The Watchtower Society: aka "The Dream Killers"

by JimmyPage 28 Replies latest jw friends

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Do you have talent as a musician? How much better would it be if you focused on pioneering!

Are you artistic? Why not spend the remaining last days of this system in the preaching work?

Are your grades good enough to get you into college? Why not use those smarts to teach others the truth about our God Jehovah?

Do you like to dance? You should knock on doors instead. Sing? Forget about it. Pioneer!

Every dream you've ever had should be seen for what it is- a dream! Who wants to live in a dream world?

The reality that Christ has been enthroned since 1914 should move all of us to do more, more, more!

Remember... in The New System you'll be able to sing, dance, draw, play piano, and pet all the animals you want! You have Forever!

And there's a life story for all of these forgotten dreams in the bound volumes of the Awake! magazine. How happifying indeed!

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

That's the sort of thing that makes me more upset than anything. I let them take control of where I was going in life. It feels bad...I know I could have had it worse, but it still stings...

Heck, that whole "Young People Ask: What Will I Do With My Life?" is a dream-killer!

• wantarevolution
    wantarevolution

I tend to think of them more as the "dream putter offer". I've lost count of the number of "experiences" at assemblies, watchtowers etc where the person was "Well i really wanted to do (insert nice, valid honest dream) however, there'll be plenty of time for that in the newsystem, for now I'm just going to waste my time and be a martyr for a publishing company pioneer"

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They are getting even worse. In the past few years, they have compared college to shooting oneself in the head. They have threatened to remove any "privileges" from any parents whose children are in college unless they do everything they can to remove them from college. Instead, they are supposed to be going out in field circus as pio-sneers.

And they don't get to do science independently. People without college can and do (and have) succeeded in life--many scientists do their work independently instead of relying on colleges. Billy Joel and Kenny Loggins have had big hit albums, and both are high school dropouts (let alone, did they go to college). However, a witless trying this would be hounded instead to do more field circus. Develop nuclear fusion, or some unheard-of but speculated technology? You are better off in field circus; the world can do without oscillating gravity based communications systems and infinite energy sources. Develop your singing talent? Better use it to sing Kingdumb maladies; the world doesn't need another Thriller- or Rumours quality album.

Today, we know Galileo as one that developed the theories that allowed mankind to reach space. We know Newton as the one that gave us the science of spectromaty and being able to predict where planets would be at any time (so we can go there). We know Edison as the one that gave us many products, including the light bulb and phonograph. Bell is the one that gave us the technology to communicate via electrical signals. Einstein is the one upon which nuclear fusion is founded. Now, who is going to remember the ones that give up science careers to pio-sneer 200 years from now?

Music, we also have famous composers. Mozart and Beethoven are two of the most famous classical composers. Suppose they had given up music in favor of pio-sneering. Would we know about them today? And, how have they influenced modern music? For sure, no one would be listening to Mozart's rendition of the 225 135 songs the witlesses are supposed to listen to, especially if the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger bans independent recordings and performances of these songs.

• HappyGuy
    HappyGuy

I sing. Many people who have heard me think I am very talented. I studied opera with a well known opera singer, she thought I was talented. I didn't study opera until the age of 44. I became a JW at the age of 15. EVERY year book pounded it into your head through their ridiculous "life stories", which I learned later are mostly made up lies, that to serve god you have to give up whatever talents you have and be a janitor.

I HATE the WTBTS and the governing body. I didn't start singing professionally until I was 46. All those years my love of music was stifled. And for what?

• designs
    designs

Larry Graham gave a talk at the KH I attended years ago, that guy has a fabulous voice. Our families sat together, during the song I just lip-synced

• dissed
    dissed

I lost the opportunity for free aid on a college scholarship because I chased the JW pipe dream.

The end was coming, it was 1972. Me and several other friends gave up on the chance to play college ball, (getting a free education) One freind actually quit a promising career at New Mexico St, because the end was so ever close.

• poppers
    poppers

It's ironic how they pretty much force people to abandon their dreams in exchange for what amounts to a WT dream, which often turns into a nightmare that people can't escape. If you've ever had a lucid dream you know the freedom you feel, but you can't convince others in the dream that they are dreaming as well. I see a parallel in the WT world "dream" that they concoct; when someone wakes up within it and tells the other characters they are caught in WT created dream they are accused of apostacy. Questioning one's religion is taboo for far too many people, and especially so for the high control variety.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

This is one of the biggest crimes I think the WTS commits against it's members .

As a child I remember every aspiration I had being squashed with "this world is ending you just need to focus on the preaching work ". In middle school I loved art and was beginning to show some talent ,however every time I was excited about a project my Mom would never encourage only critizise it .

When I won a city wide contest she refused to praise my effort . I had to ask my Art teacher whether or not I should keep pursuing art in High School because there was no encouragement from home other than take Spanish it could be beneficial in the preaching work .

In High School I was an Honor student and Teachers were always leading me towards College ,but at home that was never even considered . My worldly Grandfather even told me he would pay for me to attend College ,but by my Senior year I had become capitive to the "end is coming"belief, and all I wanted to do is get married and be able to have sex ,and maybe have a baby before the "end came" because I never felt I would survive .

As an adult I spoke with a mental health professional about my bouts of depression and one thing stood out to me in the discussion . He asked "What dreams for your future have you had ?" I had NONE ..... It really sunk in then to me that I never had a dream ,because nothing my whole life was acceptable than what the WTS said should be our future .

After that I just hated it at every assembly we would hear of young ones giving up college scholarships to pioneer "the real life " HA ......I knew better and it made me sick ...

• Sour Grapes
    Sour Grapes

I was accepted to go to a medical school but then the elders

told me that I was waisting my time. Why would I want to

enter a profession that will not be needed in a few more years.

That was 45 years ago.

Sour Grapes

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit