Are only Christians of good morals ?

by wobble 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• blondie
    blondie

(Romans

It seems here that Paul said that non-Christians (maybe non-Jews) did not have to follow the religious beliefs to do what was moral.

People are people and it does not take a religion to make a moral person.

2:14-15) . . .For whenever people of the nations that do not have law do by nature the things of the law, these people, although not having law, are a law to themselves. 15 They are the very ones who demonstrate the matter of the law to be written in their hearts, while their conscience is bearing witness with them and, between their own thoughts, they are being accused or even excused.

• wobble
    wobble

That scripture ,from Romans was in my mind as I posed the question that is the thread title, dear Blondie.

And Paul expanded by showing that (in chap. 9v1) a Christian should, with the help of the Holy Spirit have a heightened sense of conscience.

But it annoys me that Dubs, and a lot of those who call themselves "christian" think they have the sole franchise on morality, what arrogant nonsense.

They also seem to believe that those who don't believe in a god who will call you to account in the end are without conscience or moral compass, as I said above , that is untrue and a foul calumny , the conscience that comes from within the person is far stronger than any imposed from without.

Those with a weak conscience are those who look for otherws to decide for them what is right and wrong, and they are easy fodder for the Nazi mentality.

Hence JW's will kill their children , "Christians" will go to war, because they do not have their own conscience

Love

Wobble

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Blondie -- excellent scripture to post

It is utter nonsense that only Christians have good morals. I know plenty with the morals worse than a cat.

I used to wonder that since I still lived in a way that few JWs could take exception to, little I would be DFed for, that perhaps I was still following their beliefs.

That too is utter nonsense.

I live the way I do because it is moral and ethical. It has nothing to do with religion. When I deviate from this I wind up hurting myself so at my age I figure it just isn;t worth the pain it causes me.

I suspect the majority of people are the same regardless of what religion they belong to, or what country they are born in.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

What would the Apostle Paul say to Ann Coulter?

The Apostle Paul would probably tell her to shut up, put on her burqa, and start having babies to keep her "safe"!

And since Ann is accustomed to living the "rich life", Paul would let her ride in the back of her husband's limo...

limo

Now there's some good Christian morals that Paul would endorse!

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Of course Christians aren't the only people with good morals. And being in a minority compared to the world population, one has to wonder if world geography isn't something fundie Christians in the USA shouldn't pay more attention to.

I think people are inherently good or bad, and that religion oftentimes exacerbate who a person really is.

I respect Christians on here who follow Jesus but disavow in general organized religion. That makes a hell of a lot more sense to me. I have a bible, you do to. (if not, they are cheap, JW's have em in paperback for free ) Read about what Jesus said. You don't need a religious intermediary to tell you what Jesus wants you to do. If you are bent on being a Christian, and you believe that the gospels have the words of Jesus right, figure it out for yourself.

Sadly, I think (just one mans opinion here) that one reason Christians gather together is for community and to be around people of like minds. With that in mind, considering you are always going to have the prudes and self righteous among us, (just like the cynical) will hide their agendas behind religion.

Christianity, whatever it is, was, or is supposed to be, has been and always will be used to promote the agendas of others, be they good or bad.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I know aetheists with good morals and christains who are completely amoral - wasn't hitler a catholic?

• moshe
    moshe

Master Kan to Caine: (Kung Fu episode #5, 1972)

Seek always Peace. Wear no path for the footsteps of others unless the soul is endangered. We are linked by our souls. To endanger one, endangers all, but when one is endangered, then the soul must become a warrior.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit