leaving the wt - why?

by rockmehardplace 24 Replies latest jw friends

• rockmehardplace
    rockmehardplace

so for some people, there is the one breaking point that makes people leave. for me, not so much about doctrine, but about how people treated one another. i always heard that we show we are the true religion because we have love among ourselves. but that is not the case in my experience. granted, i learned alot about other things, but the lack of love was what really did it for me as i reflect back on my fade.

what was the "straw" for you?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

So many straws. Three broke my back. Number 3 did me in, made me decide what I should do.

1. I realized that headquarters gave the order to destroy a young sister involved in a judicial process in order to make an example to the other young sisters. Screw the individual.

2. I was bumped off the bus to go help Hurricane Katrina victims, despite my experience with 2 hurricanes. There wasn't room on the bus and I wasn't allowed to follow it with my SUV. (We just don't do things that way.) Later, I found out that I was bumped for wives and children even though I was initially told it was for electricians, plumbers, carpenters.

3. A GB member was speaking at the DC. I never heard of him. I couldn't believe I was on the platform every week proclaiming the teachings of men I didn't even know the first thing about, including their names even.

• Heaven
    Heaven

"Headship" and "subjugation of women" along with the rest of their false doctrines. Who I am as a person and my life plans did not align with any of the WTS stuff.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Watchtower is not a quiet religion. Watchtower knocks on every possible door, telling people that they alone have the truth. Once I realized that they didn't have the truth, I wanted OUT.

A desire to do what is RIGHT is what led me into Watchtower. This same desire led me straight out.

• blondie
    blondie

The lack of love was the last straw for me; I ran out of excuses for them....and realized it was emotionally and spiritually abusive to stay around.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

"Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the show?"

The WT experience is like being told you've won a $10 million lottery, only to discover that the real prize is an alarm clock radio.

• babygirl30
    babygirl30

I left because I was DF'd...but decided not to go BACK for 2 reasons:

1. Personal - the way I was treated in my JC mtg by supposed 'loving' elders was repulsive...the punishment in no WAY fit my accused 'crime'...and too many people damn near drop their drawrs for a C.O. that is soooo arrogant that he would make Satan weep!

2. Doctrinal - the whole DFing policy is beyond ridiculous and unChristian...the 'change' in many JW policies over the years...and the constant CONTROl - all of which I didn't think was bad until I was out of the fold and able to reason things on my own.

• out4good3
    out4good3

There was enough straws to constitute a broom stick but the two that solidified my never returning to JWism was twofold.

I'd decided to go back to school as I saw no future in the work I was doing and looking down the corrider of time, I knew I needed to make better money. Two elders came to my house, at the invitation of my wife I suspect though she denies, and basically told me that I was wasting my time and that it would be better spent making meetings and going in field service....in theocratic pursuits. Realizing that theocratic pursuits don't pay bills, I went to school anyway.

The camel's back breaker though was, I don't remember how much later, a conversation I was having with my wife where she was railing on me for not going to meetings and insisting that I knew it was the truth....what else is out there. She was going on and on and wouldn't stop and caused me such stress that day that I actually went into the bathroom and started throwing up. Now, you would think me coming out the bathroom with vomit down the front of my shirt would stop her......

Nope, she kept right on going where she left off. At that point, I lost totally it. She finally got the message and dropped it.

• yknot
    yknot

....I accidently clicked on JWD....

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

When I discovered it wasn't true.

The Oracle

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit