Religious people are funny

by sinis 37 Replies latest jw friends

• MissingLink
    MissingLink
    ... how you can take a book written centurys ago, and vague at that, and try to decern what the writers "really" meant and how the doomsday prophecys "really" indicated our times.

What I find funny about this is that EVERY generation since those things were originally written has managed to twist the verses so that it seems that THEIR generation is the one that all of history has been leading up to. And they NEVER LEARN!! Faith trumps thought every time with those nimrods.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

> Atheists BELIEVE that there is no God.

I also believe there is no Invisible Pink Unicorn on Pluto. I suspect you also believe the same. Can you prove there is not an Invisible Pink Unicorn on Pluto?

• sinis
    sinis

Atheists killed millions? BWAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA - nice try. RELIGION set the bitch of mass killing in motion...

• sinis
    sinis

You care enough to post on the subject.

Not really. Bored, need some conversation going. I should specify that I am NEITHER an athiest, nor a religious individual. I basically don't care either way. I guess I'll just eat and drink for tomorrow I may die :()

• dudeson
    dudeson

I noticed somebody brought up Dawkins. I'm curently reading 'The God Delusion'and thought this might be of some interest.

He shows a belief system based on the numbers 1 through 7. If you are a '1' you are a "Strong theist. 100 per cent probability of God. In the words of C. G. Jung, 'I do not believe, I know'."

Skip 2 through 5, we have 6, "Very low probability, but short of zero. De facto atheist. 'I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable, and I live my life on the assumption that he is not there'."

Number 7, "Strong atheist. 'I know there is no God, with the same conviction as Jung "knows" there is one."

He even goes on to say that he'd be surprised to meet very many who are in group 7.

Dawkins counts himself in category 6 where he says, "I am agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at the bottom of the garden."

It seems that a lot of people say atheists "know there is no God." If an atheist says that they are being just as hypocritical as some of their counterparts of religious faith who 'know' there is a God.

• sinis
    sinis

That was excellent dudeson!

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

A friend of my, who is an atheist once put it this way:

Its not that I don't believe in God, it's that I never met him and until I do, I don't know that he exists.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Sinis,

I tend to agree with you that religious people are funny. There is absolutely no end to them trying to judge, interpret, explain, look for codes and hidden messages or even set themselves up as semi-divine with regard to the bible. The only reason I became interested in the witnesses was because I was interested in end-time prophecy. It was not my intention to join a dictatorship and I certainly never believed anybody's divine claims and thought it rather presumptuous. While I believed in God I did not see the necessity for all their constant reading, prayer and never-ending guilt trips about doing more, more, more and having it drilled into our heads about how 'unworthy' we are. Whatever.

When all is said and done, my opinion of the JWs is that they have just put a slightly different spin on what has been rehashed over the centuries and dressed it up with a new costume. My experience has cured me of religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit