did you like being called "brother" or "sister"?

by highdose 28 Replies latest jw friends

• highdose
    highdose

i always found it very patronising, particulay as most of the jw's who did that treated me very badly and not like a sister at all!

I also hated when brothers would say " i've met a lovely sister and i'm planning to marry her!" sounds so incestuous! I remember a former jw boyfreind telling me " your such an adorable sister!... and i like your boobs alot!"

please(!)

• asilentone
    asilentone

you must be hot. No, I did not like to be called Brother.

• brizzzy
    brizzzy

I knew a P.O. who ONLY addressed his wife as "Sister". Not by her first name, not by "honey" or "sweetie" or anything endearing like that. There would be a gathering for lunch or something and he'd turn to his wife and go "Sister, would you please grab me a lemonade?" or something similar. It always skeeved me out soooo much. It was incredibly demeaning and just uck.

(Oh, and I HATED being called "sister").

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    I remember a former jw boyfreind telling me " your such an adorable sister!... and i like your boobs alot!"

So what's the problem?

No, I didn't particularly care for it, myself. It made the religion seem that much more cultish.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I did at first - made me feel accepted and special.

Then, a non-baptized JW saw me at work and yelled, "Hey, Sister Sylvia!"

All heads swerved in my direction.

It was embarrassing!

Sylvia

• highdose
    highdose

yes sister syliva! its like a big sign saying " we are part of a werid cult!"

""remember a former jw boyfreind telling me " your such an adorable sister!... and i like your boobs alot!""...well maybe i should have replied... " yes i like your butt... its the only part of you with any flesh on it!" ( typical skelton,skin and bones jw)

• blondie
    blondie

I am a union officer now and they call each other "brother" and "sister" which I find disconcerting. I have encountered other religions that call each other brother and sister, it is not unique to jws.

I believe Islam using these terms

Independent Baptists

Mormons (LDS)

Pentecostals

etc.

• startingovernow
    startingovernow

At first, I liked it because I was the only one at meetings that was called by their first name when commenting. Even unbaptized JW children were called brother and sister, but I was reminded I was a worldly outsider everytime my name was called. When I got married, I not only lost my first name, but was then called Sister [my husband's last name]. I really had an identity crisis. Then towards the end, I realized that some elders would greet me by saying "hello sister" because not only did they not bother to remember my first name, but didn't even bother to remember and use my last name.

I knew a P.O. who ONLY addressed his wife as "Sister". Not by her first name, not by "honey" or "sweetie" or anything endearing like that. There would be a gathering for lunch or something and he'd turn to his wife and go "Sister, would you please grab me a lemonade?" or something similar.

That grosses me out as much as men calling their wives "Mother."

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

I felt it was too official sounding. I was glad to get on a first-name basis with the cooler adults.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    " your such an adorable sister!... and i like your boobs alot!"

No one ever said that to me. I'm jealous.

W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit