Another bit of unexplainable hypocrisy

by Mad Sweeney 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Ask a Dub acquaintance this and see if they have anything resembling a rational answer:

You: When you're at a public event and the announcer says, "Please rise for the playing/singing of the national anthem," you refuse to stand because that would be considered an act of nationalistic worship, correct?

Dub: Correct.

You: Why then, when a JW is in a courtroom and the baliff says, "All rise for the honorable judge Whatsherface, court is now in session," do JWs stand up? How is standing up NOT an act of worship towards the judge when simply standing up for a song IS?

Dub: Er, um, I'll have to check with my elders....

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

There was an article in one of the magazines once quite a few years ago, where some Indian children were praised for the respectful way they stood before the flag or national anthem, can't quite re-call which it was.

I think its time this situation regarding standing or not should be clarified by the org'

• blondie
    blondie

The bible evens says that Christians must show honor to the secular authorities...the WTS interprets it as worship in one situation and hypocritically as "honor" in the other.

(Romans

13:5-7)5 There is therefore compelling reason for YOU people to be in subjection, not only on account of that wrath but also on account of [YOUR] conscience. 6 For that is why YOU are also paying taxes; for they are God’s public servants constantly serving this very purpose. 7 Render to all their dues, to him who [calls for] the tax, the tax; to him who [calls for] the tribute, the tribute; to him who [calls for] fear, such fear; to him who [calls for] honor, such honor.

• lifelong humanist
    lifelong humanist

Mad Sweeney

Most JWs remain seated for the NA, as to stand, to their minds, constitutes taking part in an act of worship.

To stand in a court of law for the judge, is seen as just showing respect for their position. Were the JW being presented to the queen in some formal setting, the JW would stand out of respect for her status as queen.

It is really very silly, but that's my understanding.

What I used to find incredibly stupid, was that if you were already standing up and the NA was playing, it wasn't necessary to promptly sit down. I think the reason given was that sitting down would draw attention to oneself. Yet, surely not standing would have the same effect?

Totally crazy!

lifelong humanist

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

But lets face the real reasons for these responses.
    A JW sits for the National Anthem- He feels out of place. The thing he thinks makes him feel uncomfortable is the perceived flag worship or the event itself. He feels like he should avoid such events and just go to the Kingdom Hall or he hates the perceived flag worship.

A JW goes into a courtroom and loses his case or is fined for contempt of court for not standing. He might hate the perceived act of worship if it weren't for the concern about losing his case. WTS wants JW's to think Jehovah is on their side, but there is nothing they can do to help that thought if the JW started out getting the judge pissed off.

• yknot
    yknot

LOL...

In my area most just stand similar to the pledge since every worldly I know and have ever seen places their hand over their heart while they sing along or observe....... come to think of it I never saw any JW sit through the anthem at sporting events in Houston either and I went with those who had season tickets (back when they were still affordable).

Tee-Hee- Hee......

I guess most parents didn't really read the school brochure versus just scanning through before distributing to teachers.

• nugget
    nugget

otwo I think you have the nubb of it. Really the purpose of these silly rules is to isolate the JW from others. I used to be desperately worried whenever I went to some event that the anthem would be played just in case I would do the wrong thing.

The rule put simply is if seated stay seated, if stood up stay standing. Mad and stupid.

• dutchstef
    dutchstef

Í thought that difference lays in the fact, that the bible says you're not allowed to kneel down or worship statues and a flag is considered some kind of statue.

And then there is a difference between bending for a person out of respect or bending to worship.

I think that if an king would be considered as a god( like in some agent nations for example the egyptants), bending would be forbitten too.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

OTWO has it, I think. It's another setup for an Us versus Them confrontation. Nothing but good can come out of it for the borg. Either the dub gets persecuted for not standing or they sit there feeling proud to be isolated from "the world."

dutchstef, I'm not talking about a flag, which is considered an idol by the borg, but rather a song. "Please stand to show respect to the country (superior authority) represented by this song." IDOLATRY! "Please stand for this human judge." HONOR THE SUPERIOR AUTHORITIES!

It's hypocrisy over minutae; the JWs are adept at this.

• alanv
    alanv

When my son got married recently at the Kingdom Hall, it became obvoius at the practice, that the congregation were not going to stand up when the bride entered. When I asked about it the Presiding Elder said 'well it's like worship isn't it. I was amazed that a simple act of respect could somehow be an act of worship. I kid you not.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit