on the fence

by In 39 Replies latest jw friends

• cantleave
    cantleave

If you are giving your time and devotion to a religion, you want to make sure that it isn't wasted time and devotion. A religion is a construct built on a foundation of beliefs. If those beliefs are wrong, it doesn't matter how nice the memebers of that religion are, you are devoting your time and devotion to a lie.

When that religion imposes a set of restrictions that make you different and segregate from the rest of society, and in addition some the rules could cost you your life, it's foundation had better be firmly based on truth.

The JW-cult is NOT based on truth. It has been proven to be a fabrication of lies and deciet and imposes restrictive rules that can result in a loss of life. To die for a pack of lies is indeed a waste of life.

• LittleSister
    LittleSister

Hi In

I think you need to take some time to think about yourself and stop worrying about others for now.

You need to figure out what you believe and look for the evidence to support those beliefs.

I don't remember scriptures well, but I am sure in Revelation Jesus praise one congregation for checking and testing that they truly had the right faith. Surely it would be wise to follow their example. To do this you will need to be prepared to look at all the evidence not just WT publications and leavingWT has highlighted some good places to start.

I was genuinely shocked at what I found out, but it did help me make a firm choice rather than sitting on the fence.

Yes some who have left the Org have a lot of anger and may say nasty things, but please understand that they have often had very bad experiences that will take a long time to recover from if ever. When you have read more you may be able to better empathise with them or at least understand how they feel.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

You need to figure out what you believe and look for the evidence to support those beliefs.

No, no, no. Don't ever let anyone talk you into doing that. It doesn't work. If you just happen to believe a load of crap, you might be stuck with it forever.

Learn how to think for yourself. It will benefit your life much more than practicing being a puppet for a bunch of old farts in Brooklyn.

Welcome to the forum.

Cheers

Chris

• yknot
    yknot

'In' and others on the 'fence'.......

I too am 'in' but I am not on the fence whatsoever..........why?

Because I took the time to research our belief system's history......and using only WTS publications! (Please note control command in Sept 2007 KM QB)

I learned sooooooo much!

Make a point to ask yourself to list what you think makes the WTS the 'one' because that is their claim.....(heck make it a thread too!)

Ask yourself to discern the differences between doctrine (undisputed agreement of biblical 'truths' taught by all Xian denominations) interpretation, policy and your comfort feelings of traditon or routine.

Keep seeking whole truth.......

• Chalam
    Chalam

Welcome in In!!!

I think if you take a close look, you will see that behind the facade JWs are little different to "worldly people". It is all about keeping up appearances.

As Jesus said

Matthew 23:26 (New International Version)

26 Blind Pharisee! First clean the inside of the cup and dish, and then the outside also will be clean.

The only thing that counts is new creation Galatians 6:15

2 Corinthians 5:17 (New International Version)

17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!

John 3:5-7 (New International Version)

5 Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. 6 Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. 7 You should not be surprised at my saying, 'You must be born again.'

LWT:Even better, the Book of Galatians ?

Amen! What's going on LWT? You will be quoting from Galatians before you know it :)

Blessings all round,

Stephen

• moshe
    moshe
    -Long time ago I interviewed for a job via a rather strange psychological test.

I had a favorite question on the MMPI test that I took numerous times in the 80's for Nuclear powerplant refuel jobs- it was:

"compared to my friends, I don't have many mental problems" - that question really bugged me- I knew the answer had to be true, as it was better to admit you had mentally ill friends than to be sick yourself. But the fact is any JW who buys the WT program is a candidate for the looney bin after 30 years of participtaing in the WT coverups, witch hunts for unbelievers, shunning of ex-members and rewrites of WT history. I recalimed my sanity when I left the KH and reclaimed the right to believe what my own senses told me was the, "truth", Good luck, In.

If God created the finite world and he exercises power over his finite creation, then logically that makes God part of the finite realm, too. But this is a contradiction as God has to be over and be the infinite at the same time. The facts before us seem to show that their is no personal god who is personally invovled with the affairs of men- good and bad, JW and non-JW, they were all killed together in the Haiti earthquake. Religion is just man's attempt to find the univeral law of morality, but you don't need religion to be a moral person. Have a good life.

• donny
    donny

What was the actual statement in the Watchtower regarding the no question policy?

Donny

• LittleSister
    LittleSister

Black Sheep

I think you misunderstood my point.

I was talking about the concept Jesus spoke of testing "whether you are in the correct faith" so to speak by examining your beliefs and seeing if they hold up under scrutiny, which is part of learning to think for oneself.

I also recommended looking at non WT publications to get a more balanced view point on matters. I certainly was not suggesting anyone should blindly follow JW teachings.

Personally I don't believe any one faith has it right.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I think the WT referred to might be the 11/15/09 article "Treasure Your Place in the Congregation" (apologies for the flaky font stuff going on)

One way to find our place in the congregation and give evidence that we treasure it is to cooperate fully with “the faithful and discreet slave” and its representative Governing Body. (ReadMatthew24:45-47.) We need to examine our response to the direction we receive from the slave class. Over the years, for example, we have received pointed direction on dress and grooming, entertainment, and improper use of the Internet. Do we carefully heed this good counsel so that we are spiritually protected? What about the admonition to establish a regular routine of family worship? Have we taken the advice to heart and set aside an evening for that purpose? If we are single, are we making time for personal study of the Scriptures? Jehovah will bless us individually and as families if we follow the guidance of the slave class.

Some might reason that areas such as entertainment and dress and grooming are personal matters. For the dedicated Christian who cherishes his place in the congregation, though, personal preferences should not be the sole determining factor when making decisions. Consideration must especially be given to Jehovah’s viewpoint as revealed through his Word, the Bible. Its message should prove to be ‘a lamp to our foot, and a light to our roadway.’ (Ps. 119:105) We are wise also to consider how the choices we make in personal matters affect our ministry and other people, both inside and outside the congregation.—Read2 Corinthians6:3, 4.

“The spirit that now operates in the sons of disobedience” is so widespread that it is like the air we breathe. (Eph. 2:2) That spirit can cause us to think that we do not need guidance from Jehovah’s organization. Surely we do not want to be like Diotrephes, who would not ‘receive anything from the apostle John with respect.’ (3 John 9, 10) We need to guard against developing a spirit of independence. By word or action, may we never challenge the channel of communication that Jehovah is using today. (Num. 16:1-3) On the contrary, we should cherish our privilege to cooperate with

the slave class. And should we not strive to be obedient and submissive to those taking the lead in our local congregation?—ReadHebrews13:7, 17.

Another way to show that we cherish our place in the congregation is by closely examining our personal circumstances and doing all we can to ‘glorify our ministry’ and bring honor to Jehovah. (Rom. 11:13) Some are able to be regular pioneers. Others serve in such special forms of full-time service as missionaries, traveling overseers, and members of Bethel families throughout the world. Many brothers and sisters assist with Kingdom Hall construction. The great majority of Jehovah’s people are doing their best to care for the spiritual needs of their families and have a full share in the ministry each week. (ReadColossians3:23, 24.) We can be confident that when we offer ourselves willingly in God’s service and do our best to serve him whole-souled, there is always a place for us in his arrangement."

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Yes its a good thing to be a physical and mental slave to some ignorant corrupt men, its a path that all should take.

Being a servant to fraudulent religious charlatans is a good thing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit