Borg cubes inbound!

by sd-7 31 Replies latest jw friends

• treadnh2o
    treadnh2o

SD,

I had the "shepherding call" in which you are awaiting. I was not confrontational. I realized early in the conversation to watch what I was saying. I asked questions, always stating that they were just questions, not beliefs. I said I needed some time. They asked straight up " Do you believe this is Gods organization here on earth" I said I didn't know. They were fishing for something to get me on and I would not give it to them. They assumed I was reading apostate literature on the internet (like most, I looked at the apostate sites after my doubts were already established). I said I needed some time....

Over a year later, I have not been to the KH once, they got the point, the "friends" will still call the house to talk to my wife because I was not Df'd and most importantly my marriage is better than ever (my wife is not thrilled about me not being a JW anymore, but respects my stance).

Oh yeah I am not a Dub any more.

I feel your bravado as I too had a similar attitude, just remember there are consequences if you choose to bring this bravado into a shepherding call.

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

SD-7, it's the moment many of us try to put off indefinitely. I wish you courage and a clear mind. It sounds like you've prepared though--the most important thing is how you've done the research for yourself and not just to win a fight. You now know what's real and what's not. Please, please let us know what happens.

Mickey Mouse--you are hilarious!!! I love it!!

• Chalam
    Chalam

I wish you courage and a clear mind.

Amen!

2 Timothy 1:7 (King James Version)

7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Blessings,

Stephen

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers
    With all that I have learned over the past year, I am more than equipped to go toe-to-toe with any elder on any subject. Not because I'm a genius, per se, but because you don't have to be.

That, dear heart, is where you are WRONG. I'll be thinking of you. Please keep us posted. Call me if you need to.

• sd-7
    sd-7

I do admit, though, that that statement of being prepared to go 'toe to toe with any elder on any subject' came off as awfully arrogant. There is, however, a sizable difference between being well-prepared and inviting trouble by giving them an opening (ie. being stupid or careless because I think I know it all). The holes in their reasoning could be discerned under virtually all circumstances except that I will most certainly be afraid, which clouds my focus.

Having been humbled considerably about what I thought I knew over the past year, I know better than to just unload on elders. I've read The Art of War, after all. The victorious commander only enters battle after the battle is already won. Know yourself and know your enemy (and they're not my enemies save that they represent the GB's will and law, by the way). And most of all, your enemy is the one who provides you with the opportunity for victory. All you have to do is be prepared and watch for it. If you know what they're doing before they do it, you will know how to proceed.

Mentally, I'll be fine. Emotions are the real problem. I won't enter it with bravado. If anything, I enter with fear because I know what's at stake. What I meant to say was that I'm prepared. I now understand the scriptures far better than I did before. The larger principles, the spirit of God's Word--those are things that organizational training simply doesn't give you. From that perspective, they can never overcome the truth. Their approach will be emotional, not logical--emotional appeals that have a false appearance of being logical, at best.

It's 90% likely that, unless my wife lays all the cards on the table about my doubts, I will merely go along with whatever the elders say and it will pass without incident--so long as I comment and keep production numbers up and do whatever else they ask. We'll see. If, however, my wife does rat me out directly, then I will of course be in the fight right there and then. It will be difficult to pretend I don't have doubts without lying altogether. So...I will use my words carefully and measure every move.

It all happens tomorrow night, in the giant, WT-shaped Borg cube. I'm not interested in attacking the elders. I'm really only interested in defending truth--if and only if that becomes necessary. I hate confrontation. I only explained it to my wife because she asked about it. But when you're under direct elder scrutiny, you can only withdraw so far without giving up territory they no longer have the right to.

Sometimes it just doesn't come out right when I discuss this kind of thing. I don't want to make problems for myself beyond the ones I've already taken on. I want to make this as painless as possible, which isn't saying much. ... What does it matter? I don't know if anything matters anymore. When men can do this to each other, it's a testimony to just how evil man can be. ...

I'll go along with the Society as circumstances permit, until or unless the time comes to stand.

Tell me now: is there a man among you here?

Is there no one who will stand up and try to fight?

Tell me, man

Is there not one in all your ranks?

Is there no one who values courage over life?

--"The Stand: Man or Machine", The Protomen

SD-7

• HappyGuy
    HappyGuy

I would call them out on the carpet for usurping your role as head of your household. You are responsbile for our wife's spiritual welfare. The elders have taken it upon themselves to convince your wife that she is being spiritually damaged by you. I would make this the focal point of the meeting and refuse to move on to any other issues until they resolve that one satisfactorally, which they won't.

I would have my Bible handy and answer everything they ask from the Bible and insist that they do the same. When they refer to "The WTBTS says.."I would say "excuse me but I am interested in what the Bible says, not what men say, please show me what the Bible says on that ...".

The NWT is a horrible Bible. I would find where the WTBTS commends some real Bible and use that one.

• sd-7
    sd-7

Besides, with all that the elders may be, the only power they actually have ends at the edge of KH property. The worst they can do is say 9 words from one platform in one religious building and have people who only cared so much as they allowed stop caring. Which they were headed towards anyway if they saw you fading. That in itself is really not that powerful, when you understand they're just men.

It will only hurt because the illusion was real for so long. But when it's done, then the gloves will come off altogether and they will get it with both barrels. Metaphorically speaking, of course. (If I was speaking literally, it would hardly be wise to talk about it on the worldwide web, now would it?) Anyway, it's fine. Odds are it'll go without serious incident.

SD-7

• sd-7
    sd-7
    I would have my Bible handy and answer everything they ask from the Bible and insist that they do the same. When they refer to "The WTBTS says.."I would say "excuse me but I am interested in what the Bible says, not what men say, please show me what the Bible says on that ...".

HappyGuy, we are on the same page! That's actually the first thing that comes to my mind.

SD-7

• JWoods
    JWoods

Probably it all depends as much on the elder's mood on the subject as on yours - if they have already made up their minds, then so be it.

You do have the advantage of your own self control - letting them well and truly have it, or just saying pretty much nothing at all.

I personally would be more concerned with the impression left upon your wife.

Good luck with it, James

• Aeiouy
    Aeiouy

Locutus, I mean SD-7, I am very excited to hear what happens. I sincerely hope you don't have to live any lies. That's not fun or healthy for anyone. Best wishes again to you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit