Religion after JW

by tmj4477 12 Replies latest jw experiences

• tmj4477
    tmj4477

Thank you all for your comments they were quite helpful! I am still dabbling with the Buddhist teachings I really enjoy how they promote actual thinking instead of mind numbing. Wish me luck!

• Gregor
    Gregor

Best wishes tmj. I have been where you are. You should realize that as a person in a major belief transition you are a ripe target for dogmatic viewpoints of others who think they have found the one true way.

Fuzzy Paul: "God loves us. He wants to hear us ask and responds...etc."

His entire post is an example of a person who NEEDS a religious/God component to his life. He and people like him is why Baptists (cut and dried religious dogma, heaven or hellfire) and Catholics (lots of icons, pictures, ritual and absolution from any conduct as a responsible person) and JW's (serve the WT, survive the apocalyps and live forever in personal physical comfort and indulgence) exist.

Spirituality is a distinctly separate component of any humans life and that includes atheists. Buddhism might be a good transition, but I am past that and into real life myself.

My advice is, don't jump out of the Jesus frying pan into the Jesus fire. Before you go out and accessorize with a crucifix, Rosary etc.or start trying to tickle your brain with forced emotional rebirth in Jesus, read up on Secular Humanism. The philosophy is simple. It won't take an hour of your time but you may just find it fits. You can Google the subject easily. It may not appeal to you but it is a valid perspective to consider.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I feel very "spiritual" despite my lack of belief in Christianity and the Bible and a general confidence that God isn't out there.
    I am much more in touch with the general kharma feeling that good things come to good people more than to bad people. It's not a perfect world, but generally it works out that way. While I don't subscribe to religion of any sort, I enjoy learning about why people believe as they do and eastern philosophy is wonderful. It doesn't demand belief in a deity or any sacrifice to it.

Just as you won't find me in a church pew, you won't find me in a temple of any kind unless I am a visiting tourist. But if it works for someone else, that's great. I am a bit uncomfortable with authors calling themselves Yogi Masters or Dali lamas or whatever. Eastern thought smacks of religion, but that part of it can be dismissed (unless you like it).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit