1914 - Soon to be Forgotten

by God_Delusion 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• civicsi00
    civicsi00

1914 cannot go away for at least another 50 or so years. It has to be really, really far into the future. The reason for this is simply as has already been stated: it is ingrained as part of their preaching work. A LOT would have to be discarded before you can do anything to 1914 (i.e. the 'Gentile Times' ending in 1914, the appointment of the FDS in 1919, the supposed "last days" starting since 1914, the ousting of Satan in 1914). Too much is still tied to this date to be forgotten so quickly. Nevermind the fact that many would be stumbled if the GB suddenly discarded it. Although it does get mentioned fewer and fewer times, it still plays a significant part in the whole Witness mentality and in the stranglehold of the GB.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

1914 is mentioned in three out of four Kool Aid Watchtowers this year, including the latest one that will allow them to hang onto it even longer.

Cheers

Chris

• agonus
    agonus

"It CAN'T be dropped, open the book of Revelation, Grand climax at hand, and pretty much ANY modern prophetic bible fulfillment, their answers are RELIANT on 1914. If they drop 1914, then they must throw out the Revelation book, pretty much EVERY prophetic book and it's answers and redo all of it. At which case, it then means that they never had anything, atleast since Russell, which was beyond state the obvious."

It happened with WWCOG...

Keep praying...

• shamus100
    shamus100

It's kind of like someone with no morals whatsoever or direction...

Whatever feels good at the time, the borg will do.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

1914 is the "plug" that the "a generation" string is plugged into. The first generation didn't reach where they wanted it to, so they need to plug in another generation to the end of the first. That is the only way to make 1914 fit in.

As they said, if you tell one lie, you need an even bigger lie to hide the first lie.

• wobble
    wobble

I think the thread title says it well, they won't drop it like a hot spud, but they will try to make sure that it gets forgotten, at least the method of how they arrive at the year by a combination of pyramidology and numerology, and a false start year for the calculation, 607 BCE.

What they will major on is that WW1, and the Spanish Flu. etc. happened , so it must mark the start of the time of the end.

The R&f average Dumbdub will soon forget the above silliness. hence my "slide away".

Love

Wobble

• No-Rap-Crap
    No-Rap-Crap

Along with their lie of 1914 they have another problem. They claim that they began to go to heaven in 1919 which is clearly a lie. Why? Because not even the apostle Paul is giong to heaven until the last trumpet blows. 1st Cor c15 vs 52-53. They have themselves going to heaven befor Jesus comes with his angels to gather the elect at the last trumpet. Matthew c25. Jw's are a lie! For them or anyone else to have gone to heaven in 1919 then everything has already happened and we have all been forgotten and left behind. The last t rumpet has not yet been blown so they are confirmed to be a lie.

• dozy
    dozy

1914 is getting mentioned less and less. The figures for Watchtower references in the magazines for each decade from the fifties shows a big downtrend (other than an early 80's blip). I would guess that the WTS would be quite happy for this date to 'wither on the vine' , especially after the 100th anniversary comes and goes. For the doctrinal integrity of 1918 / 1919 as mentioned by previous posters I guess they will maintain it but particularly , I notice very little reference nowadays in the 'Public Facing' literature , such as the public Watchtower and Awake , as it just isn't credible any longer. I remember being ridiculed on the ministry in the 90's when I maintained that the last days began in 1914 - it was so long ago even then.

Wtower

50's 900

60's 895
    70's 600
    80's 831
    90's 493
    00's 197

Yearbook

70's 134 80's 56 90's 27 00's 24

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

They'll never get rid of it, just like the Seventh Day Adventists have never got rid of their 1843 teaching. It will just become less and less relevant and meaningful.

At the best they may detach some events currently linked to 1914, eg, they may eventually slide up Jesus Kingship, parousia and the birth of the Kingdom to be future events coinciding with the great tribulation, as they should have done years ago, while maintaining that the beginning of the 'last days' and the 'composite' sign and the lord coming to his temple per Malachi 3:1 still occurred in 1914 - that way they still retain their authority and keep a mystical importance associated with the date while mitigating somewhat the absolute absurdity of it as it currently stands.

• zzaphod
    zzaphod

Please don`t laugh at me but what does R&F stand for?, as in -

"The R&f average Dumbdub..."

Regards

Paul Uk

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit