Jehovah’s Witnesses Go to New Extremes

by Mythbuster 15 Replies latest social humour

• Mythbuster
    Mythbuster

Posted on Wednesday, September 3rd, 2008
    By Marge Floori

SPRINGFIELD, Mo. - Weary from pounding the pavement for hours a day only to have homeowners shut the door in their faces or not answer it all, Jehovah's Witnesses will start toting bullhorns to ensure their message is heard.

Kingdom Halls across the U.S. rejoiced at the directive issued by leading Witness elders last week.

"We look at the bullhorns as an emergency tool needed to spread the word of the Lord," said 18-year-old Ronald Plimpton. "Maybe the residents didn't hear the door knock because they were in the bathroom or working in the basement."

Several sociologists fear these extreme actions by the Jehovah's Witnesses may prompt other institutions and groups to resort to similar methods. "We may see the Britannica salesman or Avon lady utilizing a handheld microphone in the near future," says Dr. Clarence Simolt.

"I don't plan to use them," said door-to-door salesman Mickey Jones. "When you have something people want, there's no need for noise."

Mr. Jones sells earplugs.

http://weeklyworldnews.com/headlines/1962/jehovahs-witnesses-go-to-new-extremes/

• dannyboy
    dannyboy

LOL. Good one. Nothing makes me smile faster than a well-done parody/satire......especially about Witnesses.

---Dan

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

The funny thing is that the writer probably has no clue that Witnesses used to do essentially this very thing.

• minimus
    minimus

I love Weekly World News.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

This isn't too far from the reality. In the 1920's the WTS literally did park trucks with loudspeakers blaring watchtower talks to neighborhoods.

They would go so far as to park these trucks outside churches and blast the talk into the church during services.

I can't help but wonder if this contributed to "sound nuisance" city ordinances being created.

• villabolo
    villabolo

I've seen fundamentalist Christians do the same thing at street corners. Once I even saw, about a hundred yards away, a truck parked right in front of an apartment complex blasting a megaphone so loud that it hurt my ears that far away. It was fundamentalist music.

villabolo

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Nice finish!

• Chalam
    Chalam

Just as funny is the comment!

Comments ( 7 )

Sort by: Date Rating Last Activity

GEO · 74 weeks ago

THAT IS NOT A JEHOVAH'S WITNESS. HE WOULD BE WEARING A TIE AND THERE IS NO INFORMATION OTHER THEN THIS PHOTO TO BACK UP YOUR STORY. ALSO WHO WAS THIS GUY WAS HE A JEHOVAHS WITNESS OR JUST SOMEONE ELSE PROTESTING THE MAGAZINE? THE PHOTO LOOKS A LITTLE DOCTORED IN THAT IT LOOKS LIKE THE MAG WAS ADDED IN TO THE PHOTO LATER. WHERE DID YOU GET THIS INFORMATION FROM. I THINK YOU ARE A VERY POOR SOURCE. AND ARE STARTING FALSE RUMOURS. ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE TAKING THIS INFO OUT OF CONTEXT. Of course, the dude uses CAPS LOCK to "bullhorn" his message across ;) Blessings, Stephen
  • Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

The comment is HILARIOUS. Who doesn't know the Weekly World News is a gag rag?

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

JWs have joined with other militant right wingers to get the Kingdom Message across to the non-conformists and have chosen a mascot. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit