Jevovah's Witnesses and mental health

by bubba flavel 49 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• shamus100
    shamus100

You need therapy, NOT DRUGS.

Having said that, I am no doctor. But I will tell you that AD's are among the most overprescribed meds on the planet, with littlle known about long-term side effects.

If your doctor just wants to throw you on them without therapy, seek another doctor. Better yet, get a doctor that will get you some therapy and if that doesn't work out, then go back on them. I am certain that you will feel a lot better talking to somone in real life - not typing to an asshole monkey on a mesasge board.

AD's stop working after a while, then you go onto the next... it's an endless battle. A great solution for a jehovahs witness, reminiscent of the ever-changing light.

• NINfan05
    NINfan05

thanks for the advice shamus :) i really appriciate it. it feels good to talk to someone about it. i feel kind of embarrased so its hard you know?

• shamus100
    shamus100

Yes, NINfan05, I know all too well. Do yourself a favour and get yourself help starting today if it's day where you are, or tomorrow. Make it your priority. Your life is waiting for you, and the faster you take control and wage war on this watchtower boogie-man in your brain, the happier you will be. When you actually talk to a homo-sapien who is trained in these matters, you will feel a lot better. Drugs are not the answer. Now stop talking to a monkey and get your life back.

• NINfan05
    NINfan05

lol thanks you crazy monkey

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland

I think it's dangerous to tell a depressed person that they should or shouldn't take medication... especially if you're not a doctor. Are you positive that some forms of depression can't be caused by chemical imbalances?

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

excuse me for a minute

Get off them if you can, NINfan05. Get help - the real kind, not meds.

In the short term meds can be helpful and in some cases even necessary. Telling a person to stop their meds without the supervision of their doctor can be a dangerous thing depending on the medication

The best thing of all is therapy with meds if you need them. The therapy needs to be focused on the long term effects of abuse regardless of the kind of abuse that was experienced.

• shamus100
    shamus100

I think it's dangerous to tell a depressed person that they should or shouldn't take medication... especially if you're not a doctor.

I think it is too. Nobody should quit AD's cold turkey and nobody should quit AD's without seeking out a medical professional. If your medical professional has put you on AD's and left you alone or does not believe in therapy, I say get a second opinion.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

anyone who does self diagnosis is dead wrong. To quit AD's cold turkey is a recipe for suicide

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

and BTW, I once attended a cong that would try to deal with mental illness with a WT.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Thanks for post Shamus

My own personal observation is that amongst people I know/have known, long-term mental illness is FAR more common amongst JWs than non-JWs. I'd be interested to know if other posters have made similar observations.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit