A Problem With General Christian Beliefs

by AllTimeJeff 61 Replies latest watchtower bible

• JWoods
    JWoods
    I think that Jwism - and more particularly the hatred that is shown when someone dares to leave - was the propellant that let me look at philosophy, science, and open free-thought from clean perspective. It cannot be doubted that the influence of Jwism was powerfully part of the formula - both good and bad one supposes, if such can be truly categorized.

This is true - for either better or worse, I believe that radical JWism has caused many who left them to totally question the issues and move on to the agnostic or non-religious position rather than just move on to some other christian church.

EDIT - IF you can call the JW religion truly christian. I now doubt that it is, other than reluctantly by name only.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I admire your strength and give you credit for all that you have done.

I wish...well...when we have people still in the JW's it seems all we can do is wish for them to "awken" too.

• leavingwt
  • PSacramento
    PSacramento

Interesting thread leavingwt,

But I must say it did seem that the WT DID make him an atheist because the WT put into his mind certain beliefs that, when he decided they were not truth, turned ( for lack of a better word) him into an atheist.

If he had NEVER been taught that the Bible was the "all and end all" of things then, perhaps, when he found it to to NOT be without error then, perhaps, hsi belief in God would not have ceased.

Perhaps.

I think that many people that leave religion ( any religion) and became atheistist do so because there is simple NO PROOF or REASON to NOT be an atheist. I mean that, when you decide that you need PROOF to beleive in God and there is NO proof then it makes no sense to beleive in God, right?

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Right.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

Where's Perry?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Now, I am curious, what Proof is valid to you so that you would believe in God?

• JWoods
    JWoods
    I think that many people that leave religion ( any religion) and became atheistist do so because there is simple NO PROOF or REASON to NOT be an atheist. I mean that, when you decide that you need PROOF to beleive in God and there is NO proof then it makes no sense to beleive in God, right?

I think that for some ex-JW people that might be the case - but I would guess that for a majority of ex-JWs who go this route there is also a good deal of just simple disgust for the JW god concept. (which is basically a legalistic, old testament style, ANGRY UNMERCIFUL KILLER...)

This probably causes an ex-JW to look at other religions and their own peculiarities more critically.

• wobble
    wobble

AK Jeff said he hated the word Agnostic as a label , and I agree it has had a bad press of late, but really T.H Huxley who coined the word was trying to define the kind of person many of us on this board are, we are not Atheist, positively and actively denying the possibility of the existence of a God.

We are open to accepting proof, we just do not feel we can assert there is a God in the absence of proof. ours is the "Theory of the absence of knowledge" as Huxley defined it.

Clarence Darrow wrote an essay entitled "Why I am an Agnostic" he ended with the thought : "Sceptisism and doubt lead to study and investigation, and investigation is the beginning of wisdom"

Hence I label myself an Agnostic.

But the problems of Christian belief, and any belief system that lacks solid , testable proof, are that they rely on blind faith, and no matter how loud they shout,that theirs is the true religion, just blind faith is not good enough for me.

Love

Wobble

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Now, I am curious, what Proof is valid to you so that you would believe in God?

For what reasons have rejected Santa Claus and Zeus?

Being a non-believer requires LOTS of "I don't know". Lots. And lots. Instead of, "God did it".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit