SPEAKING IN TONGUES

by D wiltshire 24 Replies latest jw friends

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

I am a believer in Christ have been DF'd since 7/01, but left the JW's in my heart for some time before that.

I feel that the gifts of the Spirit didn't end in the 1st and 2nd century but should continue until the Church is no longer on Earth.

I have been to serveral different christian groups and have heard many speak in tongues, but to be honest I'm not very impressed.

It seems to be, not supernatural,.. but more like the reaction you get when you jump in very cold water, and get a terrible chill that makes your jaw vibrate.
    The women seems to be the most prominent ones in speaking in tongues, so I wonder if it is just an emotional response, more than any thing else?
    And if Paul said to limit the speaking in tongues to just 2 and only if there is an interpeter, why does the speaking in tongues become so prominent at these meetings? And how come I never hear a translator interpet what is said?

If someone lived a trillion X longer than you, and had a billion X more reasoning ability would he come to the same conclusions as you?
  • COMF
    COMF

Ich iememnoff porthemest blesto u rabafilium. Feelia mortafren li coroborundo daspaciola ta methubla.

COMF

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

I heard an interpreter convert the tongues once.
    Revival Centres International, but thats the only place Ive ever heard interpretation. Generally, Ive not been very impressed with them either. Its quite easy to do if you just go with the flow of the meeting.
    Did you hear about the "holy laughter" movement a few years back?
    10,000 people all laughing their asses off fit to bust a gut is quite a sight. Tell me, would it be possible to be in the midst of a building full of people all roaring with laughter... and not laugh yourself?
    Not likely. I laughed, The whole pentecostal thing relies on that mass hysteria, infectious aspect , one of those mysteries of human psychology.And believe me, the people running these movements are not adverse to a little "social manipulation" to get the manifestations flowing.

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

D, I'm not sure about the tongues. Have you ever noticed that it's only the Holiness that speak in tongues?

I don't want someone in my life I can live with. I want someone in my life I can't live without.
  • LB
    LB

I'm with COMF on this one, and I understood him completly, Brother COMF I just want to say

addf kowedn solies flkjlwfe

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

• Xena
    Xena

Hey D,

I have always wondered about the speaking in tongues...almost tempted to go to a Pentcostal Church just to see them in action.

Tyydyy has a friend who is Pentcostal and she claims to lose the use of her legs when in the grip of the "holy spirit". You gotta wonder why God would use this method. I mean what benefit is it?

Personally I have come to the conclusion that it is psychological and induced by mass hysteria and peer pressure.

Just a side note on the woman who claims to lose the use of her legs during her spiritual manifestations...uuummm it happened to her once while she was having an affair with tyydyy....course he claims that this just reinforces his belief that he is indeed GOD [8>]

• Duncan
    Duncan

COMF said:

Ich iememnoff porthemest blesto u rabafilium. Feelia mortafren li coroborundo daspaciola ta methubla
    I love the way you Texans talk!

Here in the UK we would have said:

“Ich ieMAMNORFF porthemest blestEW u rabafilium. FILUWER morTERfren li coroBAROUNDo daspaciola TEW methuBLUR” - except, I think, the Scots say it a bit differently again.

I just love the accents thing.

Duncan.

• COMF
    COMF

Duncan, you should hear a latino do it. They think "feelia" is pronounced FEEL-ya instead of Feh-LI-a, and they get all tangue-tungled on coroborundo, which is pronounced co-ROB-o-RUND-o contrary to their COR-o-bor-UN-do.

COMF

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

COMF; That's not speaking in tounges, that's a bit of German, some Latin, and a bit of Elvish if I'm not mistaken!

D wilshire; It (the Bible) says it (speaking in tounges) is gonna end, but you don't WANT it to end, so you're looking for it, not cause the Bible says it will be there, but because you WANT it to be there. I think I see a pattern forming.

Hell, I'd LIKE to believe I was sexually irresistable to women, BUT I KNOW BETTER.

Why don't most places have translators? 'Cause there is no meaning in what is being said, so there's no point.

If there are translators, will translator A listening to a tape of a person speaking in tounges provide the same translation as translator B, given standard double blind experimental conditions and controls? No, they'll give different translations, because they MAKE IT UP.

Please remember sincerity is no substitue for accuracy.

All the best.

People living in glass paradigms shouldn't throw stones...

• anewperson
    anewperson

God's Holy Spirit acts differently on different people. When baptized by it some may speak emotionally but others may simply feel a joyful feeling and extra closeness within themselves to God, and for still others it may come as a feeling of powerful determination to go off to other lands and tell the Good News, etc. I suspect as you say that thereafter many women and some men too may, having experienced the voicing aspect, will continue to do so. Paul says to not prohibit it at a gathering but to regulate it so that orderly learning of the scriptures can continue. If you ask someone, say, to cease emotionalizing and they can't simply halt the get-together till they do. I do not believe in "advocating" vocalization like this but say that if it occurs naturally, then instead of assuming the person is demon-possessed as the WTS teaches, assume they are simply feeling filled with an urge to celebrate feeling closeness to God by shouting it out. Assume goodness rather than evil.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit