Let's Watch How We Walk (A jw email I just got today)

by Tired of the Hypocrisy 30 Replies latest jw friends

• VM44
    VM44

HA! HA!

JWs can't even make up their own experiences, they have to rip them off from others!

• Simon Morley
    Simon Morley

Wow! the impact of inflation, I heard this some years back when the quarter was a dime....

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Here is a copy of that one, Simon.

"What's A Dime Worth?" 09-25-00

Aiken Drum
    Mon, 25 Sep 2000 06:44:17 -0700

--- Sponsor's Message --------------------------------------
    Go to register.com now and register your dream domain name.
    Perhaps you have some great ideas, don?t wait until it?s too
    late. Go to register.com today and register a domain name
    for it before someone else does.
    http://click.topica.com/aaaaEgb1dhY4b1xjvRa/Register
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Welcome to Inspire !

Start today with a smile
    Please feel free to share this with others
    & encourage them to sign up for their own smiles !

"What's A Dime Worth?"

Several years ago a pastor friend of mine moved
    to Houston, Texas. Some weeks after he arrived,
    he had occasion to ride the bus from his home
    to the down- town area. When he sat down, he
    discovered that the driver had accidentally given
    him ten cents too much change.
    As he considered what to do, there seemed to
    him to have these voices whispering instructions
    into his ears. One said, "You better give the dime
    back. It would be wrong to keep it." Another voice
    said, "Oh forget it. It's just ten cents. Who would
    worry about this little amount. Anyway, the bus
    company already gets too much fare. With their
    millions everyday they will never miss it. Accept
    it as a gift from God and keep quiet."
    When his stop came he paused momentarily at
    the front door, and, handing the driver the dime
    he said, "Here. You handed me too much change."
    The driver replied, "Aren't you the new pastor in
    town? I have been thinking lately about going to
    church somewhere. I just wanted to see what
    you would do if I gave you ten cents too much
    change."
    When my friend stepped off the bus he literally
    grabbed the nearest light pole, and held on, and
    said, "O God, I almost sold your Son for ten cents."

http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg00038.html
  • Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

At http://www.theresurgence.com/alan_johnson_2004-07_paul_the_spirit_and_the_sanctification_gap Alan Johnson tells the story as; "Several years ago a pastor friend of mine moved to Houston, Texas."

Send your Dubby spammer that link in reply to his email. If the header contains all of the other recipients, send it to them too.

Cheers

Chris

• agonus
    agonus

"Our lives are the only Bible some people will Ever read;" Funny, I just read that on a mainliner site a couple of days ago. I love how the WT borrows just enough from "Babylon the Great" to attempt to build a solid foundation - then when the WT-critical stuff comes into play, they just plain make shit up and then claim it's ALL "The Truth" and every other religion (including those they stole from) is serving Satan. Perfect example: the Daniel book. First half or so of it would be considered reasonably sound by many Protestants (you know, the stuff about the world powers matching the parts of the statue - which is clearly stolen theology). Then you reach the late 19th/early 20th century, and then suddenly Daniel, a book that they just got finished saying was written to prophecy the march of world powers and a world-wide end-time scenario, suddenly becomes a book that was apparently written solely to prophecy the Watchtower organization - and solely FOR the Watchtower organization. Make up your mind, guys. Were the Scriptures written for everybody or just "the anointed?"

• RebeccaChi
    RebeccaChi

Ok. Let's fast forward this wonderful experience just a bit. The bus driver starts attending meetings with his family and is treated like a rock star. He and his wife get baptized and their experience is shared at the end of every convention with lots of tears and bursts of applause. The wife decides to become a regular pioneer and kids become home schooled. Wife and MS pioneer make return visits to a local motel and get reproved. Bus driver husband starts to doubt the religion and all the hypocrisy, speaks to close friends about his concerns. Friends turn him into the elders and he gets bullied. Still attends the Kingdumb Hell to try and keep his family together, and gets the cold shoulder from all of the A-Listers. One daughter marries an 18 year old pioneer who cleans doctors offices part-time. The other young daughter marries a 60 year old elder who's wife died 6 months earlier. The bus driver decides to ram his big city bus into the Kingdumb Hell . . . . .

• MrMonroe
    MrMonroe

I've heard two urban myths delivered from the platform as "experiences" ... an elder who introduced a meeting with a fabulous experience he'd just heard about a man who saw a car broken down by the side of the road ... lent the driver a tyre ... had a call from his bank manager .... home loan has been paid off by a benefactor ... "you have friends in high places" .... it was Bill Gates he'd helped. I checked Snopes when I got home and that story had been going round since the 1930s and Howard Hughes was the earlier benefactor.

At a circuit assembly in Queensland I heard a tale of a Gold Coast pioneer couple who saw a Mercedes being advertised in the paper for $10 ... it was the wife of a philanderer whose husband told her she could sell the car and give him half the proceeds ... the pioneers picked up the car for $10 and were obviously blessed by Jehovah. I moved to New Zealand where I was amazed to hear an identical experience had happened in Auckland, with the exception that this time it was $20 and the car was a BMW. The audience lapped it all up and clapped like performing seals.

I always wondered how many of those experiences were either invented or recycled urban myths. Thank God (again) for the internet.

• agonus
    agonus

The "Welcome to the World of AIDS" urban legend was presented from the platform at one of our conventions a few years ago.

• av8orntexas
    av8orntexas

Tired of the Hypocrisy

I can tell you for a FACT that it was given at a local assmebly hall down here in the Houston area last year actually. At the two day assembly in February 2009, the last meeting/convention/etc of any sort that I attended.

If I recall correctly it was sister....not that it matters,but I'm shocked to see how it's turned into an email.

• moshe
    moshe

Yes, it is easy to make up a good story on the Internet, with sappy plot and catchy punchlines and have the public accept is as fact as, well, the gospel truth. People have been preconditioned to accept the anecdotal gospels as fact, without a shred of external proof, so it is no surprise this writing method works time and time again. It's too bad snopes.com can't ferret out what really happened at the Red Sea, or in Jerusalem 2000 years ago or what Muhammed was really up to or what Joseph Smith was smoking, etc.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit