Quick, easy way to get started helping Haiti

by SixofNine 17 Replies latest jw friends

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

...and it's looking like they're going to need a lot of help.

http://blogs.state.gov/index.php/site/entry/disaster_haiti

For those interesting in helping immediately, simply text "HAITI" to "90999" and a donation of $10 will be given automatically to the Red Cross to help with relief efforts, charged to your cell phone bill.

Or you can go online to organizations like the Red Cross and Mercy Corps Mercy Corps to make a contribution to the disaster relief efforts.

The State Department Operations Center has set up the following number for Americans seeking information about family members in Haiti: 1-888-407-4747. We'll provide more details and opportunities to help as we learn more. To stay up-to-date, follow us on state.gov.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

thanks six

• MsDucky
    MsDucky

Thanks for the info. I just made a donation to: Thank you for your gift of $25.00 to the International Response Fund. It's the American Red Cross.

I was going to make a challenge; but it's Sixes's post.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I shall be going by the Red Cross this here pm.

Sylvia

• purplesofa
  • zoiks
    zoiks

Thanks for the info, six

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

bttt

I just contributed from the way six posted.

It's easy and you can do it as many times as you want to.

thanks for posting

purps

edited to add: Please, for the children.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Make your check out to the "Watchtower" and they will take care of it for you.

Rub a Dub

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Rescue dogs are seen in their enclosure before leaving for Haiti at the Torrejon military airbase in Torrejon de Ardoz, Spain, Wednesday Jan. 13, 2010. Firefights without Borders, the International Red Cross and other aid groups said they are preparing a major disaster relief effort in Haiti after a powerful earthquake struck the capital.
    (AP Photo/Daniel Ochoa de Olza)

Spanish firefighters with rescue dogs wait to board their flight at Barajas international airport in Madrid, Wednesday Jan. 13, 2010. Firefights without Borders, the international Red Cross and other aid groups say they are preparing a major disaster relief effort in Haiti after a powerful earthquake struck the capital.
    (AP Photo/Paul White)

A rescue dog is seen in its enclosure before leaving for Haiti at the Torrejon military airbase in Torrejon de Ardoz, Spain, Wednesday, Jan. 13, 2010. Firefights without Borders, the International Red Cross and other aid groups said they are preparing a major disaster relief effort in Haiti after a powerful earthquake struck the capital.
    (AP Photo/Daniel Ochoa de Olza)

A Spanish firefighter gives water to a rescue dog before leaving for Haiti, at Barajas international airport in Madrid, Wednesday Jan. 13, 2010. Firefights without Borders, the international Red Cross and other aid groups say they are preparing a major disaster relief effort in Haiti after a powerful earthquake struck the capital.
    (AP Photo/Paul White)

Los Angeles County Fire Department urban search and rescue technician Jasmine Segura and her live cadaver dog Cadillac prepare to depart for Haiti with their team from the Pacoima area of Los Angeles January 12, 2010. The team will travel to Haiti to help with rescue efforts after a magnitude 7.0 earthquake hit the capital Port-au-Prince.
    REUTERS/Gus Ruelas (UNITED STATES - Tags: DISASTER ENVIRONMENT)

Firefighters and search dogs trained to find live humans pass a truckload of equipment as they head for a briefing as members of the Los Angeles County Fire Department's Task Force 2 Search and Rescue team prepare leave for Haiti to help in that country's devastating earthquake, at the department's facility at Whiteman Air Park in Los Angeles Wednesday, Jan. 13, 2010.
    (AP Photo/Reed Saxon)

Members of French Civil Security rescue team who are based in Brignolles prepare to depart for Haiti with one of six specially trained sniffer dogs from the military base of Istres, southern France, January 13, 2010. The team will travel to Haiti to help with rescue efforts after a magnitude 7.0 earthquake hit the capital Port-au-Prince. REUTERS/Jean-Paul Pelissier
    (FRANCE - Tags: MILITARY DISASTER POLITICS SOCIETY)

Members of French Civil Security rescue team who are based in Brignolles prepare to depart for Haiti with six specially trained sniffer dogs from the military base of Istres, southern France, January 13, 2010. The team will travel to Haiti to help with rescue efforts after a magnitude 7.0 earthquake hit the capital Port-au-Prince. REUTERS/Jean-Paul Pelissier
    (FRANCE - Tags: MILITARY DISASTER POLITICS SOCIETY)

Elizabeth Kreitler, with the Fairfax County Urban Search and Rescue team deployed by USAID, looks down at Racker, a FEMA certified live human search dog, before boarding a plane for their rescue mission to Haiti, in Sterling, Va. on Wednesday Jan. 13, 2010.
    (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)

Engineer Jason Vasquez and 'Maverick,' his 8-year-old German Shepherd search dog, trained to find live humans, and other dogs and handlers listen to a briefing as members of the Los Angeles County Fire Department's Task Force 2 Search and Rescue team prepare leave for Haiti to help in that country's devastating earthquake, at the department's facility at Whiteman Air Park in Los Angeles Wednesday, Jan. 13, 2010.
    (AP Photo/Reed Saxon)

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I'm in! I just sent a contribution to The American Red Cross: http://www.redcross.org/

The 7.0 earthquake they've experienced is about 100 times stronger than any earthquake I've ever been in.

Add to that that their infrastructure is of pathetic, nearly-mud-hut quality... I can't imagine the suffering.

Disease is going to be a BIG problem.

...and I'm a softy for service dogs, service cats, and service turtles.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit