real curry recipe?

by carla 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• carla
    carla

Many of you here from other countries talk about going out for curry, can I replicate this at home? anyone have a good recipe? I have never had it

so would appreciate an authentic recipe for it. Thanks!

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

Mine is really easy, basically find the yellow curry powder at your local market in the Foreign Foods section. From there you brown a pound of chicken in a frying pan, then you add in 1 can of coconut milk. From there you add 1 tablespoon of curry powder or 2 tablespoons if you really want it spicy.

Serve over jasmine rice, that's pretty much it.

• cofty
  • leec
    leec

For what it's worth, if you have decent cooking skills you can do a reasonable job with any meaty saucy dish on basmati rice, flavored with McCormick's Red Curry seasoning. Their Garam Masala isn't bad either. I'm not saying it's authentic, but it's "decent" and extremely simple.

• Gregor
    Gregor

My initial taste of curry many years ago did not leave a good taste in my mouth. I've avoided it ever since. But, recently I have decided to give it another try, partly because it has been getting a lot of press regarding it's health benefits and most people who eat it swear it is deelishus.

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

Gah, never let a white person do what us Indian people have been doing for centuries. (I'm 1/4th Asian Indian)

Here's Lee's Sweet and hot channa aloo karri and rooti karri

2 tablespoons of curry powder.

2 diced potatoes

2 cans of chick peas

1 half of a diced onion

1 tablespoon of garlic powder.

1 tablespoon of cayanee pepper

2 tablespoons of sugar

Throw in pot and boil until the potatoes are cooked.

To make the Rooti:

1 cup of flour in a mixing bowl

1 cup of water in a mixing bowl

1 tablespoon of salt

A tablespoon of curry

A teaspoon of oil on a griddle.

Mix.

Roll balls of dough into golf ball sized diameters, flatten and fry on griddle until both sides are done.

Serve the karri aloo channa (Curried potatoes and chick peas) on the rooti (Flatbread)

Skimp on the pepper if you're from the Upper Midwest or the highlands of Scotland.

:)

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

Oh, and don't forget to throw in 2 cups of water in the curry before anything else or else you'll end up with a burnt pile of powder on the bottom of your pan.

• Peppermint
    Peppermint

Try this link for some good authentic stuff:

http://www.mamtaskitchen.com/

• Peppermint
    Peppermint

The key to a good curry is to make sure you cook the spices properly. I fry my onion and then add the Tumeric, chilli powder, Garam masala etc and fry for about another 5-8 minutes - almost dry - until the spice almost burns on the pan. To throw the spice straight into the liquid will not make for a good flavour.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Nugget makes some really nice curry 's. When she gets back I'll get her her to PM you a recipe or two.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit