Finding it hard to tell family I don't believe in bible or God

by artemis.design 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I'm an atheist, and in my opinion agnostics have commitment issues.

try adopting a more Crowley-esque mien. Maybe you can frighten your family into leaving you alone!

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I would stick with this simple statement of truth: "None of this makes any sense -- to me."

When you tell people how you FEEL, how can they argue with you?

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

If you dont know why you dont believe in God, You can read the God Delusion by Dawkins and

you should be able to put into words why you dont believe in God.

But thats a choice, you are choosing not to believe in God and you are gathering facts and presenting them.

If one wanted to flip the coin over and look at the other side you could you could read the book, "I dont

have enough faith to be an atheist" by Norman Geisler and have about as much information to say

why you believe in God.

Its a choice. There are plenty of facts for both sides. Which belief gives you the most freedom

and comfort?

• artemis.design
    artemis.design

Hahah like picture

MM I don't want to give them any leveridge to get the bible or worse WT out. They know I am familiar with the bible and JW's so I can't play daft unfortunatly.

Telling them how I feel, that is the problem. I just can't get the words out. Daft isn't it. I think it would be easier to tell them I have committed a henious crime.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

OK, how about telling them that you can't figure out why a loving god would create parasites.

The more we learn about the universe, the more cruel and heartless we see it is. Lions don't humanely knock zebras out before butchering them; they take them to the ground and begin eating them. They don't even use spices! Or napkins!

Humane values are not found in nature - they're found only in humanity.

We live in the now, not for some someday paradise. There will be no paradise.

It is as if we are canaries that have alighted on a ticking time-bomb seconds before it blows us to oblivion. We're here NOW, then we're gone forever.

That ought to be a cheery picture they can relate too, a bit different than the ones in the WTB&TS publications!

• artemis.design
    artemis.design

Yes but then I'll get the story of Jesus. And Armageddon to sort it all out ect ect.

Nevertheless, it is a good way to start breaking it to them slowly, that I am questioning the existance of God. I just have to do it in a way I am not offering myself up to be preached at.

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

If you don't want to be preached at, why not tell them that? Tactfully, of course:

"Mom, Dad, I love coming here to see you. But I have to let you know that I don't believe in god or the bible anymore. I've spent years researching this, in addition to all the years that I've spent at meetings, and I feel very strongly about my beliefs. So strongly, in fact, that it's a little annoying to have you bringing up scriptures when I'm here. So I want to be completely honest with you, because I love you. So can we keep religion off the table when I'm here?"

Just a thought...

GGG

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

or you could try this approach....

Mom, Dad, ...have you ever wondered if there really is a God who cares about us? Or have you ever wondered if the concept of God was merely an invention of ancient mankind to help explain what was then unexplainable? I've been posing this question to your neighbors this morning and you may be surprised to learn that many of them feel that God doesn't really exist. Now I realize you are very busy, but I'd just like to draw your attention to this little publication I happen to have with me....It's called The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins...now notice what it says here on page 24 paragraph 3...would you like to read that for me.....

The Oracle

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

Hahaha!! Yeah, or that... :)

GGG

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

To "win" an arguement with a witness is to NOT have one at all. As Captain Picard once said.... we have Not engaged the Borg.... well, more or less!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit