Finding it hard to tell family I don't believe in bible or God

by artemis.design 19 Replies latest jw friends

• artemis.design
    artemis.design

I was raised a witness, never baptised. In my teens I told my family, I believe in God and the bible. But I don't believe in Armageddon or that JWs are the only ones that would survive it. Since then, obviously my family have tried to bring me into the fold, with one circular arguement after another. I think they were somehow comforted by the fact that I said I believed in God and the Bible, as though it was giving them some sort of hope.

But now 15 years later, I have had enough. I want to come clean - tell them I don't believe in God (in the sense of a God which should be worshiped) and I do not believe the bible to be inspired by God.

Now bearing in mind the UK is a very secular country, why do I feel like I'm about to admit to being a homosexual or something. I'm gonna die anyway, according to them, so why is it so difficult. I have been thinking about this for a good few month.

Any comments.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

AD : You have an advantage. You are not a JW. So no matter what you tell them they cant shun you. 2.- they will always try to convert you, is part of their computer program. 3.- You need to be certain of what you believe and that what you believe is not wrong, then you will have no problem sharing it with them, perhaps you dont want to hurt their feelings but if you show them that you are willing to have open discussions about the issue then you might get somewhere.. (although not far if they are not honest about it)

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

It's just difficult to share something with our families that we know will upset them. I know I will NEVER return to a religion of any sort. I am agnostic/atheist(not sure) and I don't believe the bible is from God. It would devastate my mom if she knew this is how I feel.

Personally, I choose not to share these feelings with my mom. It's difficult sometimes because she is very zealous. Not sure what to say to you but just wanted you to know that there are others out there with similar issues.

• artemis.design
    artemis.design

To clarify, I am an Athiest - no belief at all whatsoever.

I haven't exactly lied to my family, I just haven't told them the truth. I can't tell them and I don't even know why. I know they will be quite hurt but then at least they will stop getting the biblel out at me, because I simply don't believe it. My family won't shun me thank goodness. But it may make things a bit awkward.

Arte

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

why dont you tell them your reasons of not believing? that usually is more accepted than the findings

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Is your peace of mind worth the damage this will cause in the relationship? If not, then it might be best to keep a lid on it. You can discuss your non-belief with like-minded folk and be polite with the believers. Swift about hearing and all.

• artemis.design
    artemis.design

Firstly, I don't know why I don't believe in God. Like a lot of witnesses I spent a lot of time investigating other religions and the bible after I left, I also read Hawkins book and a few others. But there was nothing in particular that lead me to this conclusion. I just don't believe in God like I don't believe in Santa Claus.

If my family could accept that I'm not interested in their religion, that would be the end of the matter. But every time I visit they start up with this little scripture, that thought for the day.

I always keep my mouth shut, read whatever crap they ask. I even quote scriptures right back at them. Sometimes I even get into theoretical debates that I don't even believe in,To some extent they relish this, always thinking I'm gonna come around soon.

My head screams bbbbuuulll ccccrrraaappp but I never say anything. After 15 years, I have had enough, I just want to "come out". I don't know if I can though

• dudeson
    dudeson

Arguing over the existence of God with my mom was more beneficial than arguing over JW doctrine.

When I gave my reasons for being a non-believer, it seemed she just can't make the connection of the god I don't believe in with "Jehovah". It's like God and Jehovah are two distinctly different deities.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

There is a difference between disbelief and non-belief. Are you sure you aren't just an agnostic?

I agree with Leaving. Don't tell unless there's a reason to.

• artemis.design
    artemis.design

Im not sure if I understand the difference between agnostic or athiest or non-belief or disbelief.

By Athiest I mean I do not believe in the God that humans have created, that interferes in our world. If agnostic means I accept the possibility that somewhere there may be a supernatural being that started everything. Then maybe in that way I am agnotic.

The point of my non-belief is that none of this matters. I spent so long thinking about it, but now I am beyond that and feel free and happy in the knowledge I do not need to know or even think about it any more. I am happy with my lack of belief.

Fair few comments here that I shouldn't tell family if it would cause an upset. Perhaps I could say that I didn't believe in the bible, without actually saying I didn't believe in God. But where would that get me, circular arguement, they would just start showing me how the bible is Gods word... back to where I started.... grrr

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit