An email from my dad

by TheSilence 16 Replies latest watchtower medical

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

I received this email from my dad today. I have not clicked on the link or responded, nor do I intend to. I accept that I am not going to change his mind, and I know he is not going to change mine, so I choose not to participate in debate with him in an effort to retain what little relationship I have with him. He only brings things like this up in emails and not very often, so I just ignore them when I get them. I am posting it here only because I thought some of you might find it interesting. So, here it is:

Hi, Kids, The video part of this link is really good. If you've ever had any reservations about the "blood issue", this might change your mind. The US Government is paying this hospital $4.7 million to train the military in bloodless medicine and surgery. But the reasons given in the video for this decision are very compelling. Your critique and comments are always welcome. :-) The Old Man Click here: U.S military to train in bloodless medicine

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

I have seen that link. I'm sure the military would love to know how to do more bloodless surgery. But, IMHO,

that's not alot of money, considering what money the shell out for other research.

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

Well, the first thought that popped in my head when I read my dad's statements about the 'compelling reasons' was that it makes sense for the military to train in bloodless surgery because in battle and/or emergency situations they couldn't always count on having blood at hand. But, I don't know how true that is or if it relates to what the link says or not because, as I said, I have no intention of probing into it further ;)

I would also think bloodless surgery training would be a good thing for those doctors helping out in Haiti... doesn't make bloodless surgery better, just something that is necessary when there is no blood available in a given situation.

Jackie

• purplesofa
  • leavingwt
    leavingwt

I think you are correct. It wouldn't be wise to respond/debate on this topic. No need to stir the pot.

• No Apologies
    No Apologies

For what its worth, his email seems to be much less confrontational and manipulative than many others we've seen posted here. And the information he is presenting is at least somewhat relevant and from a mainstream media source. Usually its more like, "OMG a two-headed baby was born in Albania! The end is so close!!!!"*

You are probably correct though not to make a debate out of it, like you said, enjoy the relationship you have with him, even if its not perfect.

No Apologies

*no offense to any two-headed Albanians on the board

• Robdar
    Robdar

it's good that you all are remaining in contact with your dad and I think you are wise not to debate the topic--one must carefully pick their battles.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

jackie...

we both have parents that are deeply ingrained in the Borg....engaging them in discussion is futile.....

...good for you for not bothering with responding.... I quit responding to my mom's forwarded emails sometime ago....

...I did send her the chart of the 6 variations of the generation issue per WT sources...she has not responded...no surprise...but her phone calls have taken a sharp decrease in frequency and duration since then....

Snakes (Rich )

(toni and mr h say hello)

• TheSilence
    TheSilence
    For what its worth, his email seems to be much less confrontational and manipulative than many others we've seen posted here.

Oh, most definitely. I hope I didn't give the impression that the email had me upset. Trust me, I just ignore these things and move on. I really only posted it because I thought some people on here might find the included link interesting. I forced my Dad's hand once and he has grudgingly come to accept that my brothers and I are not witnesses. It's harder for him to accept from me because, you know, I'm a girl and all. ;) Luckily none of us were ever baptised so although the relationship is distant and strained, there *is* a relationship, which is much more important to me than proving a point that would accomplish absolutely nothing. My sister is the only one of us who was ever baptised and she's still in so I'm sure she found the information to be thrilling. ;)

one must carefully pick their battles.

And, trust me, I do.

toni and mr h say hello

Say hello to them for me as well, please. Let me know when you want to do lunch again, it's been a while.

Jackie

• Heaven
    Heaven

The Silence... I like the way your Dad signed his e-mail. He doesn't sound all that bad. I agree with the others. Just let it lie. If my Dad gives me information (there's no way he'd email me that's for sure!) like this, I just thank him. And that's it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit