Handbill for 2010 District Conventions

by dozy 29 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom

slimboyfat said:

Locally my experience is that even elders are quite dismissive of the convention invitation campaigns. They know it is a waste of time

True!

However, in the case of wanna-be elders (MS trying to reach out), it's a case to shine and be proactive. A MS in my congregation was really gung-ho about this campaign and used this to get points to become an elder. He was appointed last spring.

Alligator Wisdom (aka Brother NOT Exerting Vigorously)

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

This is another way that they can waste people's time and gas money. Handing out these wastes of paper that they realistically do not expect to draw a response sounds like an easy way to get new publishers (so they can inflate them once again, from an honest 800,000 to a dishonest 7,500,000). It also prevents children from enjoying their school vacations, or studying for exams toward the end of the school year.

• chickpea
    chickpea

what exactly does the campaign accomplish
    in a rural "territory" that has a DC venue
    7 HOURS away in another state?

if you try to point this out to a dr0ne
    they will spout off something like
    " angels are directing the work"
    or some blather about sheep
    and g0ats....

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

The flyer campaigns offer WTS a piece of time where only cheap flyers are left with people. That means less distribution of thicker materials. In the past, they wanted the JW's to pay for the thicker materials and try to get some donations for them from the public. As time went by, they realized that JW's were giving their time and only putting the public-collected donations in the box without donating much themselves. The members figured that Jehovah was blessing the work, the important thing was to get "the truth" into people's hands and then they would contribute.

So a month or so of only distributing cheap flyers (that the dubs generally do donate a small amount for) allows WTS to recoup some losses. Members do donate at the conventions, so they feel better about trying to get others to the convention and may even donate a tad more.

In the case mentioned about rural areas 7 hours away from the convention, it is totally ineffective. In most other areas, a few curious may come but it really is about inviting the choir to join in the singing.

• Sargeant Pepper
    Sargeant Pepper

Most JWs I knew, including myself would literally sh*t themselves if anyone ever expressed an interest in "the troof"

• Simon Morley
    Simon Morley

My last year of doing this I saw it as "ServiceLITE" - quick dash around the territories on a nice spring morning then off for coffee and home by noon.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

The only people who get worked up about WBT$ Campains,are JW`s..

Nobody else cares..

Rarely do anyone but JW`s,show up to WBT$ events..

WHOOP-DE-FRIGG`N -DO!!..

..................... ...OUTLAW

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

OTWO: Hmm, interesting. I never considered the cost savings angle.

Another possibility: The handbills create a time urgency for going out in "service" and ringing those doorbells before convention weekend comes around. In other words, it's a motivational tactic. The real purpose of the handbills may have nothing to do with them being read!

GLT

• hoser
    hoser

The handbill distribution stirs up the competition between congregations as to who gets their territory finished first. If one cong gets done before the alloted time then they go over to help the other cong in our hall do their territory. No one wants to be showed up to be a slacker congregation so everyone gets at it to get the job done first.

The money aspect of the cam-pain makes a lot of cents. or dollars. the WTS really seems to be watching their bottom line these days. Someone at the top must be grieving the spirit cause it appears Jehooba isn't blessing the work as he should/could

• sweet
    sweet

i have to say that the distribution of ANY convention or assembly handbill is NOT a waste of time...i know from experience out in service that a brother got a hold of a woman that her relative is a jw...and that she was thinking about going to kansas anyways...this was out in oklahoma territory...she told the brother with me right there that thats just more of the reason to go because she loved the conventions and assemblies and she didn't know where one was held at....even when i wasn't a jw i went to the conventions and assemblies because i loved them...they made a lot of sense...PLUS you get to look into the bible A LOT!!!

another note...the audio for the assemblies and the conventions are on the fm radio and if you have an fm recorder you can record them and it has great sound quality...they even mention what radio station it is on and the frequency...the conventions and assemblies ive been at its been fm...

jws also offer to people of interest that if they don't have transportation they will be glad to take them with no fee whatsoever!!! also for ones who are not able to make it to convention or assemblies the jws also go through whats going to be covered and they'll be glad to go through those in peoples OWN copy of the bible...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit