A question for Christians

by paul from cleveland 47 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Diamon,

Jesus was a sacrifice for all time and through Christ you have the foregiveness which you wouldn't have otherwise.

And it is now 2000 years latter, and all Christians can do is claim it's a sacrifice for forgiveness for sins with no tangible evidence besides they feel forgiveness. A "feeling" is the only proof. Nothing else! or as they say you have to be "born again" and share the feeling I feel to know in your heart. Sounds like wishful thinking turned into positive proof from a feeling only they have and nobody else has that doesn't feel the same way.

Not very convincing! A much better explanation in my mind would be that this feeling is generated by a desire indoctrinated in them from religious up bringing or wishful thinking turned fact by repeated indoctrination sessions and uncritical thinking.

• littlebird
    littlebird

Hello Frankie,

I do believe he has more components than just "love" and he does say in scripture that "Vengence is Mine", so therefore, I do believe that is one of his traits.

I believe as our Creator that he does have the right to have expectations of us and one of those is accepting his son. It has nothing to do with fear, I want to worship him.

As to whether or not an individual is evil or not, is not for me to say. Scripture seems to indicate so, but as for myself, I don't know. If Christians are correct, that Jesus was the sacrifice for sins, then belief in that sacrifice is the only way to benefit from it.

I'm not here to debate whether Christianity is right or wrong. Paul asked about sin from a Christian perspective, that's all I'm attempting to answer. The scripture he used in Hebrews doesnt apply if he believed in Christ. As far as I know, he (or whoever) can whack til it falls off and Christ will still love him.

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland
    As far as I know, he (or whoever) can whack til it falls off and Christ will still love him.

Please! I didn't start this thread because I feel guilty about masterbation! I just used it as an example. (really)

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

Frankie:

My reply was towards what Christianity teaches, it has nothing to do whether God or Jesus existed nor does it had to do with anything whether religion is a simple fantasy taught through the ages. These conclusion one arrives at some point in their life, be it for or against the belief in God but at this point Paul still believes and that's his choice. Argueing God/evolution is like asking how god didn't have the beginning and how is that possible, well same can be argued where did all the energy come from that cause the big bang and/or what was there before - we simply don't know for certain. There are things we can't answer but we end up deciding for ourselves what we will believe in or won't believe in. With hopefully some unbiased research as to whether believing in God, evolution or aliens or a combination of these we can base our belief system on something that satisfies us personally. If Paul's question was partaining to Islam I couldn't make a comment since I wouldn't have a clue to their teachings.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Understood, Paul. But a lot of us realize that organized religion tries to control people by exploiting private thoughts and normal, harmless, behaviour like masturbation . The entire Christian dogma is based on the leverage of guilt even if the guilt is just being "born of Adam". My advice is to wise up to the "Jesus" myth and get on with living the life before you.

My previous remark was intended to lighten up your concern and was not meant to be "snide" as Mouthy said.

• Piercingtheveil81
    Piercingtheveil81

Hello Paul,

Since almost everyone has pretty much given a christian answer I'll give you an islamic prespective, which also seems to coincide with the Jewish viewpoint as well.

We (muslims) believe first and foremost that God (Allah) is the Most Gracious and Most Merciful. Unlike Christianity we do not believe that mankind has fallen into the dilemma of original sin. Adam's sin has nothing to do with it. We were created with freewill and, different from other creation, we have the ability to choose good or bad, otherwise we would be robots. To think that God created Adam believing he would be perfect forever is illogical. Any creature with free will someday will pick or choose what he wants, not necessarily what God wants. Despite that, God is willing to forgive and pardon sin when we recognize our error and repent, and He allows us to do that by covering over the bad deeds with good ones. When we repent we do not have to go to others to confess but seek God in prayer personally without intermediaries or exposing ourselves publicly.

Allah says: “Say: O my Servants who have transgressed against their souls! Despair not of the Mercy of Allah: for Allah forgives all sins: for He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.” [Sûrah al-Zumar: 53]

Allah says: “Unless he repents, believes, and works righteous deeds, for Allah will change the evil of such persons into good, and Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful,” [Sûrah al-Furqân: 70]

Allah says “If you shun the most heinous sins which you are forbidden, We will do away with your small sins and admit you to a gate of great honor.” [Sûrah al-Nisâ’: 31]

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Paul if your "friend" doesn't leave that thing alone he's going straight to hell! And blind as well!

• Chalam
    Chalam

Cool thread. Great posts ynot!

Paul, here's some more verses which should speak to you on the matter of being born again.

2 Corinthians 5:17 (New International Version)

17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!

Galatians 6:15 (New International Version)

15 Neither circumcision nor uncircumcision means anything; what counts is a new creation.

1 Peter 1:23 (New International Version)

23 For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God.

James 1:18 (New International Version)

18 He chose to give us birth through the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of all he created.

Blessings,

Stephen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit