What Haiti has meant to me

by PSacramento 26 Replies latest jw friends

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

First off, to see the amazing work being done in Haiti by all those recusers and doctors and volunteers and soldiers, juts makes me proud to be human and makes me wish I could do more...

The Haiti situation has caused me much concern and grief, it has brought up old doubts and issues I have had for a long time with God.

This is not about eartquakes and hurricanes or any natural event that accures because it has to, it is not even about the diasters that MAY be part of these events.

Its about the very nature of God and the crucial question of WHY God doesn't do something and that question leads us to one that I have thought about for a great deal of time, is God Omnipotent? is God ALL powerful?

I don't think God is.

I believe in a loving and caring and compassionte Father in Heaven, My God is My Father, a beloved and loving parent and as such, how do I reconcile God NOT doing something when he certianly CAN do it?

Well, I don't I have to admit that I can't.

I am a lowly human and if I had the power to help, I would and I CAN'T be morally or responsibly superiour to God, he is THE creator ( the action of creation) and if I can't be morally superiour then God SHOULD help.

Scenario:

Your child is stuck under rubble and the rubble is crushing her/him and you CAN help, what do you do?

You help, period. You don't just stand by and hear your child crying and calling for help as they are crushed alive.

SO, if I as a lowly human WOULD help and KNOW it is RIGHT to help, then doesn't God know that?

Of course he can, he must for I can't know more than God.

So why doesn't God help?

Because I don't think he can.

No, I don't believe in an Omnipotent God, I believe in a very powerful God that works through US and that loves us but that is "impotent" in the face of the very world he created.

I agree with what another poster said, I don't see God as a "magical genie", he didn't create the world by snapping his fingers, he created the world by puting in motion the events of creation and while he certainly was inlvolved in it, God was still a "slave" to the very laws of creation he made.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

The omnipotent thing has been in my mind for some time, I recall reading the omnipotent "paradox", or whatever it was called:

Can God create a rock so heavy that God can't lift it?

If he can't, then he is not all powerful, if he can lift it then he is not all powerful either.

I am beginning to view God as a God of immense power and love, perhaps love being his most amazing of Powers, but I am losing "faith" in an all powerful God that CAN solve all our problems and at best all he can do is give us the strength to deal with them.

I just don't know...

• bohm
    bohm

PSacramento: Indeed. 'omnipotent-loving-God' -- it seems hard to keep all 3 and stll make sence of the world.

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

I just don't know...

Is it that you don't know or don't want to accept what you know?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Can God create a rock so heavy that God can't lift it?

Maybe God is bound by natural logic when it comes to natural things. There are several ways you can define omnipotence.

Check your PM, PSAC

BTS

• snowbird
    snowbird

I say let's just continue to do good to any and all; God will sort out the rest.

We humans need to be changed from the inside out, and no amount of aid can accomplish that.

Isn't it amazing that peacekeeping forces have to be deployed there?

You would think that after such a horrendous thing, pillaging would be the last thing on a person's mind.

Yet, thugs and hooligans are running through the streets armed with machetes!

What in the world ???????

Sylvia

• bohm
    bohm

This explanation also makes much more sence when you look at the amount of 'funky' stuff in the bible. God has tried to give a proper rendering of his thought and ideas (forgive, do unto others..), but various accidents made a lot of stuff from other religions creep into it (the gilgamesh epic--> the ark).

• Gregor
    Gregor

You are asking the right questions, PSac. You seem to be going through the same thought processes I did many years ago after awakening to the lies of the WT Society. Instead of jumping straight into standard Christian beliefs, I started to meditate on the very things you have mentioned above. You are trying to make sense of God. I suggest you leave the door open to the concept that God is an 'invention' of man and does not exist in reality. Answers that accept this possibilty will start falling into place.

Best to you in your pursuit.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

You would think that after such a horrendous thing, pillaging would be the last thing on a person's mind.

Yet, thugs and hooligans are running through the streets armed with machetes!

The true human natures, both good and bad, comes out in people in these times. These times strip off the illusions and make the saints and the devils apparent.

....his work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire

and

For there is nothing hidden that will not be disclosed, and nothing concealed that will not be known or brought out into the open.

BTS

• snowbird
    snowbird

That is so true, Burn.

Down here, the churches are mobilizing, people are reaching deep into their pockets to share what little they have.

This warms my heart.

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit