WTF! Only JWs have a RIGHT to pray?

by Mythbuster 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mythbuster
    Mythbuster

*** w90 5/15 pp. 11-12 Fear Jehovah, the Hearer of Prayer ***
    A Restricted Privilege

6 Human kings do not allow just anyone to enter into the royal palace unannounced. An audience with a king is a restricted privilege. So is prayer to the King of eternity. Of course, those approaching him through Jesus Christ with proper appreciation of God's glorious majesty can expect to be heard. The King Eternal must be approached with a reverent, worshipful attitude. And those desiring to be heard must display "the fear of Jehovah."-Proverbs 1:7.

7 What is "the fear of Jehovah"? It is profound reverence for God, coupled with a wholesome dread of displeasing him. This awe stems from deep gratitude for his loving-kindness and goodness. (Psalm 106:1) It involves acknowledging him as the King of eternity, who has the right and the power to bring punishment, including death, upon anyone disobeying him. Persons manifesting the fear of Jehovah may pray to him with the expectation of being heard.

8 Naturally, God does not answer the prayers of wicked, unfaithful, and self-righteous people. (Proverbs 15:29; Isaiah 1:15; Luke 18:9-14) But those who fear Jehovah are heard because they have conformed to his righteous standards. Yet, they have done more. Fearers of Jehovah have made a dedication to God in prayer and symbolized this by undergoing water baptism. They thus have an unrestricted privilege of prayer.

9 To be heard by God, a person must express prayerful sentiments that are in harmony with the divine will. Yes, he must be sincere, but more is required. "Without faith it is impossible to please [God] well," wrote the apostle Paul, "for he that approaches God must believe that he is and that he becomes the rewarder of those earnestly seeking him." (Hebrews 11:6) Well, then, can unbaptized persons be encouraged to pray with the hope of being heard?

10 Aware that prayer is a restricted privilege, King Solomon asked that Jehovah hear only foreigners who prayed toward God's temple in Jerusalem. (1 Kings 8:41-43) Centuries later, the Gentile foreigner Cornelius "made supplication to God continually" as a devout man. Upon gaining accurate knowledge, Cornelius dedicated himself to God, who then gave him the holy spirit. Following this, Cornelius and other Gentiles were baptized. (Acts 10:1-44) Like Cornelius, anyone today progressing toward dedication may be encouraged to pray. But an individual who is insincere about studying the Scriptures, does not know the divine requirements for prayer, and has not yet displayed an attitude pleasing to God cannot be said to fear Jehovah, have faith, or be earnestly seeking him. Such a person is not in position to offer prayers acceptable to God.

11 Some who were at one time progressing toward dedication later may seem to be holding back. If they do not have enough love for God in their heart to make an unreserved dedication to him, they ought to ask themselves whether they still have the wonderful privilege of prayer.Apparently not, because those approaching God must be earnestly seeking him and also righteousness and meekness. (Zephaniah 2:3) Everyone who really fears Jehovah is a believer who makes a dedication to God and symbolizes it by getting baptized. (Acts 8:13; 18:8) And only baptized believers have an unrestricted privilege of approaching the King Eternal in prayer.

This is messed up on so many levels!

• shamus100
    shamus100

Naturally, God does not answer the prayers of wicked, unfaithful, and self-righteous people

There you go. Jehovahs Witnesses are not the true religion, case closed.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Well it is 1990. That is old an ancient in JW years.

• WuzLovesDubs
    WuzLovesDubs

Nice isnt it? How they can just put God into a box, slap a sticker on it that says MINE MINE MINE!! And the rest of us got nothin. Gosh why didnt I think of that? Owning God all to myself? So then all I would have to do is ask to win the lottery and God, having no other prayers to answer but mine, because I own Him...would say "Sure! How much?"

• Mythbuster
    Mythbuster

Thanks ATJ, is this not how they think today? If they've changed it, I'd like to read that because this is insane. I am certainly gaining a lot of understanding about this organization.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter
    If they do not have enough love for God in their heart to make an unreserved dedication to him, they ought to ask themselves whether they still have the wonderful privilege of prayer.

So, according to this article if your baptismal vows contain the reservation of dedication to a man-made organization, instead of to God alone "...in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit" (Matthew 28:19), then you have not earned the wonderful privilege of prayer. They should adhere to sound scriptural principals and stop praying in the Kingdom Hall!

GLT

• Out at Last!
    Out at Last!

Since they are the only ones that God talks to, it kind of makes sense that they are the only ones who can talk to him. Makes sense in a jw kind of way, that is.

God's only channel of communication? Can't get a prophecy or a date right in over 100 years. The GB couldn't predict a pimple on their own ass after they see the red bump forming.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Sorry mythbuster, my sarcasm didn't translate. Yes, they still think that way. This also makes them idiots in a way that could cause another definition of "idiot" to be made....

They are pretty blunt at times. In spite of their efforts to nicen their appearnance, they are hard core control artists.

• Mythbuster
    Mythbuster

No problem ATJ. I picked up on it. My question was more of a shock response to this being the way they think. Self righteous bunch of fools.

• freetosee
    freetosee

I was a pioneer and out in service with our new (young) CO. While traveling in the car I told him about one of my BS. This man was a SDA and I was very impressed how similar our beliefs are and that they make use of our books. When I told the CO that when he prays I feel like he is a brother and that he has deep love for the bible. The CO said, that he should not be praying at the beginning or end of the study, because he is not baptized. I was stunned and asked why. The CO said, he will be discussing this at the next meeting and we will soon be studying this in the wt.

I told him, this doesn't make sense, because when I offered the BS, the guy said, we can study from our books, but also from his churches ones. I thought that was a good idea. Later I was told by the elders that this is not allowed and that I should not be reading books from Babylon the Great. When I tried to explain this to my BS we agreed to use only the bible as a basis for our BS. It was one of the studies I most enjoyed.

When I invited him to the kh, he said, he'll be happy to come and invited me to his church. So now I had to tell him, that I cant attend his church services. I really felt bad!!!

So I asked the CO, how can we expect anyone to accept the truth? We offer literature, but dont accept theirs. We invite to our meeting, but dont go to theirs. How should I tell my BS that he cant pray in his own home? This cant be right! A sister was sitting in the back of the car and agreed with me. The CO said, we have the truth and must trust the society and the wt will explain.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit