HELP ME REPAIR THE WORLD

by Terry 39 Replies latest watchtower bible

• snowbird
    snowbird

GRE - GOR!!!

I like this suggestion especially well.

4.Eat something that's good for you and omit one urge that's bad for you. Just one each day. If you smoke, stifle one cigarette. If you drink, pass up the "one for the road." If you swear, remove one nasty "shit, fuck, hell or damn" and zip it. Just that one time.

Sylvia

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Well said, Terry.

Your post brought to mind "How to Win Friends and Influence People" written by Dale Carnegie. I have cut/pasted the primary points from that book below, which fit nicely with your suggestions I thought, though perhaps not precisely to the theme of this thread:

The core principles of each section are quoted below.

Fundamental Techniques in Handling People

1. Don't criticize, condemn or complain.
    2. Give honest and sincere appreciation.
    3. Arouse in the other person an eager want.
    Six Ways to Make People Like You

1. Become genuinely interested in other people.
    2. Smile.
    3. Remember that a man's Name is to him the sweetest and most important sound in any language.
    4. Be a good listener. Encourage others to talk about themselves.
    5. Talk in the terms of the other man's interest.
    6. Make the other person feel important and do it sincerely.
    7. Twelve Ways to Win People to Your Way of Thinking
    8. Avoid arguments.
    9. Show respect for the other person's opinions. Never tell someone they are wrong.
    10. If you're wrong, admit it quickly and emphatically.
    11. Begin in a friendly way.
    12. Start with questions the other person will answer yes to.
    13. Let the other person do the talking.
    14. Let the other person feel the idea is his/hers.
    15. Try honestly to see things from the other person's point of view.
    16. Sympathize with the other person.
    17. Appeal to noble motives.
    18. Dramatize your ideas.
    19. Throw down a challenge.
    Be a Leader: How to Change People Without Giving Offense or Arousing Resentment

1. Begin with praise and honest appreciation.
    2. Call attention to other people's mistakes indirectly.
    3. Talk about your own mistakes first.
    4. Ask questions instead of directly giving orders.
    5. Let the other person save face.
    6. Praise every improvement.
    7. Give them a fine reputation to live up to.
    8. Encourage them by making their faults seem easy to correct.
    9. Make the other person happy about doing what you suggest.

With due credit to Wiki's summary: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_Win_Friends_and_Influence_People

I agree - encourage ourselves and others toward positive action is rudimentary to "Repairing the World"

Jeff

• Terry
    Terry

DALE CARNEGIE is one of my hero-est idols!

Amazingly simple, straight, clear thinking and extremely do-able.

Practical trumps almost anything else.

Thanks AK-Jeff

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

1. Try to make each person you encounter today feel a little bit better. A kind word, a brief clasp on the shoulder and a smile and a well-wish doesn't cost a cent.

"Your not nearly as ugly as you were yesterday!"..

2. Encourage somebody. Tell them you believe in them. Open a door and hold it for somebody (male or female).

"It`s unlikely you could get any Dumber..Let me get the door for you"..

3.Stifle the urge to disagree. Try saying, "I hear what you're saying. That's something to think about." This rather than bulldozing them with your "better" opinion.

"I have no idea what your babbling about..So theres not much point arguing with you"..

4.Eat something that's good for you and omit one urge that's bad for you. Just one each day.

"Have a HotDog..Eat the Wiener,throw away the Bun!"..

If you swear, remove one nasty "shit, fuck, hell or damn" and zip it. Just that one time.

"Some people would lose thier entire vocabulary..Might not be a bad Idea"..

5.When you hear yourself say something negative like "This is going to be a horrible day..." immediately say aloud three positive things. "I have my health." "I've got a job" "My family loves me." Three to one. Better still, follow that negative phrase with .."oh, that isn't really true. I can make things better if I try."

"I don`t want to put a gun to my head today..This is going to be an Awesome day!"..

6.Find something good about the people you don't like. Find just one tiny thing. Say it aloud. "That idiot, Fred, is really a good father to his daughter. I admire that." Something like that.

"That Fred is an Idiot..Thank God he won`t live much longer"..

7. When somebody is rude to you or cuts you off, jostles you in a crowd or barks at you....try feeling sorry for them.

"You don`t look that bright..Are your mom and dad blood relatives to each other?"..

............................ ...OUTLAW

• Mythbuster
    Mythbuster

Person 1: "Can I ask a stupid question?"

Person 2: "Better than anyone I know."

Kinda makes my heart all warm and fuzzy.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Outlaw!!!

ROFL!

Sylvia

• garyneal
    garyneal

okay, count me in

• Open mind
    Open mind

Nothing to add.

Nothing I need to work on.

Excellent thread Terry!

Thanks,

om

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Great list and thread Terry,

I say "lead by example".

Wanna the eorld to be better? be better!

Want a better environment? do your part !
    Want a more loving neighbourhood? be more loving !

Want to help the homeless? Help the homeless !
    Almost sounds like a "love thy neighbour as yourself" thing.... ;)

I think Terry's post does illustrate something very vital and that it, it doesn't take much to make a difference, but it does take doing SOMETHING.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Thanks Terry....great thread.

These may seem like little things, but it all adds up!

Volunteer, even if its just 1 hour a week, it will not only lift the spirits of those you are helping, but lift your own. (if you don't feel qualified for anything, consider helping a teacher at your local elementary school. They are desperate for help. When my kids were little I went in 2 times a week and helped young children to read that were having difficulty, did artwork, or just copied papers for the teachers. They were so very appreciative.

Donate or join a free recycle club in your area. www.freecycle.org.

Get serious about recycling.

If you are in line behind some one short of change, cover it if you can.

Let those with just a few groceries, the opportunity to go ahead of you if you have a large full cart.

Don't get angry in traffic. You are just raising your own blood pressure.

Adopt a pet from the local humane society instead of buying one.

Last but not least: Read the 4 agreements by Don Miquel Ruiz. Following summary from Amazon.com

1. Be Impeccable With Your Word
    Speak with integrity. Say only what you mean. Avoid using the word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others. Use the power of your word in the direction of truth and love.

2. Don't Take Anything Personally
    Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won't be the victim of needless suffering.

3. Don't Make Assumptions
    Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want. Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness and drama. With just this one agreement, you can completely transform your life.

4. Always Do Your Best
    Your best is going to change from moment to moment; it will be different when you are healthy as opposed to sick. Under any circumstance, simply do your best, and you will avoid self-judgment, self-abuse and regret.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit