TSUNAMI ALERT

by cameo-d 61 Replies latest jw friends

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Looks like the tsunami may have arrived in Chatham Island:

http://www.geonet.org.nz/tsunami/

• leec
    leec

I just heard they're expecting a 3 foot surge at La Jolla around noon (an hour from now) and then similar up the coast as the day goes on. Since most of this area faces the water with several hundred foot tall cliffs, I can't imagine anything too interesting happening around here. I hope the rest of the Pacific makes it through ok. At least we have the warnings this time.

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

The feed coming in from Chile is devastating. I hope HOPE that all of those in the tsunami's path heed the warning and consider themselves lucky to have a warning, unlike the Chileans. This is hard to watch...

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Central coast of California here. We are less than a mile from the ocean with a view of several miles of coastland. Seems calm at the moment, but it is nice to be able to watch the Pacific from my computer and from (relatively) high ground.

• Leolaia
  • Leolaia
    Leolaia

The tide gauge at Chatham Island shows the arrival of the tsunami there, and the Raoul Island gauges show minor disturbance. Nothing in New Zealand proper yet.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

A bit further north, there's a tsunami advisory for coastal areas of Washington state. The linked advisory for an area particularly vulnerable, because the Long Beach peninsula is long, narrow, low, and has only one two-lane road leading to the mainbland. The blue-and-white warning (in the linked article) is from signs posted along that road.

GLT

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Whoa look at the graph now. I'm checking the NZ surf cams.

• Leolaia
  • freydo
    freydo

The 8.8 Magnitude Earthquake is estimated to be 800 times more powerful than the one which struck Haiti on January 12, 2010. The 2010 Chile Earthquake is the fifth most powerful earthquake in magnitude since 1900. The largest earthquake occurred in 1960 in Chile. The next largest was 9.2 in 1964 Prince William Sound Alaska. The earthquake which struck Chile today is the largest earthquake to hit Chile in 50 years.Rank Location Year Magnitude
    1 Chile 1960 9.5
    2 Prince William Sound Alaska 1964 9.2
    3 Northern Sumatra - Indonesia 2004 9.1
    4 Kamchatka 1952 9.0
    5 Chile 2010 8.8

http://www.hollywoodbackstage.com/world/tsunami-hawaii-354.php4

ANYBODY HEARD FROM PAT ROBERTSON?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit