What's in it for the Governing Body?

by dissed 32 Replies latest jw friends

• dissed
    dissed

For many JW's, they point to the GB as wonderful examples of zealous, humble, older men that are only serving JG for right and correct reasons.

Unlike many of the preachers we see on TV, they are, and this is the important point, 'not in it for the money'.

Of course we see them differently on this site, exposed many times over, as being self-serving hypocrites.

But if you want to win-over a JW doubter, this is one of the questions you have to answer. "What's in it for the GB member? Why are they doing this if not for the money?"

Back in Rutherford's day, it would have been easy to point out his corruptive reasons for leading, and his fleecing of the flock ways. But with these leaders, they don't have secret bank accounts, mistresses on the side, bought and paid for with the 'Lords money'. The image they project is clean on the outside, above reproach, and steadfastly doing their Lords bidding.

My first thoughts is to compare them to the example of the Jewish Sanhedrin. They did not do it for the money on the surface. They loved the prominant position of control and power, high placements at social functions, and all the prestige they could muster in the Jewish system.

Especially did they love the thought, that it was they, and they alone, that God was using as someone special, above ALL others. Isn't this how the GB feels, especially lately with the leanings, that "THEY ARE THEE F & DS."

So, what's in it for them, if not for the money, and why should a questioning JW share our view? I would really like to hear your thoughts.

• JWoods
    JWoods

Yes, of course - the prestige, power, prominence.

But, they are actually doing pretty well on purely money issues as well - guaranteed lifetime food, lodging, care, travel - (and uniquely among the JW crowds, they don't have to do door to door or even all of the meetings).

Let's remember, these guys were not exactly modern-day billionaires who gave anything up to get where they are now.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Being a religious leader, even in Western democracies, is like having a never ending expense account.

No, they don't have salaries. But I think that anyone who has spent anytime with the GB knows that they don't live poorly. They have many material possessions, and don't pay for travel.

But while they get to go home to comfort, I don't think they do their GB thing for $$. They do it for the kick of power. It is a real 'delusion of grandeur' situation. They are literally deluded.

• shamus100
    shamus100

AS what Jeff said, and throw in being absolutely NOTHING in the world; something that even common dubbies suffer from. It makes them feel big when in fact, they are no better than window washers.

The leader of the Moonies had relatively nothing, either. This is not uncommon.

• zoiks
    zoiks

It is a real 'delusion of grandeur' situation.

I agree, at least based upon what I have learned about them. At first, the Governing Body had next to no real power, compared with the President. The GB itself pushed for more authority during the 70s. So their having lots of power and prestige and authority is a relatively new phenomenon. It is what they wanted, and they got it.

• lifelong humanist
    lifelong humanist

dissed

You pose an interesting question that I've considered previously.

In my opinion, the GB staff feel 'special' and really 'proud' to have been 'selected' by 'holy spirit' for the sole purpose of leading their followers in pursuing their unique version of 'spirituality'. I think that they genuinely believe that they can be a 'force for good' and 'speak for god' to their membership. Some maybe understand that the whole thing is just a sham, but I doubt this is the majority view.

The goal to serve for money, I doubt exists - although, having said that, the comfortable life style and status that comes with the position must boost their ego to some extent. I suspect that most, if not all, lack common sense and are probably diagnosably mentally unstable to varying degrees. Possibly, some are just trying to 'get their own back' so to speak, on some of the teachings that they were forced to swallow by previous GB members. I used to wonder how they ever got to sleep at night - I suspect that their conscience must be troubling the ones that still have mental capacity.

The whole thing is really rather sad - sad, mostly poorly educated, tired-out men leading an organization into whatever disaster awaits them as they follow whatever dictate they think is 'the next big thing' for them to buy into. I think they are really just 'acting out' a role that they've 'earned', so to speak, from many years of servitude.

The saddest part of all is the fact that most JWs don't appreciate that they are members of a doomsday cult. No wonder JWs are so gloomy and depressed!

lifelong humanist

• Gayle
    Gayle

I don't think money is so much their motivator. Although, to their lawyers and treasury department, it probably is. Of course, when the money rolls in, and it being human nature, ones consider that a blessing too.

To be surrounded by a circle of loyalists (near and around the world, involving 7M people) and all think they are so wise, inciteful, spiritually next to God, gives them their "trip." How would they ever give that up! Ray Franz did.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

But if you want to win-over a JW doubter, this is one of the questions you have to answer. "What's in it for the GB member? Why are they doing this if not for the money?"

You tell the JW doubter that the GB members are just like him. They have been JW's for so long that they believed they were serving Jehovah. But once they are on the inside, they may see some problems. Just like the JW doubter, they try to ignore those problems for awhile. Unlike the JW doubter, the GB members have every single aspect of their current life to lose.

"You may lose family and friends if you start thinking for yourself. They lose the admiration of millions and the apartment and the travel. They don't have a savings plan, so they have nowhere to retire to. If they were to quit, their JW family would not let them move in with them. They don't serve for money. They serve to retain what little they have."

• dissed
    dissed

What I'm trying to put together here is consise ignoble reasons why the GB enjoys their position, that can be shared with thinking JW's. There have been several good thoughts already.

I was thinking as well, true I don't feel it is for the money. But they have to be tickled to think, that although, they own little, they control billions of dollars, like corporate directors do.

Unlike a corporations' directors, they can't be fired, because they have absolute power and feel JG the Almighty, gave it to them. And even if the deeds are not in their names, (a non-profit) they have complete control as if they are the owners. JW's falsely think they own this stuff, but they don't. (see Spains Branch closing)

Nine guys make all the decisions and they can not be rescinded even if 7 million united JW's want them too.

• edmond dantes
    edmond dantes

They get to live very comfortably from pursuing their religious hobby.

How difficult can it be living in what amounts to be a fairly high standard hotel .

Why do they not publish their credentials for all to see. Let their individual history be known so that others can tell who is up to the job and who isn't.

Publish the minutes of their meetings , lets see who votes for what. Come on Governing Body ,what are you afraid of.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit