A Problem With General Christian Beliefs

by AllTimeJeff 61 Replies latest watchtower bible

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    Where's Perry?

Shhhhhh......

• thomas15
    thomas15

AllTimeJeff, If I may say this, and you are free to disagree with me. Everyone, regardless of what they say or how they act, everyone has a religion, a faith in something.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    AllTimeJeff, If I may say this, and you are free to disagree with me. Everyone, regardless of what they say or how they act, everyone has a religion, a faith in something.

I hear this often. I don't get it.

Not collecting stamps is not hobby.

• glenster
    glenster

Some believers and non-believers miss the point completely and turn it into
    proof God is or isn't, like there's nothing else to the subject. They have more
    in common than they're different. They claim to have the handle on proof then
    watch for the sun to come up by staring into the west. Faith is more like
    whether you love a song or not, which is subjective, and some people want to
    turn it into a purely objective matter, what you can show is or isn't objective-
    ly, and make the music go away. It's a faith issue.

For instance, since Genesis has been brought up, I don't think advances in
    science would make faith go away since Genesis has been understood by many as
    allegorical, as basically believing in seeing God as providing or presiding over
    it all, since long before modern science.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegorical_interpretations_of_Genesis

So sometimes when I read posts by some non-believers, it's ironically similar
    to the JWs leaders, like they're the JWs leaders of of non-believers, like the
    whole issue is turned into not only just what you can prove is or isn't, but
    that this proof shows their stance is the right one. Like some believers, they
    try to wrangle more out of what you can make of rationalism than is fair to
    claim (like JWs leaders claim for their stance on the identity of Jesus). It's
    a faith. You can know it as such if you have it, and be as aware of the ad-
    vances of science, etc., and aware of what you don't know, whether you have it
    or not.

Another plus of this perspective is that you know that therefore no one should
    be hurt or killed over such a thing. The aggressors of belief or non-belief, or
    of matters of race, etc. (not a lot of nice believers or non-believers or people
    of a race), were too 'centric in the same ways: "we're the ones who know and are
    good, and the others aren't--something should be done to make them go away."
    The most harm hasn't been due to believing in God or not or being of a race,
    etc., but due to people being too 'centric about those or other things instead
    of relaxed about the differences.

If people get along better in the future, it won't be due to the ones who are
    too 'centric on any front, or everyone being of the same belief or non-belief
    stance or race, but by people being less 'centric (for belief/non-belief,
    separation of church and state) about the differences.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    For what reasons have rejected Santa Claus and Zeus?
    Being a non-believer requires LOTS of "I don't know". Lots. And lots. Instead of, "God did it".

So you would need visual proof? what else?

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

Everyone, regardless of what they say or how they act, everyone has a religion, a faith in something.

Please explain to me the words "religion" and "faith" then... I don't get it

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    So you would need visual proof? what else?

The event that happened to Saul on the road to Damascus would be sufficient.

• wobble
    wobble

If there is no God, why do we love ?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

If there is no God, why do we love ?

Wobble,

Please see above. "I don't know". I refuse to say, "God did it", just because I don't know.

-LWT

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

why do we love ?

What's the alternative?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit