Is the Yellowstone caldera safe? You decide...

by Nathan Natas 43 Replies latest jw friends

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Scientists on Alert After Hundreds of Earthquakes Daily Rattle Yellowstone National Park

Over the course of the past two weeks, more than one-hundred mostly small earthquakes per day, on average, have shaken up a remote area of Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming. Researchers say that for the time being, the earthquake cluster is more of a cause of curiosity than alarm.

The earthquake zone is located about 10 miles northwest of the Old Faithful geyser, and is far from any road or community. The park is also relatively empty during the winter months. The swarms of earthquakes are relatively common, and a significant swarm was experienced there last year as well. Researchers say that it has shown little indication that it will build towards a larger event, such as a volcanic eruption that destroyed the Yellowstone region tens of thousands of years ago.

Scientists say that the current Yellowstone swarm does at least bear close observation due to its volume. As of Sunday, January 31, 2009, there had been 1,608 earthquakes at the park since January 17.

Henry Heasler, a coordinating scientist for the Yellowstone Volcano Observatory, said:

"We're not seeing a pattern that is really discernible yet." He added that plans were in place to intensify observations in the case that the swarm continued for a long time or got larger. "We're ready to ramp up," he said, which would include using flights to monitor the area.

Researchers at the University of Utah's Seismograph stations track the Yellowstone swarms, and say that they thought it was a coincidence that another large swarm of more than 1,000 earthquakes ahd struck the park just about a year ago. At the time, it was the second largest cluster recorded. This year's swarm, however, has overtaken the No. 2 spot. The largest recorded swarm was in 1985, when 3,000 quakes struck over the course of three months.

Dr. Heasler revealed that researchers use the park's geologic features, such as Old Faithful, as indicators of the quake activity. They look for changes in water temperature, or mud plumes in hot pools that otherwise run clear. He says that this swarm does not appear to have affected any of those natural monitors, emphasizing that analysis was on-going.

Park visitors are encouraged to help with research by reporting to park officials if they felt the ground shake. In general, attention to earthquakes has increased since the Haiti eathquake. According to the U.S. Geological Survey, visits to their Earthquake Hazards Program website have increased fivefold since the quake, to more than one million visits per day.

- - - end of story - - -

This is certainly a more realistic threat than Armageddon. The geological record shows that the Yellowstone caldera has erupted approximately every 600,000 years. Guess how long ago the last eruption was? Yes, 600,000 years ago. Ruh-Row, Scooby Doo!

Perhaps the storms of small magnitude earthquakes are a good thing - releasing energy slowly rather than in one giant KA-pow! On the other hand, WE DON"T KNOW what to expect, because there are no geologist's reports from 600,000 years ago to tell us how it all went down last time.

IF the caldera does pop, it will likely be the end of the USA as it is today, and the rest of the world would experience relief from global warming, to the n th degree.

Forewarned is forearmed, sometimes.

• aniron
    aniron

This is certainly a more realistic threat than Armageddon. The geological record shows that the Yellowstone caldera has erupted approximately every 600,000 years. Guess how long ago the last eruption was? Yes, 600,000 years ago. Ruh-Row, Scooby Doo!

Having watched a few programs on National Geographic and Discovery on this subject. I have heard the various "scientists" say that the "last eruption" was anywhere between 125,000 to 750,000 years ago. So either we have another 475,000 years to go or its overdue and could blow any day now.

Either way, there ain't nothing we can do about it.

I'll just put it on the list with :
    "global warming"
    The Earth being hit by an asterioid
    Swine Flu Epidemic
    Bird Flu Epidemic

Oh and Armageddon of course.

• Goshawk
    Goshawk

Hi NN,

For a repeat of the 'supermassive eruption' that happened 600,000 years ago the magma chamber would have to fill almost two to three times its current volume. Small quakes might indicate magma movement, stresses being relieved as the magma chamber below Yellowstone caldera is displaced laterally. This topic came up several times in our geology courses. The time to start worrying is a sustained quake swarm accompanied by large surface displacements caused by the magma chamber filling. Then even a small eruption could release the pressure on the magma chamber and trigger the event you are talking about.

Ruh-Row to say the least.

Goshawk

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Scientists say that the current Yellowstone swarm does at least bear close observation due to its volume. As of Sunday, January 31, 2009, there had been 1,608 earthquakes at the park since January 17.

Are you feeding us stale news, Nathan?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnFZsrs32Co

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I hope nothing happens during our lifetimes, but it bothers me a little when experts who have never witnessed such an event say it doesn't look like it will happen. "BASED ON WHAT EXPERIENCE?" I ask.

It also bothers me a little that the timing of the eruptions is not a uniform 700,000 years, but MAY be occuring with less of a pause between ker-BLAMs.

From: U.S. National Park Service Website, Geology Fieldnotes - Yellowstone National Park, April 2000:
    "At the heart of Yellowstone's past, present, and future lies volcanism. Catastrophic eruptions occurred here about 2 million years ago, then 1.2 million years ago, and then 600,000 years a go. The latest eruption spewed out nearly 240 cubic miles of debris..."

http://newswise.com/articles/view/534941/:
    Molten Rock Fills Yellowstone Volcano at Record Rate
    Released: 11/5/2007 2:00 AM EST
    Embargo expired: 11/8/2007 2:00 PM EST
    Source: University of Utah

Newswise — The Yellowstone "supervolcano" rose at a record rate since mid-2004, likely because a Los Angeles-sized, pancake-shaped blob of molten rock was injected 6 miles beneath the slumbering giant, University of Utah scientists report in the journal Science.

"There is no evidence of an imminent volcanic eruption or hydrothermal explosion. That's the bottom line," says seismologist Robert B. Smith, lead author of the study and professor of geophysics at the University of Utah. "A lot of calderas [giant volcanic craters] worldwide go up and down over decades without erupting."

The upward movement of the Yellowstone caldera floor " almost 3 inches (7 centimeters) per year for the past three years " is more than three times greater than ever observed since such measurements began in 1923, says the study in the Nov. 9 issue of Science by Smith, geophysics postdoctoral associate Wu-Lung Chang and colleagues..."

Anyone who has worked with a pressure cooker knows what will happen if you take the cover off while the pressure inside is still high. Now imagine a pressure cooker 28 by 47 miles around and about 20 miles deep.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Yellowstone could blow, we could get hit by a meteor, the Andromadans might land, you could get hit by a bus...

Life is dangerous.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

YES, as stale as yesterday's saltines.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

The worst part is the fact that all those Grizzly Bears and Timber Wolves are going to be blown all over the continental US. Chaos theory says that most will survive, thus I've started cacheing ammo for the day when ash covered enraged bears and wolves stalk my neighborhood.

Boy howdy, this sure is some good beer.

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

Looks like a zit

• startingover
    startingover

Sometimes it's hard to think of the big picture, the big picture that includes hundreds of thousands of years, and I have only lived during about 50 of them. That said, I'm glad I live west of Yellowstone, because if it blows everything east will be affected first. Doubt I'll see it in my lifetime, considering the big picture.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit