Suicide and other Fluff part1

by unclebruce 16 Replies latest jw friends

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

My younger sister ran up to me in the yard, tears running down her cheeks. "It's mum .. come quick" she pleaded. I ran inside and there was mum spread out on the bed, pills and empty tablet bottles all around her. I just stood there stareing in her rolled up blue eyes not knowing what to do next. This was the mid-sixties and i was just a kid neive to such things.

I ran into the hallway, picked up the telephone reciever and dialed 000. I went back and just held her hand till the ambulance men came and took her away. A few days later mum came home as bright and happy as ever. This is my first memory of a suicide attempt. Many were to follow.

My mother is a character and a half. Raised wealthy in one of the city of churches finest suburbs she had a brief stint acting on the stage and to this day is proud to "do the splits" for ya if you ask. She can still play the mandolin and wears a bikini while gardening much to the amazement of my quiet conservative english wife. If you're ever driving through an Adelaide suburb and see a bosomy 70 year old out gardening in her polka dot bikini, king james bible at her side you've found my dear old mum lol. Mum has a formal approach to fun and one day she took me aside from a family gathering, explained that she didn't laugh much growing up and had no sense of humour so could i please explain what we were all laughing about? lol funny woman.

Dad on the otherhand was the mystic jokerman of the tribe, a real bushman born and raised in the South Australian outback with dirt for a floor and hessian wheat bags the only thing blocking sun, wind and rain entering the windows. He taught me to hunt, fish and live off the land and grow just about anything from seed. He could shoot a rifle and throw a blade better than most and had a good dose of arse about him. (having arse means you can take on immpossible odds and win .. there's something that defies science and logic about it, you just have to be there when the mood is right .. like my mate throwing a bulls eye in darts and daring me to "beat that!" and me getting my dander up and throwing my next dart in the end of his .. you'll only see tricks like that once in yer life)

They were a fine example of the theory "opposites attract". Her a shapely blonde city girl and him a tough dark bushman. ("bushman" is not a title granted or taken lightly in australia) They quarrelled a lot, blood flowed and i hated my father hitting mum,. Her comforting me by saying things like "but i deserved it lee" just made me madder inside and I determined never to raise my hand to a woman.

Mums family are introverted city snobs. Dads couldn't be more opposite. They laugh very easily and would give a stranger their shirt if he asked. (my country cousins would more than likely make it interesting by saying something like: "let's fight for it")

Mum and Dad became baptised JW's in 1968 and the big fights stopped. In may 1975 I woke to mum screaming for me in midddle of the night. Running into the bedroom, there dad lay convulsing on the bed mum going spare. I yelled dial 000. Mum left the room and I tried to work out what was wrong. I put my head to his chest and he had a strong hearbeat. I was a 17 year old in a delema. This wasn't a heart attack and he was breathing .. I started crying, shook him and yelled "don't die dad" his eyes briefly unrolled and stared into mine for the last time, he began voming god knows what .. the ambulancemen came and took him away. He was dead. I cried in my room nonstop for three days. I loved that man.

For three days before he died we hadn't spoken. I was being a teenage prick and even seriously wished him dead. (something I carry the guilts about still)

It was a big funeral and I saw my uncles and cousins for the first time in years. The tension in the Hall was incredible. There sat Grandma the family matriach surrounded by her adoring sons and nephews. Very big men more prone to settling things with thier fists than trifling with words and here at the funeral the speaker chided them with remarks like "well Stan couldn't get you here when he was alive but now he's done it" If it wasn't for my uncles respect for dad they would have torn the Hall apart and PO Hubert Cliff might have ended up in a box of his own.

After the service was over they brushed any witnnesses away from the coffin and proudly bore it on thier shoulders down the length of the packed Kingdom Hall, when they got to me they stopped. Uncle Wilf grabbed me and, almost lifting me out of the chair, ordered a cousin aside and put me at the front of the coffin. Us pall bearers then continued out to the waiting hearse. (my family runs on theatrics but it made me feel important and part of a greater whole .. It wouldn't be the first time old uncle Wilf lifted me up when i was down .. family, blood thicker than water and unconditional love were things as yet almost unknown to me and the cousins in all seriousness telling me that i should now take on the mantle of family jokerman was weird. lol)

Oh dear I've drifted away from suicide a bit but that's the background to what i have to say tommorrow in part2. No you all go off and don't do anything silly.

unclebruce aka Lee.

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

Lee, I am so sorry.(((((((((Hug)))))))))) I am thankful that I still have both of my parents.

I do know how it feels to lose a loved one though as my grandfather who was my best friend also, past when I was 17.

May I ask what the cause of You Dad's death was?

I don't want someone in my life I can live with. I want someone in my life I can't live without.
  • jst2laws
    jst2laws

>>"Oh dear I've drifted away from suicide a bit but that's the background to what i have to say tommorrow in part2. No you all go off and don't do anything silly."

Damn. Don't do this to us!

Jst2laws

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Sorry jst2laws, i gotta go to work, besides i'm feeling a bit drained now lol ..

I could ramble on about my family forever, they really are very funny and about as far from the stern JW ideal as anyone could get ... what were my 'rocker' parents thinking, joining that lot of serious wowsers? lol.
    ===

Lilacs, Dad died of a brain hemorage. It was more than likely triggered by blood poisoning from a deep cut he refused to have properly stiched and treated a few days before.

cheers, Lee.

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Lee,

It's so good to learn more about your friends background. Often these jw.com squables, end up bringing on greater understanding for one another.

It is obvious this portion of your life was very sad, and hard for you to cope with. Thanks for letting us in on it.

Danny

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

UncleBruce,

Thank You!

IW

• Xena
    Xena

UB I know that must have been difficult to put down in words...thank you for sharing a part of your life with us!

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

Uncle Brewsky,

Thanks for sharing. We all need to try to get to know each other better.

If someone lived a trillion X longer than you, and had a billion X more reasoning ability would he come to the same conclusions as you?
  • Uncanny
    Uncanny

Uncle Bruce,

Fluffy you will never be, and I admire your guts for revealing so much about your family. You may indeed by OUR very own "family jokerman", but when you decide to hit, you hit hard. Great post.

I don't have much sympathy for suiciders myself. To me, UB, it's the ultimate in sulking. I should know, my father took his own life when I needed him most - when I was sixteen years old. What really irked me many years later after I finally came to terms with this 'tragic loss' was how the people who supposedly knew him best - "Fergus was such a kind and generous man" - still kept telling me how much he loved his family. Really? Forgive me for sounding cynical, but how can anybody love their family when they just go away one day and kill themselves, leaving their 'loved ones' to bear the scars and pick up the peices from the mess they leave behind???

Choose life, if only for the ongoing sake of the ones who REALLY love you.

Uncanny

P.S. Next time I roll my ageing FORD down the hill into Adelaide to buy some fish at the Central Markets, I'll keep an eye out for that bikini wearing old lady in her garden with a King James bible.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Uncle,
    All I can say is wow. Little did I know when I started reading this thread that by the end, I would be so drained. It sucks to loose one's father at such an early age, like we both have. Man, I want my dad back.

"Hand me that whiskey, I need to consult the spirit."-J.F. Rutherford

Jeremy's Hate Mail Hall Of Fame.
    http://hometown.aol.com/onjehovahside/ and [email protected]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit