Is the Yellowstone caldera safe? You decide...

by Nathan Natas 43 Replies latest jw friends

• shamus100
    shamus100

What's jehober doin' about that? That's a pretty big zit for paradise!

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

That's what's "gonna clean the earth", Shamus.

• Gregor
    Gregor

I was thinking about this subject recently. I have read about the Yellowstone potential for a Mega-eruption. The whole "past is prolog" geological method of trying to predict when another one might occur is extremely vague. It's one thing to predict that Old Faithful will erupt every 58 minutes. Trying to use that logic to predict a cycle estimated to be within 600,000 to a million years between moments is a waste of time. The real events, like the current swarm, should be watched carefully.

So what happens if it happens? The predictions are that it could bring on conditions that could wipe out the human race. Bummer!

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

You would think that if scientists had used their knowledge wisely, they would have put forth some ideas, efforts, and experiments to circumvent this in some way. Instead, they made bombs and weapons.

• Gregor
    Gregor

I have to agree

with cameo-d

it would save a lot of trouble

if they'd put in of these

on the double

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

What is that...a Jehovah Jirator?

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

"I'm glad I live west of Yellowstone, because if it blows everything east will be affected first. "

Thanks! I live east.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

If it blows, it blows. There is absolutely nothing we can do to prevent it. Because of that, I say we shouldn't worry.

In terms to dying a horrible death... I'm more worried about being hit by a bus.

• dissed
    dissed

Damn it NN!!

I was up all night worrying about Yellowstone blowing up.

And to add: Did you know since NN posted this, Yellowstone has had 60 more earthquakes?

• Gerard
    Gerard

I once saw a documentary that showed that the ground under Yellowknife is bulging upwards, and that explains why its lake is shifting (as in moving) sideways. They argued that such accumulation of pressure is a sign of a future massive eruption unless there is a 'gentle' release over time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit