1 large onion chopped

1 tbsp garlic approx 3 cloves

Fresh corriander finder chopped

Basic spices are usually

Ground Cumin 1 tsp

Ground Corriander 1 tsp

Tumeric 1 tsp

Garram Masala 1 tsp

Chillie powder 1 tsp but use more if you want it hotter.

If you have these ingrediants you can make most curries.

Basic recipes for a couple of favourites:

For Chicken Tikka you mix the raw spices and raw ingrediants into 3 tblsp of natural yoghurt add zest and rind from a lemon and leave chunks of chicken breast to marrinade for 3 hours prior to grilling.

For tandoori chicken use chicken drumsticks or thighs and replace lemon with dilluted tamarind paste and red food colouring if you want scarlet look, again leave to marinade for at least 3 hours and bake in oven turning occasionally to brown on all sides.

Indian raita is basically diluted natural yoghurt with mint sauce added.

I have quite a range of curry recipes as my mum was originally brought up in Parkistan and MOL is Indian. So happy to share. Tell me what you are after as regional recipes vary considerably.

Hope this helps

Nugget

• wobble
    wobble

I can personally testify that Nugget makes a WONDERFUL curry !

And that testimony comes from a curry nut, who ate his first Chicken Vindaloo in a Kentish (location) Bangladeshi (ethnicity) restaurant in 1963 !

And yes, my bum has stopped burning now. I have eaten curry in restaurants all over the U.K , only one or two were truly "Indian" the rest were Bangladeshi. Many have improved over the years, with innovative chefs introducing new recipes. Many produce wonderful food.

Nuggets is still equal to the best.

No disrespect to above posters, but any recipe that includes Curry powder is a joke from the start, spices should be freshly ground,garlic herbs and chillies should be fresh, fresh E-coli is optional.

I often toast my spices first,at least the cummin ,fenugreek,mustard and coriander seeds etc, put them in a dry frying pan over a high heat until they begin to smoke, do not burn them, then grind them. Onions I often caramalise first, and add them back in toward the end.

Marinading the meat is always a good idea,24 hours in some cases, the marinade can include some of the spices to be used, and of course fresh garlic.

Good luck, happy cooking and eating, and if you do overdo the chillie, the toilet wipes with Aloe vera are very soothing !

Love

Wobble

• nugget
    nugget

Thank You Woble - glad you enjoyed it. But let's not forget its always the company you are with that makes the curry.

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

I've never thought I would ever say this, but a white person makes a better curry than I could ever make. Nice touch on the ginger.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

A couple of years ago on this forum I learned of a brand of curry paste that I like very much. It is made by PATAK'S and comes in both a mild and hot version. I suggest starting with the mild, which gives you lots of good curry flavor without a lot of heat. If you like it hot, you can add some of the hot paste and bring it up to your liking. In the USA, there are several very good curry powders made by PENZEY'S SPICES.

I like curry, but I'm not a fan of killer heat.

It is possible to make your own curry spice blend, but to do that you'll need to have some of each spice, which means you'll end up with enough spice to make much more curry powder than you're likely to use in a year. It is better to buy fresh powder or paste in a small quantity so it gets used up while it is fresh.

Also - don't forget to saute your curry powder or curry paste for a few minutes with some butter or oil to release the flavors and aromas. Just heat them until they become fragrant then add the other ingredients. Just don't burn the curry, as mentioned above.

• zagor
    zagor

Funny you should talk about curry, I'm having a party at my place this next weekend and a couple of Indian lady friends are coming to help me prepare it and also show me how to use curry properly. Something tells me I should stick to doing pancakes but hey I'll give it a shot. Mind you some of recipes here sound interesting i.e. doable by meself. Last time I was at my best mate's place his wife made a really nice curry chicken with a bit of butter and hot chilly, it was hot as hell but otherwise heavenly ;)

• awildflower
    awildflower

Are we talking about Indian curry or Asian curry? There's a big difference. The Asian curry is made with coconut milk and curry paste which is one of my favorites. The Indian curry is mostly listed above which is yummy to.

• carla
    carla

Sorry, just reviving old thread because I lost the recipes and need to print them when it is convenient. Feel free to add your opinions.......

• Old Navy
    Old Navy

I got hooked on Curry Rice while in Japan for several years. Today when I wish to prepare Curry I go to the local Japanese Market and buy an 8.4 oz. (240 g.) box of S&B Golden Curry which is offered in several degrees of "hotness" or spiciness. I prefer "Mild." According to the directions brown your meat of choice in a pan with oil or butter, add diced onions to saute then throw it into a pot with your diced potatoes, carrots, water and any other ingredients you desire and add the curry paste. Simmer and stir until its (the Curry paste) all melted and smooth and the veggies are fully cooked then enjoy.

I've tried Thai Curry at a local restaurant which is prepared with Coconut Milk and that is tasty too. Frankly, I prefer the Japanese style.

Curry is one of those magical foods that just hits the spot that others aren't able to.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit