Worst Witness Wedding Experience?

by spawn 25 Replies latest jw friends

• nelly136
    nelly136

someone i knew who'd been studying for some time was invited to one of the local weddings.

he told me later, he was absolutely horrified at the way the jws sat ridiculing snickering and taking the piss out of the non jw father of the bride with a known drink problem all through the wedding service. he was sad for the father and embarrassed for the jws.

he was later a bit more than taken aback when one of the single jw women who'd taken a shine to him was promoted as good wife material for him by one of the local elders......when he reminded the elder that his wife of many years may find him marrying a jw woman more than slightly objectionable, he was told that if he divorced her before becoming a jw then thered be no problem if he married the desperate for a husband jw lady.

recruitment came to an abrupt end.

as i was no longer bound by jw rules when i went to my mothers wedding i sat halfway down one side of the hall for the two congregation matrimony, ignoring the special seats on the back wall to make us feel spesssshul. they were so desperate not to sit behind myself or my stepsister they practically sat on each others laps in order to squeeze into the few seats in front.

my stepsisters uncle mortified at the way my stepsisters father and family totally blanked her after insisting on her presense, left the service and went and sat in his car in the car park. the rest of his family suffered the service but they were soo glad it was over, we went back to their house for a cup of tea as they didnt fancy taking up their invites to the reception. they'd seen more than enough.

so worst no, served a purpose ...yes

• wobble
    wobble

My own wedding ,to the lovely Mrs Wobble, was a pretty dire occasion.

I have made it up to her since, but as a callow youth of 20, I didn't know enough to insist on a good knees up instead of the then traditional two families who don't know each other sitting on different sides of a draughty Hall.

The one that gave me a laugh was where the Elder doing the vows had a "freudian" slip he should have said:

"I call on these persons here present"

Instead he said :

"I call upon these peasants ...... " at which the whole gathering, including bride and groom fell about laughing!

Love

Wobble

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

another wedding during the ceremony the boring speaker started on "about the time of the month for women and how to respect their feelings and then spoke about them being the weaker vessel"

• dissed
    dissed

jookbeard -

Howzit going with the new baby? Momma ok?

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

Dissed; yeah they are all 1 million %

• treadnh2o
    treadnh2o

The fact that they are all scripted is enough to make them cold.

The talk is from an outline and there are so many unwritten rules.

JW's suck!

• highdose
    highdose

what always struck me as odd about JW weddings is that the talk was always a recruitment drive in disguise! there were never any readings from freinds or family, and the prayers hardly ever featured the bride and groom. Of course alot of the emphasis was on the bride being submissive etc etc letting the husband be the head.... have these people any idea what they look like to outsiders!?!

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Maybe 100 people attending a wedding reception from the local congregation. The bride and groom were NOT in attendance for the meal. After the ceremony, they went to the hotel room for "dinner" while the rest of us were in the banquet room having our dinner, which was sausages and chips. And they RAN OUT of sausages and chips. They were not told to make enough for 100 people. So half of the people got 2 sausages and a few chips, and the rest got nothing. I actually thought the hotel should have thrown us a few more trays of sausages and chips just to keep themselves from looking bad. How much could this have cost? Pathetic. If they didn't have money for catering, they should have made it a "bring a dish" kind of event. Those ones were always nice with a variety of good food. I think this pioneer couple were afraid if people had to "bring a dish" then they might not bring as much monetary gifts to finance their "life saving" work.

• nelly136
    nelly136

aww joook, i thought the whole weaker vessel or women being compared to an 'ol pot to empty out into' thang was kinda sweet in a totally warped kinda way

normal weddings just dont seem the same without it.

• nelly136
    nelly136

missing link, the bring a dish events were definately some of the best entertainment,

i will always remember the every shade of the rainbow trays of cold clammy but rapidly drying out rice in a stripy pattern that had lost every bit of edible, a brave bloke dared to ask ''Who on earth would do rice like that?'' and when a woman twice the man he could ever aspire to being growled ''I DID!'' he didnt skip a beat saying.......''and they look sooo pretty...''

and the choux pastry swans that looked so delicious but the curdled cream stuff in the middle made people grab for serviettes,then wandering round with their spit parcels looking for a discreet bin drop

or the fanny craddock rizzla green iced cakes that sat there till the tables were cleared.

it never occurred as a child that it may have been a touch competitive. but there were definately some who pulled out all the stops to go one better on the donated food stakes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit