Haiti - why?

by Gorbatchov 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

This evening i'm watching the news channels. I was crying when i saw the news about Haiti.

I can not understand if there is a higher power (Jehovah / Jesus) that this can happen. If there is loving God, why this poor people have to suffer so much? Why to die this way? Elderly, children, the poor, it is a big mess. Why why why o God? I'm crying.

Gorbatchov / Mark

The Netherlands

• snowbird
    snowbird

(((((((Gorbatchov/Mark)))))))

Sylvia

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

This is how the earth has worked for millennia.

We are part of it and suffer or benefit accordingly.

If ants could ask the same question, they would demand to know why a loving God could permit anteaters.

You kill microbes every day when you pour disintfectant down the toilet. Why should they die?

it is as it is. No point getting all het up at a Sky Fairy.

Shit happens. All the time.

HB

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Saying that , I too wept when I thought of all the suffering.

We are humans with a natural affection and instinct to help and love others. It is what makes us so unique.

It is what makes us special. If only we could recognise how great we are as a species, instead of doing ourselves down.

No other creature on the planet, goes out of its way to help the children of others, even other species from EMOTION.

HB

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

it is heart rending to watch these reports and feel helpless... I do not wish to sound dismissive, but hamsterbait has a point . Bad things do happen , that is a fact . Why do we search for a reason, where no reason exists. The Earth is unstable, men build homes in areas prone to quakes , so when the next quake comes...............We ask why?????????

• villabolo
    villabolo

Hamsterbait beat me to it. I will add the following thoughts though. It is the concrete buildings they/we live in which makes earthquakes dangerous. If people still lived in teepees, huts or tents (even modern, house size versions of tents) they would not suffer from earthquakes. Indeed, (no disrespect intended) they may actually be a fun diversion from the ordinary day to day routine.

villabolo

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I feel for those people and it breaks my heart that people had to die because of shoddy constructed buildings. I was in San Francisco on the fourth floor of Britex Fabrics on Union Square when the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake hit. It was a 7.0 quake just like the Haiti quake. People died (69) but not on the scale of Haiti. I hope that the rebuilding of Haiti will include more stable building measures.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

As humans we have come to live "outside" of nature and sometimes we pay the price for that, look at all the homes and building in LA and San Fran, so close to tha San Andeas fault.

Living by the beach is wonderful and beautiful untill hurricanes came around, this is nature and has been since before man came around.

There is nothing we cna do excpet work on early detection and have much better evac and disaster recovery plans.

Living in harmony with our environment wouldn't hurt either.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

The fact that we feel pain and anguish and sorrow for people we don't know or even really care about, shows us how unique humans are.

The fact that we do somethign about it also, shows how great our potential is too.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I don't believe God acts in the world in any supernatural way. When/if he acts, it is through us who were created in his image and possess his breath of life. I think Heinlein's character Valentine Michael Smith had it pretty close to right: "Thou art god."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit