PSacramento

Minimus, you view the RCC as a cult?

You find the typical RC cultish?

• minimus
    minimus

Yup

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Hmm, interesting, that has not been my experience.

• minimus
    minimus

All the ceremonies, the baptisms, the garb, the incense, the church music, the look of the priests, nuns and Pope all look cultish to me. The Devil with horns, pitchfork, hellfire, rosary beads, chanting......

• Married to the Mob
    Married to the Mob

minimus

I think if you look in the right places, you will find that no church or religion is any better than another.

In the uk newpapers can be openly critical of politicians, religion, stars you name it provided it is legal. And it is open season on everyone. For every critical JW article there will be another on the Church of England or the roman catholics, jews etc.

My wife was surprised at how critical the journalism was on everything and thought that the uk was badly run because of all the stories.

When we came over to north america I have run a similar exercise to see how journalism over here is and the truth of the matter is that here the truth is very much more controlled, doesn't mean the problems aren't the same or not there, just the information is less accessable. However this is changing with freedom of information acts etc etc.

Religion needs to divide people (us and them) for all sorts of reasons but mainly to keep control. I wouldn't be far off in guessing that JWs lap up all the bad articles written in the papers over other faiths! But then dismiss articles written by the same author on JWs as being aposolate rubbish!

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    All the ceremonies, the baptisms, the garb, the incense, the church music, the look of the priests, nuns and Pope all look cultish to me. The Devil with horns, pitchfork, hellfire, rosary beads, chanting.....

Oh, you meant the tradtions and "window dressings".

I was referring to the attitude of the typical RC, they tend to be more tolerant, more accepting and afr less "we are right everyone else is wrong" than what I find in "cults".

They aren't isolationsts nor do their practises advocate "us against the world" mentality.

• minimus
    minimus

Most Catholics I know are "normal". :) The traditions ARE the Church.....MTTM, I don't think any religion is "The Truth".

• Robdar
    Robdar
    All the ceremonies, the baptisms, the garb, the incense, the church music, the look of the priests, nuns and Pope all look cultish to me. The Devil with horns, pitchfork, hellfire, rosary beads, chanting......

Just how is a cult supposed to look?

The things you mention above are for ritual.

You freek out too easily. Why don't you go to a RCC before you hop on the condemnation bus, ya little protestant?

• minimus
    minimus

Yes, a ritualistic cult.

• minimus
    minimus

scary freaky cult.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit