What I'm Going to Do About Climate Change!

by frankiespeakin 33 Replies latest jw friends

• rebel8
    rebel8

I don't think individuals can have much of an impact, but don't we have an ethical responsibility to try not to kill (future) people and animals unneccessarily?

I take reasonable steps to keep my footprint light. I don't go crazy about it--I had enough of fruitless orthodoxy when I was a dub--but I just try to do the right thing in my own life, for its own sake.

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

Last year we had way too much snow at this time. This year the Olympic Committee is having to helicopter in snow. It's all gon and they have to fill the area with straw.

Last July 29, 2009, Vancouver had the hottest day ever in recorded history.

Perhaps nothing can be done, but don't we all deserve clean, balanced air to breath? And what's up with endless dalays in bringing out fuel effecient cars, like the Volt? Wh are we stuck with fossil fueled cars in the 21st century? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. BIG oil?

• Mad Dawg
    Mad Dawg

So Villa,

Please tell how you plan to usher in the New Utopia?

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Rebel,

I don't think individuals can have much of an impact, but don't we have an ethical responsibility to
    try not to kill (future) people and animals unneccessarily?

Well that is one thing I debate with myself about namely "ethical responsibility". I am more of a law unto myself type I follow no man's code unless I have to but I do have my own ethics that are evolving all the time with new data and thought.

And since we are evolved meat eaters and for millions of years hunter gatherers that have a history of killings both animals and our own species right up to the present I would say yes we have some sort of "ethical responsibility" that is still evolving and with lots of qualifiers.

Human & animal compassion is something that is growing in our species just take a look at bible times and our day big difference. Perhaps this is some sort of survival trait adaption that may win out over our more exploiting nature or the combination of the two balancing out each other that may win out and save us from ourselves time will only tell but I have a feeling we have a precarious road ahead of us regardless.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit