WTF! Only JWs have a RIGHT to pray?

by Mythbuster 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Butterflyleia85
    Butterflyleia85

Ha well I do remember after my nonJW family would say a prayer, my grandma or mom would lean over in my ear and say," Ok now say your prayer to yourself" because that was the worldy person saying a pray and God only heard his people's prayer!

• Mythbuster
    Mythbuster

Thank you everyone for your input.

Donut hole said:

I can't stress what a disgusting lie this is. No man has the right or authority to stand between a person and their Heavenly Father and tell them they do have access to him. To do so is to treat Jesus Christ with gross disrepect. They thus say that the only way a person can come to their Father is through them, and their organization, not through Jesus Christ.

This is what I am coming to see about the JWs. In order for me to do anything that is pleasing to god, even if it is just to talk to him, the first and obviously most important step I need to take is to drop every notion of what I understand the bible says a loving god is and accept this organization as my personal savior. Then god will go, Hey Myth, where ya been?

All I can do is shake my head.

What about all of the crap in the What does the bible really teach book about prayer? I need to re-read it and see where the "hook" is that says god won't hear a non JWs prayer.

Unbelievable!

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Yeah, they slipped this in over the years and I hardly noticed until one day I heard something that made me sit up and take notice. I never accepted them or anybody else for that matter who insinuates themselves between a person and God or Jesus. They are presuming to occupy a very high place!

This is the height of arrogance and they seem to have no fear of making proclamations like this. I wonder if they really fear the true God?

• sacolton
    sacolton

Myth: More like ... "Hey, Myth, where ya been? Missed you at the meetings. Say, are you doing enough in your ministry work? How about putting in some extra hours in your field service? Also, if you could come in to the Kingdom Hall, say, around noon to clean that would be greeeeeeat. M'kay? Hope you'll be regular in your attendance to all our meetings. Oh, I noticed you didn't get the memo on the TPS reports - I'll have a elder send you a copy. If you could just remember to turn in your time at the end of the month that would be greeeeat. M'kay? Thaaaaanks."

"Oh, I'm gonna need my big red stapler back. Thaaaanks!" *snatch*

• Juli
    Juli

I posted on an internet board for years with a JW woman. When she had some health problems, several of us said we would keep her in our prayers. She pointedly asked us not to, because our prayers weren't heard by Jehovah, but demons might hear them and jeopardize her health. I am not kidding! And this was a woman who was an internet acquaintance for several years by this time.

My stepson used to do the "say your own prayer after the infidels are finished" when we'd say grace at the dinner table. Our prayer didn't "count" to bless HIS food. Urgh. It's such a hateful, impolite, unkind religion.

• Mythbuster
    Mythbuster

Sacolton, that's pretty funny. Except it's more like "Hey Myth, why aren't you studying anymore?" What the heck is a TPS report?

Juli, that is just totally f-in messed up. Seriously.

I came hear to learn the truth about the truth and I guess I'm about to graduate. Thanks all.

• shamus100
    shamus100

Mythbuster,

Thank god you never saw the cooling off once you go for your dunk. Once that happens, you're on your own baby! And ain't no swinging dick gonna give two shits about you if you mess up either. Crude but true.

The demon stories... oh my. From demons inhabiting second-hand clothing to people working at nursing homes and quitting because the nursing home was partially funded by churches and they 'could just feel' that the demons were getting in the way with meeting attendance... flying ouijai boards burning, need I go on???

They are listed by most as a high-control group. That is the best case scenario. Most others call it a cult. Call it what you will, they just plain old suck.

• Mythbuster
    Mythbuster

Thank you monkey man, here's a nanner for ya. I am no where near being dunked, not even thinking about it. I'm gonna read up on the demon thing, sounds like fun.

• shamus100
    shamus100

Watchtower Society's Occult Association B. J. Kotwall

The Watchtower Society (WTS) advises against association with the occult, including spiritism, astrology, necromancy, mysticism and other similar beliefs and practices condemned in the Bible. (Deuteronomy 18:9-11)

For example:

The Flood forced the disobedient angels to dematerialize, and, now separated from Jehovah's holy organization, they became an invisible demonic organization under Satan's domination. (Ephesians 6:12) In order to control mankind, they use spiritism, necromancy, astrology and other occult devices. Although unable to take on human form again, they often possess humans, animals and inanimate things such as fetishes. The Watchtower 1984 March 15, p. 28-29

Let's examine whether the WTS has followed its own advice and avoided spiritism, necromancy, and astrology.

Necromancy

Necromancy refers to divination through alleged communication with the dead.

After Charles Russell the first president of WTS died in 1916 the following was said about him keeping contact with the WTS:

This verse (Revelation 8:3) shows that, though Pastor Russell has passed beyond the veil, he is still managing every feature of the harvest work…We hold that he supervises, by the Lord's arrangement, the work yet to be done. The Finished Mystery 1917 pp. 144, 256

Hence our dear Pastor, now in glory, is without doubt, manifesting a keen interest in the harvest work, and is permitted by the Lord to exercise some strong influence thereupon. Watch Tower 1917, November 1 p. 6161 [ WTS's reprints]

The second president of the WTS Joseph Rutherford under whose aegis the above two statements were made, later contradicted them:

No one of the temple company would be so foolish as to conclude that some brother (or brethren) at one time amongst them, and who has died and gone to heaven, is now instructing the saints on earth and directing them as to their work. Jehovah 1934 p. 191

However, in a complete flip-flop the WTS in 1989 reverted back to their necromantic belief:

