Atheists show more brain activity

by BurnTheShips 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

There're many cultural influences on brain function. Some say that non-theistic religions like buddhism might have an even better influence on the brain. The fact that so many atheists in the US suffer from depression and anxiety might be related to the fact that being non-religious is not accepted in American culture.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Woooot! Trifecta!

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

"How would you explain the high levels of depression, anxiety, schizophrenia, and other mental illnesses among Jehovah's Witnesses?"

I think it would depend on the personality of the God you believe in. Being a JW made me a wreck. Now that I'm a Pastafarian, I know that my God, Flying Spaghetti Monster, will make certain that I'm always well fed... and he's very forgiving... he never punishes me when I make mistakes... but I get extra Italian Sausage when I do nice things.

Other than my complete faith in FSM, I'm an athiest, I suppose.

edited to add: FSM wants me to get a college education and a good-paying job!

• beksbks
    beksbks

FSM is a good god!

• rebel8
    rebel8

I assume this is what the article is talking about. (I prefer to go to the original source vs. believing a media report's interpretation on face value.)

How is it that religion can bring about both
    peace of mind and zealous conviction?We suggest that religious
    conviction buffers against anxiety by providing relief from the
    experience of uncertainty and error, and in so doing, strengthening
    convictions and narrowing attention away from inconsistencies.
    We hypothesize that this muted response to uncertainty
    and error is evident neurophysiologically such that religious
    conviction is associated with reduced activity in the anterior
    cingulate cortex (ACC), a cortical system involved in a form of
    attention that serves to regulate both cognitive and emotional
    processing

This confirms what we already knew. Religions that offer 100% certainty about things that in reality are quite uncertain...tend to attract people who are more interested in certainty than they are in truth or curiosity.

That would mean it wouldn't decrease illnesses such as schizophrenia, which is not caused by stress. In fact, a person who finds reality terribly confusing, overwhelming, or anxiety-provoking would seem to be attracted to a belief system that offers relief from just that.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

What this means is that believers are less likely to correct their own errors.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Maybe people who are very religious use their religion the way a drunkard uses alcohol. As long as they think God loves them, they at least have that to turn to for comfort. It is usually a shallow comfort--they have to get their "fix" every Sunday at church. Many of the more deeply religious addicts need a "fix" of religion more often. This helps reduce the symptoms of anxiety and depression, but never gets at the root cause (which is as likely to be stagnation or lack of fulfillment in personal needs as anything else).

As a palliative, I would rank religion right up there with magnesium. The magnesium will help a person to relax. The difference: Magnesium is not something you are going to feel guilty about not taking, and then relieve that guilt by taking more. Religion is.

• nykid
    nykid

It's easier to submit and believe than to think critically about religions and become an atheist in my opinion. There's nothing at all suprising about this to me.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I'm an atheist, but I can't read.

• jam
    jam

I was told by another elder, friends will come too you with all thier problems

and dump them on you. They will go home and get A good nite

sleep , while you up alll nite worrying about thier problems. This is the

same thing that happen too religious people, they dump thier

problems on the Lord and forget about it, and that,s OK....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit