HELP ME REPAIR THE WORLD

by Terry 39 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Terry
    Terry

Let's roll up our collective sleeves and repair the World!

World Repair is a central idea of Judaism, after all. You leave this world a little better than how you found it.

Most of us spend our lives busy with our own SELF. Nothing entirely wrong with that. But, to do so to the exclusion of

everybody and everything else is pathetically narrow.

What would World Repair look like?

I've given this a lot of thought personally.

I've come up with sort of a lazy person't guide to repairing the world.

1. Try to make each person you encounter today feel a little bit better. A kind word, a brief clasp on the shoulder and a smile and a well-wish doesn't cost a cent.

2. Encourage somebody. Tell them you believe in them. Open a door and hold it for somebody (male or female).

3.Stifle the urge to disagree. Try saying, "I hear what you're saying. That's something to think about." This rather than bulldozing them with your "better" opinion.

4.Eat something that's good for you and omit one urge that's bad for you. Just one each day. If you smoke, stifle one cigarette. If you drink, pass up the "one for the road." If you swear, remove one nasty "shit, fuck, hell or damn" and zip it. Just that one time.

5.When you hear yourself say something negative like "This is going to be a horrible day..." immediately say aloud three positive things. "I have my health." "I've got a job" "My family loves me." Three to one. Better still, follow that negative phrase with .."oh, that isn't really true. I can make things better if I try."

6.Find something good about the people you don't like. Find just one tiny thing. Say it aloud. "That idiot, Fred, is really a good father to his daughter. I admire that." Something like that.

7. When somebody is rude to you or cuts you off, jostles you in a crowd or barks at you....try feeling sorry for them. They are negative. Negative is like a disease. Don't let them infect you with it.

Can you think of other world repair ideas that don't cost anything?

These are suggestions for truly uninvolved, lazy, apathetic people who usually don't lift a finger.

I'm waiting.

• designs
    designs

Look around your neighborhood and community, there are plenty of projects to get involved in- humanitarian and environmental.

If you go out for a daily walk take a bag with you and clean up the road along the way. Drop off a few food items at your local Food Bank or Senior Center each week. Take your clothing and other goods to a Non-Profit Center in town. A little bit from each of us does so much good.

Earth Day is coming up in April, plan to support some project that your community needs. We cleaned up a stream and pond and now its a beautiful place to hike and picnic.

• Heaven
    Heaven

I like your list, Terry. I would add to number 4 (or add a 4b) - Exercise. Even if you just walk 10 to 20 minutes a day or do some hand weights (if you're wheelchair bound). The human body was not meant to be sedentary. Muscle health means bone health. Exercise also ensures better digestion and circulatory systems and improves mood as well.

I also like Stephen Covey's advice about 'Seeking a Third Alternative' in times of conflict and also 'Seek First To Understand, And Then To Be Understood'. Be an active listener. Another piece of advice we were given at work is... 'Don't take it personally'. Some people can be caustic. Put the baseball glove up next to your heart -- don't let the negativism get to your emotional level. This is pretty hard to do in some cases but it can be done. There is a space between stimulus and response. Use this space wisely. Try to be proactive, not reactive.

And, for me, if you want to get a bit more active, I am very interested in Permaculture -- "All the world's problems can be solved in a garden." -- Geoff Lawton:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S6kTlz6Mk4

• Farkel
    Farkel

:Can you think of other world repair ideas that don't cost anything?

:These are suggestions for truly uninvolved, lazy, apathetic people who usually don't lift a finger.

How about making topic headings with all uppercase letters a felony?

Farkel

• journey-on
    journey-on

Laugh more (laughing at Farkel).

• awildflower
    awildflower

I think Terry those are excellent ways to start!

• Terry
    Terry

How about making topic headings with all uppercase letters a felony?

Farkel

well, farkel....you really gave me a belly laugh. i assume you are a big fan of e.e. cummings.

To all non-Farkelites: good suggestions! Keep em' comming.

• the real life
    the real life

I feel a little more positive just from reading the suggestions :)

Thanks

• snowbird
    snowbird

*rolling up sleeves*

Ready!

Set!

Repairing!

Thanks, Terry.

Sylvia

• Gregor

Share this

Google+