It is fitting, then, that one of the 24 elders, representing anointed ones already in heaven, should stir John's thinking…(Revelation 7:13, 14a) Yes, that elder could locate the answer and give it to John. This suggests that resurrected ones of the 24-elders group may be involved in the communicating of divine truths today. Revelation – Its Grand climax At Hand! 1989 p. 125

Spiritism

Charles Russell believed that "A truth presented by Satan himself is just as true as a truth stated by God…Accept truth wherever you find it, no matter what it contradicts." (Zion's Watch Tower 1879 July pp. 8-9) In similar vein the WTS of today also uses any sources at their disposal to confirm their "truth", notwithstanding that Russell's statement is condemned in the Bible! (John 8:44)

Although rejecting spiritism the WTS repeatedly used the writings, of a known spiritist Johannes Greber, as a scholarly support for their beliefs. The WTS was aware of Greber's spiritistic connections from 1955 but continued to use his works until 1987 (particularly to support their incorrect translation of John 1:1) while at the same time denying that they were aware of Greber's spiritistic practices! (Investigator No. 24, May 1992.) After being exposed for the use of Greber's works the WTS apparently stopped using him.

WTS has however found another spirit medium in one John S. Thompson to support their John 1:1 translation! He is listed as an authority in the WTS's Kingdom Interlinear Translation 1985 p. 1139-1140. Research in Thompson's book, The Monotessaron, or The Gospel History, According to the Four Evangelists (1829) shows that his inspiration and direction came from the spirit world!

Demons

The WTS has always had a morbid fascination with the subjects of demons and Jehovah's Witnesses (JW) have developed tremendous fear of demons and Satan. Russell used to write about spirit manifestations. (eg. Zion's Watch Tower 1907 October 1 p. 4069 WTS reprints)

Recent Watchtower publications also have warnings and instructions on how to deal with demons and demonized objects, shunning omens and "voices", rejecting modern "demonized" music, resisting wicked spirits etc. (The Watchtower 1974 June 1 p.328; 1983 October 15 pp. 11-15; 1963 March 15 pp. 186-190)

Jerry Bergman in his book Jehovah's Witnesses and the Problem of Mental Health (1992) relates case histories showing how the WTS is seriously demon-oriented.

There have been numerous cases where a JW was perceived by the WTS elders to be demon-possessed. The elders then frequently take charge of the unfortunate situation and enter the house of the "possessed" JW and systematically start to destroy by burning whatever objects which they think are devil-related! This Shamanistic practice would result in the destruction of crosses, rosaries, pictures, books, heirlooms and even items like blankets, furniture and clothing if acquired from someone or a body which is considered by the elders to be in league with Satan!

Havor Montague in his article The Pessimistic Sect's Influence on Mental Health: The case of Jehovah's Witnesses states that he "has worked with many cases where the suggestion of "demon influence" has been the factor that has caused the neurotic witness to become a complete psychotic." (p. 144)

Astrology

WTS regularly condemns astrology and star worship as pagan. (Awake! 1994 July 8 pp. 3-7)

But, for 62 years (1891-1953) the WTS taught that God resided on star Alcyone, which was the eternal throne of God, and from there he governed the universe. Also the Great Pyramid, of Egypt, which was also considered by the WTS as God's Stone Witness, provided additional proof of the location God's throne on the star Alcyone. (Studies in the Scriptures Volume 3 1891 pp. 313-369; Reconciliation 1928 p. 14) At the WTS's burial lots in near Pittsburgh City a large pyramid shaped monument is erected near Russell's grave, seven feet high and nine feet across with the Knight Templar logo atop the pyramid.

Astrology and planetary positions were used to support the WTS's predictions of the "long promised era" to start by 1914. (The Watchtower 1903 May 1 p. 3184 WTS reprints)

The three Magis, who came to visit the new born Jesus, are considered by the WTS as pagans because they came "from eastern parts" which was the then centre of occult worship and because they depended on astrology (a star) to guide them! (The Watchtower 1983 October 15 pp. 11-15)

For more details regarding WTS astrology connection refer Investigator No. 41, March 1995.

WTS and the Freemasons

Fritz Springmeier in his book The Watchtower and the Masons presents a convincing insight in WTS's early connection with the occultic Freemasons.

The following are a few of the parallels between the two organizations presented by Springmeier.

· Jehovah is the most important word being the basis of their dogma, and the name of their God.

· Both use the Masonic term "Great Architect"

· Both believe God yielded power to a lesser god.

· Both believe in a future life for all mankind, a new Golden Age.

· Both emphasize continuing revelation.

· Both see an exclusiveness to truth.

Russell used the Egyptian Trinity Winged Sun-Disk on his books and tracts. This use of the Sun-Disk is similar to 33 degree Masonic Knights Templar logo. (Springmeier p. 111-115)

Communication with Angels

Joseph Rutherford the second president of the WTS believed his spiritual enlightenment came from angels because the Holy Spirit had ceased functioning since 1918. The angels channeled information into his mind from God residing on the star Alcyone. (Preservation 1932 pp.51; 201-203; Watchtower 1931 November 1 p. 327; The Watchtower 1934 April 1 p. 105)

Finally a quote from The Occult (Colin Wilson 1979):

The artist…sees clearly that the 'solution' to the curious pointlessness of most human existence is not another life but the occasional moments of ecstatic intensity and control when this universe seems infinitely interesting and the idea of eternal life, in this universe, entirely delightful. This is an idea that can be found in Russian mysticism - in Fedorov, Dostoevsky, Rozanov - that eternal life means life on this earth, not in another world. The Jehovah's Witnesses oddly enough hold a similar doctrine: that after the Day of Judgment, the earth will turn into Paradise. (p. 762) (Italics in bold added)
  • Mythbuster
    Mythbuster

Holy hell!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit