SPEAKING IN TONGUES

by D wiltshire 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Xena
    Xena

Skeptic...wow so you spoke in tongues..interesting...did it just happen? I would really like to hear more about the experience. I am intrigued by the phenonenon of speaking in tongues. Would you mind relating your experience. The first time it happened...the circumstances and what it felt like.

Neon - So it doesn't happen every time?

D - I am so glad you brought this topic up..I have always wondered about it...lol never thought to ask though

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    Neon - So it doesn't happen every time?

Apparently not, I'm not Pentecostal myself, so I can't say what the schedule is or if there is one, but on the few occasions I've stumbled into a Pentecostal or charismatic church, I've never seen anything too unusual. The strangest was when some people prostrated themselves on the floor at one point during the service - I was later told that they were "slain in the spirit," but I haven't figured out what that really means. But the more dramatic manifestations have somehow eluded my presence. Too bad, because I'd like to see some of this stuff happen, at least once.

Tom
    "The truth was obscure, too profound and too pure; to live it you had to explode." ---Bob Dylan

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

Neon,
    If you would like to see it happen just once(tongues), go to your yellow pages under Churchs, and from their pick a few different penticostal churches, I'm sure if you go to few different ones you'll see it. It is really very common.

If someone lived a trillion X longer than you, and had a billion X more reasoning ability would he come to the same conclusions as you?
  • Adonai438
    Adonai438

I know what you mean DW-
    It does seem a little odd to be around so many people talking at the same time-
    earlier someone mentioned the Bible states it should only be two people at once and should have an interpreter-- If I remember correctly it is actually those rules if the persons speaking in tongues are addressing the congregation- If the person is worshipping God then there is no need for an interpreter because God knows what they are saying.
    In another thread you brought this up so I'll paste it in here:

Yes I believe that the gifts of the Spirit are still in operation today.

-I do not believe as some do that you have to have certain ones to
    be saved (ie- tongues for the Bible says not all have the same
    gifts).

-Others tend to forbid certain gifts that are more miraculous in
    appearance because it makes them nervous but that too is an extreme
    that is wrong
    (1st Corinthians 14:39 says do not forbid speaking in tongues)

-When you are 'saved'- have put your faith in the true God- the
    Spirit gives you gifts according to his will
    -1st Corinthians 12:7-11.

-1st Corinthians 13:8-10 says that these will pass away but that
    happens when 'perfection comes'-- pefection has not come yet :)

-Not everyone who 'displays' these are true Christians though as
    Satan tries to copy everything of God's for deception.

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

Actually, speaking in tongues is no fun. I was always for the laying of hands. (esp on sisters)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit