A question for Christians

by paul from cleveland 47 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• garyneal
    garyneal

I've been reading through the Bible doing that whole Bible in a year thing. I just finished Genesis and am starting through Exodus now. I look at the faithful men of old and I notice that they are far from perfect and yet God loved them anyway. I understand the Bible is full of characters who do things that displease God and yet God approves of them anyway. This is not a permission to sin, but it is certainly encouraging to know that we need to 'get everything perfect' in our lives to win God's approval.

Hopefully, I will be able to make it all the way through the Bible by the end of this year. If so, it will be the first time I ever read it cover to cover. Even still, the fact that I am doing this does not make me a 'better Christian' than I was before.

As I hear it put so often, not perfect, just forgiven.

• garyneal
    garyneal
    As someone once asked 'am I going to die because I masterbated one to many times'?.

So how many times do you have to masturbate before you're deamed dead?

David was an adulterer and a murderer and yet he was forgiven.

Moses killed an egyptian and yet God used him.

Saul was a murderer and he too was forgiven and became the apostle Paul.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

I'm not a Chirstian but I played one on TV.

Sylvia gets it in one. As usual.

God's grace is as inexplicable to most of us as how life got started.

I think the point is to become mature enough to recognize what is wrong, and to not consciously choose what you nkow to be wrong.

The other part is not be so immature as to think you know what is wrong for someone else.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    I'm not a Chirstian but I played one on TV.

Great one-liner - almost as good as Ninja's.

God's grace is as inexplicable to most of us as how life got started.

Amen.

Unfathomable.

Sylvia

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Paul,

Do you believe in a literal, fiery Hell or have you retained the Annihilationism views of Watchtower?

It seems to me that one of these beliefs would provide a little more anxiety than the other.

-LWT

• John Doe
    John Doe

Why not ask a child how he knows if his teeth are white enough for the tooth fair to buy?

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Why not ask a child how he knows if his teeth are white enough for the tooth fair to buy?

From Wiki Answers:

Q: Is the Tooth Fair real?

no He Isen't

Sorry, Paul in Cleveland, I couldn't resist!

Tee hee hee.

Sylvia

ADT® Official Site
    Buy an ADT system and get 24/7 monitoring as low as $1 per day.
    www.ADT.com/Family
    Ads by Google [Improve]

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi LWT,

Please forgive me for jumping in!

It seems to me that one of these beliefs would provide a little more anxiety than the other.

Wouldn't that be "infinitely more anxiety"?

Did you see the TBN Christmas Comedy that was posted in a thread recently? The exJW crack addict thoughts when he had his gun pointed at his head recalled, "I though, I just won't be resurrected, because that is what I was taught". That is about as biblical as the other WT teachings Acts 24:15 Daniel 12:2

Anyhow, I am not a "fire and brimstone" preacher but I won't deny the second death and Lake of Fire either.

As my dad said, people come in to the Kingdom for different reasons. My initial movement was a "stick" but what brought me in was the "carrot".

God is loving but also just, carrot and stick. Justice does not leave sin unpunished, that is not love. God has made a way for all that punishment to be taken on Jesus. We just have to ask and believe Jesus to do it.

John 3:16-18 (New International Version)

16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. 18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son.

Footnotes:

1. John 3:16 Or his only begotten Son
    2. John 3:18 Or God's only begotten Son

Bold type added for those who think "jehovah" is the name by which to be saved Acts 4:12 Romans 10 Acts 2

Blessings,

Stephen

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Chalam,

Wouldn't that be "infinitely more anxiety"?

Correct! Good point.

-LWT

• Inkie
    Inkie

Dear Paul:

Jesus said to 'go your way and sin no more'

In reading the biblical context of Jesus’ statement, you will note that he was talking to a woman who had been caught in the very act of adultery. No one who wanted to condemn and stone did so because none of them was without sin. They all left the scene. Jesus then asked the woman, ‘did no one condemn you’? She said, ‘no, not one.’ He then said, ‘Then neither do I condemn you. Go your way and sin no more.’ Thus, in the context of this narrative, Jesus was not talking about being sinless, he was talking about going one’s way and striving not to commit a similar sexual sin. But note, he did not condemn her for committing a sexual sin.

and the bible also says not to 'use the grace of God as an excuse to sin'.

Yes, the Bible does state this. What’s so hard to understand about this statement? It seems a “given,” yes?

However the bible also says that 'all sin and fall short of the glory of God'.

Yes, the Bible also states this. So . . . what’s your point? Simply put, ALL have sinned. Jesus himself stated that one of the reasons he came was to ‘call sinners’—not the righteous.

This means that we can only partially obey the commandment to be sinless.

There is absolutely no command in scripture (or the Bible for that matter) which states that we must be sinless. Where did you get that? The Bible admonishes us to try hard not to sin but nowhere does it state that we must be sinless. On the contrary, the apostle John writes that IF we sin, we have a Help with the Father, a righteous one. Paul, we are going to sin—we are sinners. But we should strive to do our best not to sin. But we have a Helper.

This fills me with as much anxiety that I had while being a Witness.

Let go of the anxiety. Jesus stated: “Do not be anxious.” Pretty clear cut, yes? “Do not be anxious over anything.”

How can I know if I'm being "good enough" for God?

Jesus made the statement that ‘no one is good except God.’ That being said, you, nor I, nor any other human being can be ‘good enough.’ Paul, where do you get this kind of thinking?

Since I can't be sinless, there must be some arbitrary cut-off point where I'm just not good enough.

True—you cannot be sinless. Deal with it. You will never be good enough. It is Jah and His Son who are good and because they are good, they fill the gap so that you can receive their loving-kindness and mercies and love and life and salvation, etc., etc., etc. They do it for you.

There's got to be a point when I've just committed one to many sins.

It is stated in the Bible that the ‘wages of sin is death.’ There is no such thing as ‘one to many sins.’ Adam and Eve committed only one sin initially which caused them to have to pay the price for that one sin—death.

As someone once asked 'am I going to die because I masterbated one to many times'?.

If you have masturbated even just one time (and if masturbation is a sin), then you have to pay the price—death. It is not about ‘ONE TO MANY TIMES.’ That’s it, that’s all.

You are forgetting the most important thing: Jah is a God of love, merciful and abundant in loving-kindness. That is why he sent his Son, to reconcile us to Him. You are being called. Come to me (Christ), Christ says. He is the resurrection and the life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit