Toyota accelerator goes wild, kills 4 JW's in field service

by Brocephus 44 Replies latest jw friends

• Brocephus
    Brocephus

I live in the area and know for a fact they are JW's. This article says it specifically...

http://www.star-telegram.com/northeast/story/1980320.html

"The four were all members of a Jehovah's Witnesses congregation and were calling on residents in the area."

• undercover
    undercover
    Mr Hawthorn claims he now is able to walk only small distances and "his capacity to enjoy life has permanently diminished".
    Sorry but that happened when he became a jw.

That gets my vote for 'post of the day'

• awildflower
    awildflower

Thanks Sir, I didn't read the comments.

And I agree, Toyota is suckin'.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

"Southlake police say they can't determine if Toyota accelerator issue led to fatal December pond crash"

I am not sure if they all died, if so, and there is no mechanical evidence, Who can say? Another report said that the driver had a history of seizures..

I think Toyota will contest this one...

• awildflower
    awildflower

That was pretty good right Undercover.

• snowbird
  • worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

From what I am beginning to read, the newest cars, and not just Toyota have gas peddals that control the computer and have NO throttle cables whatsoever. I suspect that because putting the car into neutral, and turning off the ignition seems to have no effect on stopping it, it looks to me IMHO that a computer glitch similar to a pc computer glitch caused this (freezing). I have been told that auto trans shifters in new cars are computer controlled as well. Just how hard is it to shift to neutral otherwise? Too much computer control in a car exposed to 600,000 volt power lines, cell phones, radio and tv stations, satellite reception. Plus static build up from friction in and around the car.

I had an old Dodge decades ago that had an engine rebuild and immediately after taking it home, the gas peddal locked at max (linkage incorrectly installed) and just turned off the key and reset it manually, then fixed the problem.

I have also heard of cruise controls on new Toyotas going out of control as well. Now add all the problems with engine oil sludge (google that) prematurely killing Toyotas engines, severe rust recalls and boy are they screwed.

Too bad the victims in the runaway cases are unable to speak for themselves. Hopefully justice will prevail.

My '05 has a mechanical throttle cable. Lucky me.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I think the Toyota problem has disproportionately affected JW's.

It's based on an article that stated the literal translation of the word "Toyota" means "Legion."

Rub a Dub

• Farkel
    Farkel

Where's them angels who always protect dubs while they are in field service?

I guess they work for GM.

Farkel

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    I suspect that because putting the car into neutral, and turning off the ignition seems to have no effect on stopping it,

looks like the start of a new urban myth. I don't know where you heard this, but it's not true. Putting the car in neutral allows the car to stop just fine, even if the engine is racing. Turning off the ignition definitely allows the car to stop accelerating, but takes away the power steering and power brakes, making it difficult physically to operate - but not impossible; the car simply takes muscle to operate.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit