I just did the unthinkable - I gave blood

by Magwitch 18 Replies latest jw friends

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

A few years back, A Witness asked me how much I got paid when I donate.

Stupid ignorant individual. I reminded him that it's called a donation for a reason.

Donation #48 coming up Friday. A donation can save up to 3 lives, plus it forces the body to create fresh, contamination reduced blood.

I'd say a good deal all around.

• Scully
    Scully

It's great being a blood donor! Congratulations!

• Scully
    Scully

wobble:

Can you think of something else "unthinkable" for me to do ? I have always loved to be outrageous !

How about volunteering at a local soup kitchen or food bank? Then you'd see how many JWs *quietly* take advantage of these services, whilst never lifting a finger to support them....

• chickpea
    chickpea

there's nothing like that first one!!!

here's to your gallon pin upcoming!!

c/p

• brizzzy
    brizzzy

I'm visiting the UK at the moment and the bed and breakfast I was staying at in Scotland served me blood pudding one morning (the owners had found out in a conversation that I was a former JW, and I think they were curious to see how I'd react).

It was like overcoming the final hurdle, haha. I think the last vestige of JW-ness in me wanted to upchuck it a bit, but once I got through the first couple of bites I realized it actually tasted pretty good!

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

Way to go, Magwitch! Thank you for helping save lives.

GLT

• cantleave
    cantleave

Waayhay!! Good on you. Donating is on my list of things to do in 2010, along with voting in the General election, celebrating our birthdays and other festivals.

• freydo
    freydo

Mine is rare. I'd be happy to sell it.

• frogit
    frogit

Well done Magwitch I have given blood many time now to the NHS Blood and Transplant (England) each time I'm so pleased that I could be helping someone else.

You have to fill in a In depth questionnaire and have a short interview with a nurse before you can donate, some questions are very personal. On two occasions I have not been allowed to donate, once due to travelling and taking anti malaria tablets, six months grace was enforced, I was honest which all should be, if you are not sure about anything talk it out with the nurse on hand.

The safety of the blood supply is really important and is taken seriously. Only 4% donate blood here, so plenty more could.

I normally feel OK after donating but the last time December I did feel a little weak, not sure why as I usually feel very good. The proof: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whosphoto/4109519106/

frogit

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit