of governments? There is a rumor that this little gem exploded in their faces some years ago when a judge was shown such statements in the midst of a sensitive case ( as in "So, I'm led by the Devil, you say ??!!")

Nope, they have to use code words. They have to use the old "nudge, nudge, wink, wink".

And they also monitor the talks given by C.O.'s and D.O.'s at these assemblies. A brother is discreetly assigned to follow the manuscript word by word as the talk is delivered. I know this because I've witnessed it, firsthand. They get scared that somebody will go off topic and get them in trouble.

I would deeply enjoy seeing these con artists get crazy and go all 'John the Baptist' on the audience. And how did that Biblical saga end?

metatron

• cantleave
    cantleave

I wouldn't expect any major changes, maybe some strong words regarding the dangers of the internet and be careful the spirit of this world doesn't affect you. There will be demonstrations and experiences of unrealistically perfect people to make everyone else feel guilty about how little they do in study and service.

A VERY big emphasis is due concerning family worship evening. I think Billy is on the money, the "Reasoning" book is long overdue for replacing.

We will be enjoying ourselves at Alton Towers (a theme park in Staffordshire) so will miss all the excitement of the District Convention this year that's a shame isn't it . I look forward to seeing the notes and comments on this site.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

I've been convinced for a while that the GB needs a new tentacle of control. On this post I posit that this will come through inculcating a fear of leaving the Organisation;

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/172677/1/The-WTS-need-a-new-tentacle-of-control

In this thread I argue that 2014 is the catalyst for the tightening of the cult handcuffs;

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/180595/1/Tightening-of-the-Cult-Handcuffs

I'm certain that the WTS needs to start moving away from anything approaching a "loving, Christ-like" way of ordering their adherants if they want to keep financially afloat....

• Jazzbo
    Jazzbo

The reality is that fewer and fewer people pay much attention to the things that they are not presupposed to do anyway. It must be extremely frustrating to the organization to realize that the majorit of Witnesses simply ignore it when they try to crack down on this stuff, maybe a little lip service but that's about it. They've railed against the Net for years, that's worked out real well for them hasn't it.

• zoiks
    zoiks

Wow, I find myself keenly anticipating this DC... but this is the first year I'll be missing it. I'll await any information with bated breath. I would love to see a noticeable tightening of the handcuffs, as passwordprotected puts it, in the hopes that any low-hanging fruit (shout out to ATJ) will drop from the tree. Hopefully it will help some of my friends and family see the light. Doubtful, but one can hope!

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

Thanks for the tip, JWF. I could see the WT Society doing one or more of the following:

• Cracking down on "association." For example, emphasizing the need to curtail association with non-JW relatives, neighbors, school/work colleagues, and reinforcing the shunning of DF'd family members.
    • Perhaps more forceful counsel regarding higher education. Despite the crackdown on college over the past few years, I've noticed plenty of JWs in "good standing" allowing their children to attend college. Perhaps the WTS feels that some strong reminders are in order.
    • I would not be surprised if the Convention includes a crackdown on the Internet--especially Facebook and other social networking sites. Lots of JWs use these sites to connect with friends--including "worldly" people, DF'd people, and those of the opposite sex to whom they're not married. Some on here have noted that circuit overseers have mentioned Facebook in their "needs of the circuit" talks. That could foreshadow what we'll see at this summer's conventions.
    • No doubt there will be some counsel regarding "immorality." As always, there's lots of teenage sex, drunkenness, adultery, and divorces in the Kingdom Halls. Every now and then, the WTS needs to put the fear of God into the flock. District Conventions are a good time for that.
    • Dress and grooming. When I was growing up in the organization, Witnesses dressed like NERDS. Now, I can't pick most Witnesses out of a crowd. You'd be surprised (or maybe you wouldn't) at the number of 20-something JWs with tattoos. And I'm talking about JWs in "good standing," too.
    • Entertainment. Lots of JWs have let their standards slip in this respect. Sure, there are some who still toe the line, but I know lots of JWs (including those with "privileges") who don't think twice about watching R-rated movies, attending rock concerts, and going to dance clubs. Every few years, the Society cracks down entertainment. I think they're due for another.

All in all, I expect more of the same. None of my ideas listed above are new. The Society isn't going to "ban the Internet" or release some kind of "Theocratic firewall" software. Rather, they'll pick out some topics, such as the ones mentioned above, and deliver some "pointed counsel" on those points. The faithful JWs who aren't asleep will view this as "food at the proper time" and will savor the opportunity to feel superior to their fellow brothers and sisters who have the temerity to maintain a Facebook page. Ah, the joys of the spiritual paradise!

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Yawn, gimme a break. None of that is new Olin. They always harp on about immorality, association, entertainment, dress and grooming yada. Except the Facebook thing, which will put them in the same light as the current Iranian regime which has cracked down on gmail lol.

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

Yadda, that's my point. It's not going to be anything new and groundbreaking. It will be the same old stuff I heard when I was growing up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit