Jevovah's Witnesses and mental health

by bubba flavel 49 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Heaven
    Heaven

My own personal observation is that amongst people I know/have known, long-term mental illness is FAR more common amongst JWs than non-JWs. I'd be interested to know if other posters have made similar observations.

Depression definitely runs in my family amongst the JWs. My Dad is battling as is my cousin. My Mom battled for years -- she is gone now.

I noticed a lot of negativity, quite profoundly, once I moved out of my parents' home and started my own life as an adult. Every time we'd visit my folks my Mom would talk about how bad everything was. She had started chain smoking too. She smoked herself into COPD and died 11 years later. She once told me that her only pleasure in life was smoking. This was such a sad statement. She never went for any sort of help. It broke my heart to see her this way. I tried to get her to go for counseling but was unsuccessful.

I learned from this is that you can't help someone that doesn't want help. And what you focus on expands. When you concentrate your thoughts a certain way, these thoughts will manifest themselves in your life.

I once described my Mom as 'a disabled thinker' to my brother. At the time I wasn't sure of the source. I know now that it was the WTS / JWs.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Back when I was a 'believer' and was telling my home sob-story to somebody at work, he insinuated to me that the JWs attract people with 'problems' because he supposedly knew somebody else who was a JW and had issues. I was a little insulted at this putdown because I was interested in the religion because I was curious about end-time prophecy. Whatever.

As time went on I did notice that there were many people in the religion who were on various meds. In all honesty, I feel that the belief system of the religion contributes to depression even in a person not pre-disposed to be depressed.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

It seems to be both ways: they attract people with problems and then they get worse and they attract other people who develop problems. Or so some studies have shown.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They are allowed to get drug therapy. However, they do not want the witlesses getting talk therapy because one of the things they might be asked to do is to leave the witlesses, or at least cut back on their stress-inducing activities.

• shamus100
    shamus100

long-term mental illness is FAR more common amongst JWs than non-JWs. I'd be interested to know if other posters have made similar observations.

Of course.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

It shocked me how many in our hall were taking anti depressants and anti anxiety meds.Out of 120 publishers I know for sure of 30 that were on meds ....and those were just ones that talked about it .

We had five sisters and three brothers over the yrs that had spent time in the mental ward for severe depressive episodes . Our congregation took it serious when someone suffered mental illness ,and were counseled to seek medical help .Physicians and Psychiatrists were Okay.. However there were warnings against certain therapists and psychologists . Those were the ones deemed dangerous to your faith .

It seemed to me there was an over amount of suffers compared to the rest of our community . I think it has to do with not living up to potential ,and constantly living with the thought of the end being right around the corner . (Plus I always wondered if there wasn't some type of mob mentality going on too . It was so common among witnesses when one sister had Chronic Fatigue syndrome ,five more would come down with similar symptoms.)

It was disturbing for me to look around the hall and know how many were just forcing themselves to be there ...I wanted to be happy now not in some new system .

Sadly there has been two recent suicides among young ones . I don't know how that has effected the rest of the congregation since we no longer attend ,but I would be worried .

• shamus100
    shamus100

Those were the ones deemed dangerous to your faith .

Despite the hype out there, people who have 'low seratonin levels' chronically aren't nearly as many as you would think. And generally, people suffer from depression for a reason.

They shouldn't get help, because if they do, they will leave the cult.

AD's are the best thing to happen to Jehovahs Wignuts. It keeps them brain-dead, fuzzy, and just plain wastes of skin, IMO.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

As I am reading this thread it made me think about how ill-equipped witnesses are at handling lifes hard -ships death, divorce and chronic illness for example . When all they are ever told is pray more ,make all the meetings, and go out in service more . When those things don't work anymore they are at such a loss.

When you have been told all your life that, 'you will live on into the new system and probably never have to die !" it makes you very unprepared for the reality of death .

Recently when a young person died in the congregation all the sympathy posts to his younger siblings were "You'll see him soon ", "think how happy he'll be when you'll see him next" , "it will be great when we hug him again " ......I guess that is suppose to be comforting ,but there is absolutly no recognition about how shitty it is RIGHT now missing your brother . Kids are not allowed to grieve in a natural way . It just can't be healthy to stuff all that saddness away because we are suppose to be so happy about the resurrection hope .....and don't even start about the guilt used such as "don't YOU want to be in the new system to see him again ? Then make sure you stay a witness "..... no wonder these people are depressed

• TardNFeatheredJW
    TardNFeatheredJW
    They are allowed to get drug therapy. However, they do not want the witlesses getting talk therapy because one of the things they might be asked to do is to leave the witlesses, or at least cut back on their stress-inducing activities.

Yes, my sisters and my mother are all on various ADs at various times.

some type of mob mentality going on too . It was so common among witnesses when one sister had Chronic Fatigue syndrome ,five more would come down with similar symptoms.)

I saw that, too. I used to call it "The Disease of the Month Club". A whole crew always had the same problems, even the same allergies. Also, went to the same "doctors."

They shouldn't get help, because if they do, they will leave the cult.
    AD's are the best thing to happen to Jehovahs Wignuts. It keeps them brain-dead, fuzzy, and just plain wastes of skin, IMO.

Agreed.

I remember being very depressed most of the time. I was surrounded by negative people who constantly pointed out all the bad things of the world. I was being told that everyone worldly was bad (drugs, sex, etc) and being controlled constantly regarding what to wear, how to wear my hair, what I should do for a job, whether I should pursue education. It crushes the will to live, after all, we weren't to have any independent thought that would allow us to be individuals. Very bland. Conversation was centered around bible and associates and gossip. Nothing intellectual or stimulating. Social life was the pits. Especially since I was a bit of a square peg in the round hole. Constantly struggling to keep up with hours in service, personal study, family study, meetings, etc, plus trying to pay bills and maintain my life.

For a jw, even the car you drive will be a factor of whether you are "good" or "bad". Other things that play into other's judgement of you are (short list): Hair length, facial hair, jewelry, clothes, car style, car color, furnishings, decorations, music taste, number of hours in service, friends, job, associates, spouse's spiritual state, children/parents state, address, financial standing (they focus on that too!), how private you like to keep your private life.

There is much more, but consider all that, no wonder they are depressed.

I remember waking up on Sunday and not going to the hall. I felt so good. I have my up days and bad days, but once I shed the guilt of "not doing enough" for the society, I have been generally happy and enjoying life.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

I disagree with you Shamus ....Prozac actually did not fuzz or fog my thoughts ...it awakened them and made me finally feel I could reach out beyond myself and be assertive for my rights ! One of my sons had the same experience ....meds gave him the confidence to say what he thought and not just go along with the program anymore .. Neither of us had to take them an extended period of time ,thank goodness ,but I know I would take them again if I ever needed them to get back on track .

I frimly believe in some cases meds are NEEDED , but yes they can and are being over prescribed . So be educated and chose a good Doctor .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit