Were you told by JC that God will no longer listen to your prayers?

by Hortenzie 22 Replies latest social family

• donuthole
    donuthole

Having researched this in the 2008 CD-ROM I can find no outright statement that disfellowshipped ones do not have the privilege of prayer. I do not see such in the elders book either. Yet this is a common statement made during Judicial proceedings. Here is what the WT teaches

1. Jehovah hears the prayers of his "faithful servants", his "friends", and the "righteous", in other words Jehovah's Witnesses.
    2. Only baptized servants have an "unrestricted" privilege of prayer (He hears the prayers of those progressing toward baptism to a point but they can lose this if they hold off baptism.)
    3. JW are specifically instructed to avoid the prayers of non-JW's, to say silent prayers when in the presence of a non-JW who is praying.
    4. When the Watchtower gives experiences of prayers that are answered it is mainly in the context of JW's prayers, the exception is when non-JW's with "honest hearts" pray to find the true religion and subsequently come into the Organization.
    5. While not specifically speaking of disfellowshipped ones, the Watchtower encourages repentant sinners to pray, again leading back into the Organization.
    6. JW's are given permission to pray for DF'd ones only to the extent they are giving evidence of repentance.

Putting all of this together you come to a scenario where Jehovah doesn't hear the prayers of disfellowshipped ones because -

• They are no longer Jehovah's Witnesses (Being outside the organization they lose their righteous standing)
    • At the time of their DF-ing they are considered unrepentant sinners and wicked

Though I find no direct statement yet the thought is present in the literature.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

Yes, I was told that. At that moment I knew the elder was full of shit and not holy spirit.

lisa

• Luo bou to
    Luo bou to

Not only that but some weeks later when counselling my 10 year old son on his student talk in the second school This ignorant a-hole told my son in front of me and everyone else that he would help him in the future with his talks 'cause he no longer had a father

• Hortenzie
    Hortenzie

Interesting comments - thanks!

Lisa - I wish I had your "presence of mind"!!!

Luo - Wow, such a ruthless and disrespectful statement. Nobody has the right to talk to children about their parents like that!!!

• av8orntexas
    av8orntexas

And they know this because Jehovah sent that messege to their blackberry I'm sure

• Girlie
    Girlie

I was told that God doesn't listen to the prayers of d'fed ones, which I thought was foolish. Even more foolish was that active and upright ones couldn't pray for the d'fed

• Pistoff
    Pistoff
    Not only that but some weeks later when counselling my 10 year old son on his student talk in the second school This ignorant a-hole told my son in front of me and everyone else that he would help him in the future with his talks 'cause he no longer had a father

Wow, that would have been the event that caused me to punch out an elder, no kidding.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I expect like everything else the answer will depend on which edition of the WT you are reading. The ever brightening" light" will enable gymnastic like spiritual flip flops on this particular policy.

• babygirl30
    babygirl30

I was told the following by the elders in my JC:

1. Being DF'd meant I didn't have Jehovah's holy spirit 'upon' me any longer

2. I am considered 'dead' to everyone IN the org

3. Jehovah no longer listens to my prayers

YET on the flip side...these same elders during the same JC meeting with me, AFTER telling me I was getting DF'd, told me to:

1. Form a close relationship with Jehovah through prayer (direct conflict with #3)

2. Study the Bible and do as much research in JW publications as I can to 'humble' myself and show Jehovah that I was repentant for my sins (direct conflict with #1)

I really believe that the DF policy is so back-asswards that even 5yr olds could reason that much on their own!! If I'm so bad, and I'm dead to everyone including my God - WHY do I need to pray at all? And ask for WHAT???

• agonus
    agonus

I remember reading not too long ago in one of the WTs that JWs were instructed not to pray for the disfellowshipped. I remember thinking that was just about the most inhuman, antichrist, unscriptural bullshit I'd ever heard.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit